Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Craigslist addict?
      #5531940 - 11/21/12 10:50 AM

Do you ever find yourself regularly perusing craigslist, looking for equipment? Of course, generally, it's low end stuff, mostly crummy 60mm refractors, but sometimes I just can't keep my hands off it.

Case in point... I just bought a Tasco 8V (with the Polaris mount, always wanted a decent, smaller, equatorial mount for PST/smaller refractors, etc)... oh, and then I noticed that the same fellow was selling a 4 1/2" StarBlast.

I'm not saying that I automatically buy this stuff, but if it's something I might have a use for, mildly interested in, maybe think I can 'flip', I just toss out an offer and see if they'll bite... in this case he did... $150 for the Tasco and another $50 for the StarBlast (guess he liked the idea of doing both in one transaction).

So what kind of purchases have you made on Craigslist?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Craglist addict? new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5531976 - 11/21/12 11:01 AM

Quote:

I keep an eye on the local Craigslist as well as other local classified ads.. I cannot count the number of scopes I have purchased from CL... A few examples:

- 80mm WO Megrez II FD with diagonal, unused, the guy never bought a tripod for it. $425

- 16 inch Meade Starfinder Dob $350 definitely used.

- Meade-Mizar 80mm F/11 model 320 $50

- Meade 12.5 inch RG $500..

- 60mm F/13.3 Asahi-Pentax: they wanted nothing but I gave the $20 I had in my wallet.

- RV-6 $40 and $125. (2)

- Homemade 8 inch F/6 Dob with Parks Mirror, Protostar secondary, JMI focuser + Meade 6.7mm Series 4000 UWA $200. This one was a real surprise. I paid the money and when I picked it up, the OTA had 30lbs of steel plates for balance.. an 8 inch Truss style with a 55 lbs OTA!!

I have gotten some great deals but in the long run it is probably not cost effective because generally I end up giving the scope to someone who has more use for it than I, leaving me out the money and sometimes even paying shipping...

Jon

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Craglist addict? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5531981 - 11/21/12 11:05 AM

Quote:

...leaving me out the money and sometimes even paying shipping...

Money's obviously not the fuel that keeps you going at this.

Fox1971

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Oregon
Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5532004 - 11/21/12 11:16 AM

Case in point. There is an ad in my local C-list for a Celestron G-9.25" with equatorial mount for $600.00. Hardly ever used and in original box. Probably could get it for $500 as the ad has been posted for over a week now.

omahaastro
sage

Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: Fox1971]
      #5532027 - 11/21/12 11:25 AM

(trying to find that Celestron... maybe not Portland?...)

Obviously the larger metropolitan areas have some good *BLEEP*.

Oh, Eugene... there you are.

Edited by omahaastro (11/21/12 11:30 AM)

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
      #5532203 - 11/21/12 12:44 PM

I picked up a 6 month old C6N-ASGT for $400. I look at least on or twice a week and not for just astronomy stuff. There's always something I really don't need to buy on CL...

Stan

Stan

Erik30

Reged: 10/16/12

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN
Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5532293 - 11/21/12 01:39 PM

I always look on Craigslist for stuff.. Sometimes there are deals and sometimes not. I do love how people try to over price somethings also. There was a 10" Zhumell dob, new in the box without a base the seller wanted $600. He listed it as MSRP at $999.

Erik30

Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: Erik30]
      #5532300 - 11/21/12 01:41 PM

Just looked again.. He dropped it down to $350.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/for/3399782454.html

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5532329 - 11/21/12 01:59 PM

Quote:

The ending sentence in the ad: "Makes a unique holiday gift with an opportunity for a budding astrologer..." That's why I never look at the Craigslist ads!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5532422 - 11/21/12 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The ending sentence in the ad: "Makes a unique holiday gift with an opportunity for a budding astrologer..." That's why I never look at the Craigslist ads!

Well, considering it doesn't have a mount, astrology is about all it's good for.

omahaastro
sage

Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5532558 - 11/21/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

That's funny, although on the contrary, that's why I do look at craigslist... often, these folks have no idea what they even have. True, some ask way too much money (if only at first)... but others, are just trying to get rid of something, without regard for what its true value may be.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5532616 - 11/21/12 04:39 PM

Tho at $350 it might be a good enough deal, i'm waay too far away to even consider it.

Guess it just wasn't in the stars for me, eh?

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5532904 - 11/21/12 08:14 PM

Jeff only rarily have I looked around on CL within a 250 mile radius. I've never discovered much. Now that I know your out there cultivating the same neighborhood I don't stand a chance anymore!! Mike

Erik30

Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5532938 - 11/21/12 08:51 PM

If he comes down to $200 I will jump.. I can always build a dob base for a 10" reflector to keep at my cabin.

k9yr

Reged: 05/21/08

Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago
      #5533135 - 11/21/12 11:35 PM

I have bought an 8inch Criterion SCT no mount for $50, 8 inch F8 homebrew dob with and eyepiece set for $75, 80mm long and short tube Celestron refractors with mounts for $50 each, Meade ETX 125 with a boatload of accesories with all the boxes for $300. I love the thrill of the hunt, I play with them then flip them for a bit more.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5533367 - 11/22/12 04:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And just why is that? Even on Astromart there are some goofy ads but there are some wonderful bargains on Craigslist...

One reason I look at the Craigslist ads is that sometimes I find someone who is looking for help with the telescope. 4 or 5 years ago, I saw someone looking for a 10 inch Dob... He seemed like a good guy so I loaned him mine until he found one. He has become a good friend of my wife and I, an observing partner. When he went back to India to be married, my wife attended the wedding..

You never know what you might find looking for telescopes on Craigslist. It might be an 80mm William Optics Fluorite Doublet for the price of an ED-80, it might be someone lost and needing help with their telescope or it might be a lifelong friend .

Jon

omahaastro
sage

Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5533886 - 11/22/12 12:35 PM

See this 12" LX90 ACF?? The guy is flipping it... I just missed out on it, some guy was selling it for only -$500- a couple of months ago... although the defacing of the OTA was a bit odd (apparently the 'flipper' can't get it off either.. as it was visible in the original listing). Now listed at a more optimistic $1900.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/pho/3426118746.html

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
      #5533977 - 11/22/12 01:36 PM

Quote:

See this 12" LX90 ACF?? The guy is flipping it... (apparently the 'flipper' can't get it off either.. as it was visible in the original listing). Now listed at a more optimistic $1900.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/pho/3426118746.html

That guy has a bunch of ads - apparently he flips a bunch of stuff. I've dealt with him. He seems like a good guy and doesn't engage in any kind of deceptive behavior - the items match the description.

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: Craigslist addict? new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5533998 - 11/22/12 01:55 PM

<< Do you ever find yourself regularly perusing craigslist >>

No

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5534321 - 11/22/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Do you ever find yourself regularly perusing craigslist, looking for equipment? Of course, generally, it's low end stuff, mostly crummy 60mm refractors, but sometimes I just can't keep my hands off it.

Case in point... I just bought a Tasco 8V (with the Polaris mount, always wanted a decent, smaller, equatorial mount for PST/smaller refractors, etc)... oh, and then I noticed that the same fellow was selling a 4 1/2" StarBlast.

I'm not saying that I automatically buy this stuff, but if it's something I might have a use for, mildly interested in, maybe think I can 'flip', I just toss out an offer and see if they'll bite... in this case he did... $150 for the Tasco and another $50 for the StarBlast (guess he liked the idea of doing both in one transaction).

It's funny, but I seldom come to this forum, but when I did, I read your thread and asked myself, "hm... I wonder what's listed on CL today?" So I went there and found an ad for telescope parts that I decided I could use, so I sent the seller an email!

Yep, I'm a CL junkie!

-Tim.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1619

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics