Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
cpr1
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: Louisiana
Z12 Trusser???
      #5530326 - 11/20/12 02:34 PM

After visiting with and ordering a AstroSky 16 inch dob from James I think I was inspired by the aspect of building wooden truss dobs and started to wonder about my 12 inch Zhumell that I really only use at home in my light polluted skies.
For me it is just too long and unwieldy for the small vehicles that I own, but I am totally impressed by the views it can produce.

I have a Z10 also and that has been my goto scope when I go to a dark site. But, I don't feel like I am getting my moneys worth out of my 12.
So after much research and reading I decided to give it a go. This would be my first scope structure build. I plan to reuse as much as possible from the Z12 "Carcass". Eventually I decided to use some from the plans from CN member "Pinbout" Danny. which he has freely posted numerous times in posts.

So thanks Danny. Your plans work.

I also used other examples all over the net, and some from "The Book".

I reused the spider, holder, secondary mirror, primary mirror and cell. The focuser is a moonlite CR1, truss poles are 1 inch alum., lower connectors are moonlite, uppers are DIY with bicycle quick release. The moonlite connectors are a dream to use, and the quick release work great. I found examples of those on the internet.

It riding on FRP with Astro Systems bearing kit and pivot kit for Azimuth. Altitude is Ebonystar on Astrosystems teflon.

I am not finished yet still have do a few other things, shroud, electrical, dew heater, finder, so on.

It is definitely not perfect. I had a few mistakes along the way and some are still visible, but the end result is the scope balances well, is smooth, collimates easy, and most important I am happy with it. THX.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Z12 Trusser??? new [Re: cpr1]
      #5530348 - 11/20/12 02:48 PM

Quote:

So thanks Danny. Your plans work.

hEY before I read it I saw the alt bearings and said, "wow that looks too familair."

Glad to here it worked out for you.

Ksearles62

Reged: 11/26/11

Loc: Medical Lake WA
Re: Z12 Trusser??? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5530376 - 11/20/12 02:59 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Nice work!! I converted my Z8 a couple of years ago and caught the ATM bug. I finished my second build in June and have already started thinking about the next one.Clear Skies

Edited by Ksearles62 (11/20/12 03:02 PM)

cpr1
professor emeritus

Re: Z12 Trusser??? new [Re: Ksearles62]
      #5530400 - 11/20/12 03:14 PM

Thanks Danny and Kenny. Kenny I have seen your scope before and it is truly unique and a work of art.

If it wasn't for my visit with James and seeing his work I probably wouldn't have attempted this. My wife is happy because her house isn't quite the scope factory anymore.

starman345
Wait, I'm Thinking

Reged: 07/06/10

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5530411 - 11/20/12 03:24 PM

I don't see any of those visible mistakes you mentioned? It looks perfect to me. Congratulations on a great telescope.
Have you had it under the stars yet?

cpr1
professor emeritus

Re: Z12 Trusser??? new [Re: starman345]
      #5530439 - 11/20/12 03:36 PM

Brian, thanks for the comment. The top ring has a little bow in it from the plywood warping when I purchased the wood. I didn't notice it till later. The circle is fine just one lip rides up more than the other. The bottom ring is fine.

Also I doweled the struts to the rings and when I sanded I sanded too much and sanded through the veneer. I located the altitude bearings wrong and had to redrill. You can see the off white dots in the pics on the bearing. It is filler and as a reminder to myself I decided to poly over the filler without staining. I did that on purpose adds character.

There are a couple other things like that but they are minor. And hopefully I will learn from them. THX

Edited by cpr1 (11/20/12 08:30 PM)

cpr1
professor emeritus

#5530448 - 11/20/12 03:38 PM

Oh I forgot. I have had it under stars only to make sure all my eyepieces would focus and see how much travel I had left.

I hope to first light it over the week sometime. Off for holidays.

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5530513 - 11/20/12 03:59 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

would you like some vinyl graphics for your scope...

it's not a problem.

I hooked up some other people...just can't find an example at the moment.

ah here is one...I made him a "artie" for the focuser board also, not bad for the price of a postage.

Edited by Pinbout (11/20/12 06:45 PM)

cpr1
professor emeritus

#5530879 - 11/20/12 07:25 PM

That looks great Danny. Thanks for the offer. If I can think of what I want to do I will let you know. I appreciate that.

cpr1
professor emeritus

#5530892 - 11/20/12 07:33 PM

Here's a couple more shots of it.

cpr1
professor emeritus

#5530916 - 11/20/12 07:51 PM

That's a 3 lb 31mm axiom. It drifts when at a low angle with eyepiece. I may have to add counter weight when I add the telrad and finder. But I have not added my batteries to the mirror box yet. So will see. THX

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5532022 - 11/21/12 11:22 AM

Quote:

After visiting with and ordering a AstroSky 16 inch dob from James I think I was inspired by the aspect of building wooden truss dobs and started to wonder about my 12 inch Zhumell that I really only use at home in my light polluted skies.

Hey Chris.

so how would you comapare movements, from the stock mass produced dob's with small bearings to the K&B truss with large alt bearings?

cpr1
professor emeritus

#5532139 - 11/21/12 12:17 PM

The altitude movements are better than the stock bearings.Just as smooth and easy to start the motion with no stiction. Granted the bearings are new and I haven't put wax on it yet.
On azimuth I used 1.5 inch Teflon on frp It is smooth without being bumpy. I also used a pivot kit which helped.

I think the oversized 21inch bearings helped by giving me the abilty to change eyepieces without having to readjust weights or clutches or both.

Another plus is scope is much more stable.

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5532321 - 11/21/12 01:53 PM

Quote:

Another plus is scope is much more stable.

that's funny just this past weekend I was observing Jupiter on my 8in stellafane knockoff and I had the mag up there and was able to track it really well, smooth too.

but the other night I had my tv genesis on my desertsky mount viewing IO's transit infront of Jupiter. It was shaky, I never use to think it was so shaky. I soon moved back to my dob and will leave the desertsky for the wide views or on stuff like the lunar x like last night.

but this morning I had to move my dsv-1 mount and found that I hadn't screwed the head to the tripod very well. [I routinely remove the head for transportation]

cpr1
professor emeritus

#5533413 - 11/22/12 06:29 AM

I just wanted to add that the original Z12 scope was fine scope. It was the newer model with the adjustable altitude bearings and azimuth bearings. It only needed a small amount of counterweight with the largest eyepieces that I own.

I just did this for portability and because it was something I have not tried before.

Just something about a wooden telescope.
THX.

cpr1
professor emeritus

#5536508 - 11/24/12 12:21 AM

I was able to star test my rebuilt scope last night. Tonight it's cloudy. All my eyepieces come to focus! The first time I tried this they all came to focus but I did not have much inward travel left. So Newt called for cutting almost 3/4 inch off. Which worked out.

I did not have much time to observe and it was cold out and my fan was not hooked up. But, after an hour or so my mirror gave great views of Jupiter and the Orion nebula.
Vibrations were very minimal almost nonexistent actually. The old mount would vibrate for 2-4 second after touching the scope. It was very easy to track Jupiter at 300x. I did not experience any backlash or stiction. I still haven't waxed either bearing. So I am curious what this will do. I may not even do it until I start experiencing problems.

I do need to get a shroud soon. Just have not decided who's to go with. I wish I could sew and make something that would look decent.
Tonight I finished the wiring on the fan and batteries. I bought a cheap float charger from Harbor Freight on sale for Black Friday.

I was very impressed with how the larger Altitude bearings move. It doesn't matter whether I move it fast or slow the force required is the same throughout. And when I stop and let go it doesn't keep going. When I start again it requires the same amount of force to get it going as before. No extra pressure to get it started.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Indiana
      #5536972 - 11/24/12 10:22 AM

Very nice! What is your upper tube made from?

cpr1
professor emeritus

Re: Z12 Trusser??? new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #5537201 - 11/24/12 12:53 PM

Thanks, The rings are 1/2 birch. The struts are 1 inch x 3/4 birch, focuser board and finder board are 1/2 birch too.
The baffle or tube is oak veneer and I spray glued Hobby Lobby project foam sheets to the inside. The sheets are flat black and very light weight. The entire baffle is screwed to the struts with little stainless screws. I used all stainless hardware in the scope's constrution.

THX.

MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
      #5538395 - 11/25/12 09:01 AM

Wow, I have a Z12 and have thought of doing this myself, yours looks fantastic. Definitely considering this, the views from my 12 are awesome as well, it just takes up the whole car when it comes out. Plus my base got wet when hurricane sandy rolled through our area and flooded my shed just a little bit.

Where are the plans you are referencing? And if you don't mind, about how much did the materials cost?

Mike

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Z12 Trusser??? new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #5538448 - 11/25/12 09:52 AM

Quote:

Where are the plans you are referencing?

they are hidden deep inside an obscure thread so no one can find them.

I wouldn't get the home depot ply cause it is lame.

you might try to make your own truss connectors.

it could save you $100 per end.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1689

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics