Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
AXAF
sage

Reged: 09/15/04

Loc: New England
Spectrum Coating Options
      #5531668 - 11/21/12 08:24 AM

Hi all:

It's time to recoat my 12" mirror, and am thinking of sending it down to Spectrum Coatings. Out of curiosity, I see that Paul offers a coating product called "R"© EAL, which is supposed to be highly efficient and uniform over the visible band. Has anyone had personal experience with this one? It definitely sounds like the way to go.

The other question I have, is I know that some coating systems mount the mirrors in the chambers with clips, such that the edge of the mirror, in a few spots, can be devoid of the coating. Does a Spectrum Mirror coating cover the entire surface?

Thanks and regards.

Gary

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Spectrum Coating Options new [Re: AXAF]
      #5531897 - 11/21/12 10:33 AM

Your mirror would not have to travel as far if you sent it to Majestic Coatings in New Jersey. They do not use edge clips.

JimC

Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Spectrum Coating Options new [Re: AXAF]
      #5531902 - 11/21/12 10:35 AM

I have it on a 14.7" mirror. No clip marks on that mirror, and the coating seems quite good. I've had it for about 2 years, no visible degradation so far.

Thanks,

Jarad

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Spectrum Coating Options new [Re: Jarad]
      #5532336 - 11/21/12 02:02 PM

I have the "R"© EAL coatings by Spectrum on my 12" dob, and was pleased with both the promptness and quality of service and work by Spectrum. Paul was reasoably accessible by phone to discuss the options for coatings. Yes I'd use Spectrum again.

There were no coating-clip marks on my mirror either when I got it back from Spectrum. However, intermittent contact by the mirror with even well-adjusted mirror cell clips in my scope eventually causes a noticeable wear mark on the coatings that somewhat mimics coating clip-marks when I take the mirror out of its cell for an occasional light rinse with distilled water. For that reason, when returning the mirror to its cell afterward, I make sure the mirror is in the same orientation relative to the clips so the wear-marks are hidden underneath the overhang of the clips.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 467

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics