Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand?
      #5532241 - 11/21/12 01:07 PM

These last few years have been tough for a good number of folks. Especially those on fixed income as they relay on CD and MM rates which have effectively gone to near zero.

So I am wondering if the lack of demand is the real reason why we have seen so many announcements for new series of eyepieces and yet the release date keeps getting pushed back.

Personally I have seen used TV prices drop a tad more than what can be explained by their 10% off sale. (ie a 13mm Ethos - 1 went for $365 and another for $400). Oh and it hasn't been just TV either that prices have softened up on.

Edited by Dave Ittner (11/21/12 02:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5532369 - 11/21/12 02:22 PM

Wonder when ES is going to ship all those backordered ES68* 24mm eyepieces. I've been waiting since May....

M44
sage

Reged: 03/24/07

Loc: SoCal.
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5532404 - 11/21/12 02:39 PM

There will be a cargo being received this week with the new 25mm 100 deg. eyepiece, I suppose the cargo also holds other items.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5532625 - 11/21/12 04:46 PM

Interesting thought. It's a small market and I suspect could be saturated pretty easily. I remember when they were selling the last production run of the TMB Supermonos they didn't sell at all. Even at fire sale prices it took over a year to move them. Tom Back said he thought they had saturated the market.

Abb

Reged: 11/19/10

Loc: Windsor Ontario Canada
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5533181 - 11/22/12 12:09 AM

Quote:

Wonder when ES is going to ship all those backordered ES68* 24mm eyepieces. I've been waiting since May....

I had one on order last spring and after almost 3 months I cancelled and bought the readily available Baader 24mm 68° instead with absolutely no regrets!

Good luck!

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
      #5533608 - 11/22/12 09:36 AM

Quote:

So I am wondering if the lack of demand is the real reason why we have seen so many announcements for new series of eyepieces and yet the release date keeps getting pushed back.

Just a guess, but isn't it likely that new designs would be bought more by new comers then to the more established owners who basically would be satisfied with what they have? If that's any way near accurate then the rate of adding new members would be an important factor. As I'm too new to all of this I have no sense of that rate going up or down in the last few years. So I dunno about that, or much of anything else.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: howard929]
      #5533626 - 11/22/12 09:51 AM

Quote:

to the more established owners who basically would be satisfied with what they have?

Few are ever satisfied with what they have. Most look forward to trying the newest, greatest, hot item to hit the market. I thought I was at a point of not wanting more eyepieces; but the ES30 called my name, & I answered. Of course getting it, makes me look at the rest of my lineup.

sg6
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Norfolk, UK.
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: howard929]
      #5533657 - 11/22/12 10:09 AM

Astronomy isn't exactly a majority hobby and the new eyepieces always seem to be high end ones. So to an extent a small market within a small market.

Many of the more budget eyepieces are very good, thinking of the A-T Paradigms here. Then throw in the limitations many people are looking at concerning buying another fairly costly eyepiece and I guess the market is a bit slow.

Unless whatever new eyepiece is significantly better there isn't a reason to just buy one to many people. Even if one is as good but cheaper then no reason to buy if you already have the alternative good EP.

Equally if they have designed and produced a new eyepiece the only way to get a return is to start selling them.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5533663 - 11/22/12 10:12 AM

Quote:

Few are ever satisfied with what they have.

I'm now happy to count myself among the *few*. Of course, this was after a several-year journey of buying and selling, sampling what I could find on the used market until I arrived at a collection that works really well for me. Now, I'm not saying that I'll never buy another EP, but I'd like to think that I'll be satisfied for a long, long time. While there are some types of EPs that I've never tried (the Ethos line comes to mind), I'm not at all tempted, as I really can't personally justify spending that kind of cash on an EP. But, you know, if I came across a gently used one, and the price was right...hmm.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5533680 - 11/22/12 10:20 AM

Quote:

But, you know, if I came across a gently used one, and the price was right...hmm.

MitchAlsup
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/09

#5534024 - 11/22/12 02:15 PM

Quote:

Then you probably did not do enough research before purchasing.

I was satisfied for over 2 decades with my Nagler (1s and 2s) collection. And over the last 1.5 years have rotated them out for Ethoi and an 9ES120, keeping only the 31NT5. I remain satisfied. When the 25ES100 arrives, I will buy one of them also and see if the 31NT5 remains in the collection.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5534088 - 11/22/12 03:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But, you know, if I came across a gently used one, and the price was right...hmm.

See what I get for listening to you? Just picked up an 11mm T1 Nagler (box incl) for a very good price...

skypilgrim
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/25/06

Loc: PNW, US
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: sg6]
      #5534174 - 11/22/12 04:21 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Very well said sg6. That's probably also the case with EPs that did come to market but didn't last very long... like the Meade 5000 plossls. I have the 26mm and like it very much, but for perhaps the reasons you mention, dropped it yet maintained their 4000 line.

Sam

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

#5534217 - 11/22/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

Unless whatever new eyepiece is significantly better there isn't a reason to just buy one to many people. Even if one is as good but cheaper then no reason to buy if you already have the alternative good EP.

This is so true. Most folks don't buy a new car just to do a test drive. And whatever features are newer and better don't always have enough appeal to woo customers who already have a functional set. I didn't buy the nitrogen fill for my auto tires and I'm not going to replace my eyepieces to get the latest nitrogen flush there.

Personally, I think the eyepieces I have will do. Before I bought them they were described as "lifetime purchases" so why would I even consider parting with them? And I really don't want another couple of thousand dollars sitting idle in the closet. So I have looked at the Ethos and Delos and the ES 68 and ES 82 but I'm not at all hungry.

dan

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5534273 - 11/22/12 05:58 PM

Quote:

Astronomy isn't exactly a majority hobby and the new eyepieces always seem to be high end ones. So to an extent a small market within a small market.

Funny though how so many companies are staying in business and bringing out new eyepieces almost every year in this "small" hobby! Given the number of companies in this business, either making it or reselling it, must be fairly good.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5534773 - 11/23/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

Astronomy isn't exactly a majority hobby and the new eyepieces always seem to be high end ones.

I see a significant number of new midrange and lower priced eyepieces, eyepieces under $100 that are similar to the TMB Planetary's. Look at what Astro-Tech has to offer...

Jon

Monoeil

Reged: 08/01/11

#5535000 - 11/23/12 08:28 AM

Wrong. The market looks forward people to buying the newest,...., items. You don't satisfy a need buying new stuff, it is a myth consumerism wants you to believe.

I know what I need and I want what I got: 1 scope and 4 eyepieces, no more. Everything else is irrelevant to me.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5535067 - 11/23/12 09:07 AM

If past experience is any idicatior, the Televue sale is a mechanism for reducing inventory and almost always signals a price increase.

There are many factors that would account for delay and your time speculating about it could be better spent on a letter to santa.

Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
Re: EPs not coming to mrkt due to lack of demand? new [Re: MitchAlsup]
      #5535390 - 11/23/12 12:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Then you probably did not do enough research before purchasing.

I was satisfied for over 2 decades with my Nagler (1s and 2s) collection. And over the last 1.5 years have rotated them out for Ethoi and an 9ES120, keeping only the 31NT5. I remain satisfied. When the 25ES100 arrives, I will buy one of them also and see if the 31NT5 remains in the collection.

My approach is similar - and I have a 25ES100 on order. I need to get the best out of my 22".
Clears,

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5537641 - 11/24/12 06:28 PM

My guess with ES is that they are a new company and didn't realize how long it would take to desin, develop, and get production capability to meet the demand. Hand built is they only build a few, Celland and/or assembly line if they sell lots of them.

Tsunami, Huricanes and other Natural disasters are on the rise also and if one raw amterial is taken out it may take time to redevelop or find alternative.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
30 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1768

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics