Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Problem with my new SkyCommander new
      #5531746 - 11/21/12 09:14 AM

My new Sky Commander isn't working properly and I'm hoping someone out there can offer some help. When I move my scope in azimuth (it's a dob) both the RA numbers and the DEC numbers move even though that seems impossible. When I move the scope in altitude neither the RA or DEC numbers move. That is what happens when the Sky Commander is showing the actual position. When the Sky Commander is set to show me what direction to move the scope to find an object the problem is different. In that case when I move the scope in azimuth everything seems fine but when I move the scope in altitude there is no movement of the DEC numbers. It would seem to be a simple case of either the altitude encoder or the connecting cable that goes to the altitude encoder not working properly except for the fact that when showing the actual position the DEC and the RA numbers both move when moving the scope in azimuth. That makes me wonder if there's a problem with the box. Anyone ever see anything like this? Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill Kocken
sage

Reged: 08/07/04

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN
Re: Problem with my new SkyCommander new [Re: City Kid]
      #5531863 - 11/21/12 10:16 AM

sounds like one of two problems.
1.) Is your Sky Commander configured properly? Make sure it thinks it is hooked up to an alt/az scope and not an equatorial one. Check your manual.
2.) If that doesn't work, I would suspect a problem with your wiring.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Problem with my new SkyCommander new [Re: Bill Kocken]
      #5532146 - 11/21/12 12:20 PM

The Sky Commander is configured properly. The thing is, everything was checked out prior to me receiving it and it all worked fine. The Sky Commander is on my new Teeter 12.5" Classic and Rob checked it all out prior to shipping me the scope. I have no doubt that Rob will help me figure this all out but he is on vacation until after Thanksgiving and I would like to get everything working right now.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5532245 - 11/21/12 01:09 PM

Hmm... the only thing I can think of is to make sure the locking pins for both encoders are tightened. Other than that, it certainly sounds like there's something wrong with either the cable or the SC unit itself.

You can also try contacting Sky Engineering in the meantime and see if they can help you.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Problem with my new SkyCommander [Re: tezster]
      #5532260 - 11/21/12 01:20 PM

I emailed Sky Engineering on Saturday but I haven't gotten a reply. I have also double checked the locking pins to be sure they are tight. What I would really like to do is switch the wires going to the encoders to see if the problem moves with the switch but my rocker box has a huge mass of wires and I don't want to mess with them unless I have no other options. I should add that the scope also has ServoCat Jr., a powered groundboard, and a Markless stalk. I think what I will try is disconnecting the stalk and plugging the Sky Commander directly into the wires that plug into the stalk. That would at least let me know if I can eliminate the stalk as a potential source of the problem.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5540316 - 11/26/12 01:33 PM

Did you try reversing the cables? Also, make sure that the cables are inserted firmly in the encoders (with a "click").

Also, the cables should form a "Y". The junction plug is the one that should go into the Sky Commander. The plugs on the ends of the two arms of the Y are the ones that should go into the encoders. Because you're getting a single encoder to "spin" both altitude and azimuth numbers simultaneously, it almost sounds like the junction of the Y (where two cables meet) is inserted into an encoder.

Pictures might help, too.

EDIT: The stalk could be the culprit too, if the internal wiring has shorted or something. Definitely take the stalk out of the equation and test. Good luck.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (11/26/12 01:36 PM)

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Problem with my new SkyCommander new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5544620 - 11/28/12 09:49 PM

An update: Rob is sending me new cables and a new Sky Commander box so I can swap out and figure this thing out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 417

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics