Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Aircrftr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/29/06

Loc: Claremore OK
Revised Running Man ... Last revision!
      #5531018 - 11/20/12 08:51 PM

I managed to get 200 more minutes of LUM data which brings to totals to 10X600 RGB and 32X600 LUM. Take a look at the previous versions and see if you think the last one is best.. or if you all have suggestions, I'm all ears!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Revised Running Man ... Last revision! new [Re: Aircrftr]
      #5531029 - 11/20/12 08:56 PM

i think i like the colors in the 'original' version on astrobin, but this one is definitely deeper.

how you likin' that RC10C? i'm trying to figure out if i should ditch the AT10RC in favor of that scope. is it true that the focusing is done using the secondary mirror? that's what their website seems to imply but i thought primary to secondary spacing was critical for these types of scope.

maybe i just misunderstood something.

Aircrftr
Pooh-Bah

Re: Revised Running Man ... Last revision! new [Re: pfile]
      #5531065 - 11/20/12 09:19 PM

The RC10C is head and shoulders above the AT10C. I had The AT10RC and it isn't a good scope for heavy cameras or large format. I kept getting differences in collimation depending on what attitude I had the scope in because the focuser assembly is directly hooked to the mirror cell. The DSI RC10C is totally rigid mounting on the camera and the focuer is very good. Often I will scootch my focus by a couple of units during an exposure when I get a temp drop of a couple of degrees just to keep my focus accurate and I never see the star move on my guide chip display. On temperature stability, I refocus every couple of degrees of change to keep my focus sharp. I won't see double diffraction spikes if I don't but I want to keep my FWHM as sharp as I can.
Honestly, I can't say anything bad about this scope. Sharp stars all the way past the edge at the corners and on my guide chip. One thing though, the fans suck air into the OTA from the front and I personally think it dirties up the mirror faster... It sure does make a difference in the image with them on however. I'm getting an AG Optical 17" IDK (supposed to be delivered the latter part of this month) and thought about selling the DSI but I really don't think I want to get rid of it. With my FSQ 106, the DSI and the IDK, I'll have a good range of scopes for a wide variety of objects that go great with the STL camera.

Long winded, but I hope it helps.

Edited by Aircrftr (11/20/12 09:24 PM)

pfile
Post Laureate

#5531078 - 11/20/12 09:28 PM

well i am just at the beginning of my AT10RC collimation story. it got cloudy before i could finish tweaking it, so i don't know how good it can get, nor how well it will hold. i had previously bought an AT6RC kind of on a whim and enjoyed that scope, so i had faith in the AT10RC. but now i know what it's limitations are and how difficult it is to collimate.

i guess the only thing that bothered me about the RC10C is that it has to be mounted using rings. somehow having a rail attached to the telescope makes me feel a lot better.

Aircrftr
Pooh-Bah

#5531093 - 11/20/12 09:34 PM

LOL.. Rings, rail.. it's all good.
For the life of me I cannot figure out why they designed it to where you mount your entire imaging train to the mirror cell instead of the rear casting.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
      #5531104 - 11/20/12 09:40 PM

Congrats on the new AGO iDK you have in the works Aircrftr. Dave does quality scopes!

Aircrftr
Pooh-Bah

Re: Revised Running Man ... Last revision! new [Re: DeanS]
      #5531124 - 11/20/12 09:49 PM

Thanks! I'm all giddy N stuff LOL. Actually, I'm getting ready to retire so this will be my last big purchase for quite a while. Dave has been a pleasure to work with. I really look forward to the scope. I've already built a block and tackle system on a rail into the top of my observatory so I can hoist it up to the mount by myself. Everything is ready and I'm just waiting!

pfile
Post Laureate

#5531175 - 11/20/12 10:22 PM

huh, had never seen the AGO telescopes before. had been ogling the officina stellare scopes - these look (physically) similar. i guess these are more along the lines of planewave though.

that 17 is going to be a monster. very nice.

as you know, the GSO scopes are really cheap compared to these "real" scopes. so i guess something had to give. still you are right, the design is wacky.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5531244 - 11/20/12 10:52 PM

I like it, Dan!! You ought to frame a bunch of them and give them as Christmas gifts.

David

Aircrftr
Pooh-Bah

#5531254 - 11/20/12 10:59 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Dave sent me a picture of one of the 17" IDK's under construction..
And I believe the AT10RC would be a good scope for cameras like an 8300 or smaller. For the STL chip, there was just too much field curvature for any good guiding on the guide chip or focus to be the same across the imaging chip.

pfile
Post Laureate

#5531280 - 11/20/12 11:12 PM

schweet!!

yeah - i am using an STT-8300 so the curvature is not that big of a problem. the AT10 will do for a while, assuming i can get it collimated nicely. it just needs a touchup.

Aircrftr
Pooh-Bah

Re: Revised Running Man ... Last revision! new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5531286 - 11/20/12 11:16 PM

LOL.. no way do I think my images are good enough for anything like that. But on the other hand... no Christmas shopping.... Hmmmm.

kfir Simon
Vendor-PowerNewt

Reged: 09/21/10

#5533451 - 11/22/12 07:18 AM

The extra data really adds.
Great job,

Kfir

bill w
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/05

Loc: southern california
Re: Revised Running Man ... Last revision! new [Re: kfir Simon]
      #5534610 - 11/22/12 11:07 PM

like the detail and depth
prefer the color on the first

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 491

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics