Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5524260 - 11/17/12 12:07 PM

Quote:

Steve...OK it's been several days of answers. Now have you broke ground yet?? You have no more LP than me and I had no option. I wanted an observatory that could be ready at the eyepiece in less than 5 minutes max!! Do it man there ain't no second chance....that I'm sure of. Mike

Building permit is applied for which should be available next week if they do it in the time frame they promise. Just waiting for that before getting my ATS pier ordered (which takes three months). But I do have a question or two for you: do you do AP and visually how much can you see?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5524405 - 11/17/12 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

BTW, this was suggested to me before I built. Put in TWO piers. On the secondary pier put a scope that doesn't need much time to acclimate. This way you have a scope to observe with while the big gun is cooling.

Interesting. I was considering a second piggy back scope (possibly solar) to utilize the mount for both but you think that a second pier is better?

Put a little thought into climate control of the observatory. I did and have no temperature issues, even on the hottest summer days. Spend what you have to during construction and get the most from your investment or live with the problems for the life of the observatory.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Lorence]
      #5524562 - 11/17/12 03:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BTW, this was suggested to me before I built. Put in TWO piers. On the secondary pier put a scope that doesn't need much time to acclimate. This way you have a scope to observe with while the big gun is cooling.

Interesting. I was considering a second piggy back scope (possibly solar) to utilize the mount for both but you think that a second pier is better?

Put a little thought into climate control of the observatory. I did and have no temperature issues, even on the hottest summer days. Spend what you have to during construction and get the most from your investment or live with the problems for the life of the observatory.

An excellent point that is well addressed in your website. I will plan accordingly (although I am using a dome)

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: thesungazer]
      #5524875 - 11/17/12 06:49 PM

Greg, anybody, what are you doing with the cables between the computer and scope? Are you using USB cables, where applicable?

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5524878 - 11/17/12 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve...OK it's been several days of answers. Now have you broke ground yet?? You have no more LP than me and I had no option. I wanted an observatory that could be ready at the eyepiece in less than 5 minutes max!! Do it man there ain't no second chance....that I'm sure of. Mike

Building permit is applied for which should be available next week if they do it in the time frame they promise. Just waiting for that before getting my ATS pier ordered (which takes three months). But I do have a question or two for you: do you do AP and visually how much can you see?

No I have not started any AP as of yet. I'm more visual. But I'll take the word's of others that say I'd be able to in these urban skies.....when I get good and ready. Mike

thesungazer
Sungazer

Reged: 05/06/03

Loc: Maryland
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Calypte]
      #5525022 - 11/17/12 08:17 PM

The cables (DC power, serial, USB) are not installed in that shot, Calypte. They're currently zip tied to the pier and run below the carpet. That keeps me from tripping over them at night.

Congrats on the permit, Steve. You're going to love it! Keep this thread going when you start to build. Watching people build their observatories here on CN is one of my favorite pastimes on the net.

Greg

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: thesungazer]
      #5525054 - 11/17/12 08:42 PM

Greg, I'm about to have an observatory built. The guys are supposed to be here as soon as tomorrow afternoon Up to now, I've been able to use pretty short cables. But when the observatory is finished, I'd like to run them under the carpet/mat, as you suggest. But I haven't seen USB cables long enough to do the job. Maybe there's an industrial source (as opposed to Staples, Best Buy, etc.).

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5525288 - 11/17/12 11:33 PM

I'm sorry, did you say you already have an AP 1600 GTO and a CDK 17 and you *HOPE* to get into AP? Holy cats, what are you going to do if you get into it? Launch your own space telescope?

-Rich

Quote:

Thanks much! My wife is primarily a visual observer. I also really like visual observation but hope to learn how to do AP as well. Planned equipment, by the way, is an AP 1600GTO mount with a Planewave CDK 17 scope.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5525575 - 11/18/12 06:22 AM

We originally got interested in astronomy because of visual observation and we both enjoy that. Over time, I became interested in AP but there is a pretty significant learning curve there.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5525829 - 11/18/12 10:38 AM

This is true. AP isn't easy.

-Rich

Phil Wheeler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Calypte]
      #5526568 - 11/18/12 06:29 PM

Quote:

But I haven't seen USB cables long enough to do the job. Maybe there's an industrial source (as opposed to Staples, Best Buy, etc.).

Anza, great location near OCA site. For cables you might want to try Amazon.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Phil Wheeler]
      #5526584 - 11/18/12 06:35 PM

USB 2 is limited to 5 meters cable length. To go longer you need to use either a powered hub to boost the signal or individual cables with a built-in signal booster. I've used the booster cables to go a few meters further than the standard 5 m. (This gets me into my warm room which is mighty nice at this time of year.)

JimC

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Phil Wheeler]
      #5527058 - 11/18/12 11:17 PM

Quote:

Anza, great location near OCA site. For cables you might want to try Amazon.

You're right about Amazon. Lots of long cables. I'm east of OCA site, in Terwilliger Valley. There's a weather station at our house: www.weathercurrents.com/anza/

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5527364 - 11/19/12 05:56 AM

Quote:

We originally got interested in astronomy because of visual observation and we both enjoy that. Over time, I became interested in AP but there is a pretty significant learning curve there.

An intermediate step to AP is astrovideo which can start at a modest <$80 in NLTech CCTV cam giving a max 17s exp [see V&EAA forum] - needs a 12VDC to power and TV monitor for display and will outperform the eye on DSOs - 'cos the eye [great that it is] sees no more after ~1/25sec

ZeroID
sage

Reged: 04/21/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5528998 - 11/19/12 10:35 PM

Quote:

-Rich

Yes, but when the skies are cloudy you have hours of fun playing with your images getting the best out of them.

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: ZeroID]
      #5530405 - 11/20/12 03:21 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

-Rich

Yes, but when the skies are cloudy you have hours of fun playing with your images getting the best out of them.

There's plenty of fun to be had getting the best you can out of live images.

This isn't too shabby for three minutes of my time.

Mike I. Jones
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/02/06

Loc: Fort Worth TX
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Lorence]
      #5533029 - 11/21/12 10:10 PM

Steve,
Go, have someone build you a nice roomy observatory, starting TOMORROW! The heaviest thing you will lift is the key from your pocket to open the door! There's just nothing like walking out to a scope ready to use, polar aligned to single arc-seconds, and all your gear neatly organized.
Mike

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Mike I. Jones]
      #5533038 - 11/21/12 10:15 PM

I'm attempting an image of M45 at the moment. It took me about 20 minutes to get everything clicking. Again, the best $1200 I've spent for this hobby.

David

StarWrangler
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Three Rivers, MI U.S.A>
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? [Re: Lorence]
      #5533056 - 11/21/12 10:32 PM

"My God, It's Full Of Stars"

Alan O.

Mittag56
sage

Reged: 07/08/09

Loc: West Amboy, N.Y.
      #5533559 - 11/22/12 09:03 AM

My goodness yes....I've been disabled for 9 years and it crimped my observing allot.....new building for observatory use, has added so much more...things can stay set up....everything is there...no finding a helping hand to carry or assemble...must say from my side of the fence...best addition ever.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3625

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics