Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
salty

Reged: 01/27/12

80/9D came today
      #5533001 - 11/21/12 09:50 PM

glad it came today with the holiday tomorrow.
I am still trying to decide on a mount.
First,let me say I am stunned at how big this scope is. You don't really get a real sense of the size in pictures.In person it looks big.I was reading that the stellarvue mounts-gibralter etc etc are alright for this scope up to medium magnifications but not good enough for high-like 150 or 200X.
It's confusing to a newbie like me and I even read that some justtake the mount on the CG-5 and put it on a heavier tripod. I'm lost.I should just get the porta II mount for now and forget about it-any stability difference between the porta II and the pro model?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sky Muse
sage

Reged: 10/26/12

Loc: De Soto County, MS
Re: 80/9D came today new [Re: salty]
      #5533226 - 11/22/12 12:59 AM

It'd be a lot more enjoyable mounted on a Celestron CG-4 GEM motorised in at least right ascension, centering an object in the eyepiece, back into the house for awhile, then returning to find the object still centered.

salty

Re: 80/9D came today new [Re: Sky Muse]
      #5533595 - 11/22/12 09:30 AM

well black friday is the day to buy one and I'm looking

salty

#5533605 - 11/22/12 09:36 AM

Seems to ba quite a few were sold recently in the classifieds here.
maybe they are not that good?

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
      #5533644 - 11/22/12 10:03 AM

I had one & it worked fine on a Celestron heavy-duty altazimuth mount. Very portable. Optics were avarage I would say. The scope was very nicely made.

Jim

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
      #5533647 - 11/22/12 10:05 AM

Nice scope, salty! The SV80/9D that I purchased in 2004 was my first "real" refractor. I initially mounted it on a UA Unistar Light mount, which was adequate until I upgraded to a 2" diagonal and heavier EPs. Now I primarily use a UA Unistar Heavy mount; my CG5-ASGT is easily capable of handling this scope as well.

BarrySimon615
Pa Bear

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: 80/9D came today new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5533712 - 11/22/12 10:41 AM

I have had the SV80/9D since early 2005 and I am happy with mine. Optics are very good for an achromat and a relatively fast f/9.4. It is a versatile scope with uses as a guide scope, grab and go and as an optical platform for my Coronado 60mm h-alpha solar filter.

I would strongly recommend that you upgrade to the StellarVue Clamshell, which has a built-in Vixen rail plus 1/4-20 threaded holes. This allows for easy mounting to my TeleVue Gibralter mount plus my Celestron CG-4 mount which are both excellent with this scope.

(The standard dual rings that came with mine had relatively thin felt linings and I found that opening and closings of the rings would have the pivot hinge point of the rings hitting the paint on the tube. This may not be a problem with yours, but I would check this to see if your rings are ok.)

Look for the clamshell here: http://www.stellarvue.com/rings.html

Barry Simon

Sky Muse
sage

Reged: 10/26/12

Loc: De Soto County, MS
      #5533812 - 11/22/12 11:44 AM

Yeah, and if they weren't that good, they'd still be for sale, wouldn't they.

Notice, all have sold except for...

...one in Lithuania...

...and another for sale as an auto-guiding rig.

I suspect some folks research before they buy thinking it to be a "wonder mount" capable of handling larger scopes and for slightly-less-than-serious astrophotography, and are disappointed afterwards, so they sell them and buy something larger, and more expensive. Realistically, its refractor limit is a 4" f/8(crosses fingers) or smaller, although some are satisfied mounting slightly larger scopes. Celestron is presently mounting heaven and earth upon them, with a fast 6" f/5 refractor to boot.

Have you read this...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/celestron_CG4.htm

...?

Your 80mm f/9.4 Stellarvue will love it, and with an equatorial you may accomplish higher magnifications. Of course, if you don't care for the blindingly all-white mount, Orion offers the almost-identical "SkyView Pro" in black...

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Equatorial-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-SkyVi...

...but for $399. I got my CG-4 for $264.99 with free shipping. It was a no-brainer.

My CG-4 was in a big brown truck breezing along I-40 through Dallas the other day. It's in Memphis now, just fifteen miles away. I hope it arrives tomorrow.

But I can wait...no, not really...

I've already received the dual-axis motors with the hand controller. Presently, the motors are dangling from my ears, with the hand controller being utilised in a vain attempt to change red lights when I'm in town.

I went ahead and ordered the Orion 16" extension, and for clearing the tripod along with added stability. After it's all said and done, it'll be my mini-observatory, coupled with my refractor and, for times when I take the refractor for granted, my Orion 6" f/5 reflector, that is, after I remove it from its laminated particle-board turntable and install a dovetail, also ordered.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Alan

salty

Re: 80/9D came today new [Re: Sky Muse]
      #5533884 - 11/22/12 12:35 PM

trying to find the best black friday price on the CG-4
thanks

astrogeezer41

Reged: 08/27/10

#5533994 - 11/22/12 01:53 PM

Hi Salty,

I'm glad to hear that you got your SV80/9D and I expect that you will be very happy with it. My SV80/9D is a favorite and
definitely a keeper.

I have mounted mine on three different mounts, all alt-az:
an Orion Versa-Go, an Astro-Tech Voyager with 8" pier extension, and an SV MG2 mount. It worked well on all three,
even at 200x. I find alt-az viewing more comfortable and
grab-and-go and do not do imaging.

It's funny how people react differently to the appearance of
a new telescope. You thought yours looked big and I thought
that mine was a neat little grab-and-go.

I had mine out last night and got great views of Jupiter,
split a couple of favorite doubles and just had a great time. I wish you similar adventures with yours.

Robert
SV80 Aplanat
SV 80/9D
SV102F11 ("The 80/9D on steroids")
6"f/8 Planetary Newtonian (homemade)

Tom S.

Reged: 02/16/07

Loc: Benicia, Calif.
      #5536260 - 11/23/12 09:01 PM

I have a SV102ED with a 50mm illuminated reticle finder scope which I'm guessing is similar weight to your 80/9D, and similar in terms of mounting requirements. I use mine on two mounts: a Stellarvue M2 on top of a Bogen 3046 tripod, and an LXD75. The former is great for quick peaks and traveling, and usable for high-power (e.g. 140x) viewing as long as the eyepiece TFOV isn't too small. The latter is rock-solid, not as quick to set up as the M2 but still not bad, and has great tracking and GOTO for visual observing and even some rough AP.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 699

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics