Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
evilmedic13

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Chicago,Il
Counterweight help new
      #5517761 - 11/13/12 11:45 AM

I purchased a Nexstar 11gps this summer with the celestron counterweight system #94192. Since then, I've upgraded the diagonal. and have been using 2" eps, which have been giving some balance issues. Now, after using a ff/fr and my Nikon D700 for imaging tests, I'm finding the 2.5lb weight a little on the light side. Unfortunately, Celestron has discontinued that cw system. Does anyone here know of any weights compatible with this system, or or should I just suck it up and order a whole new cw system?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
evilmedic13

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Chicago,Il
Re: Counterweight help new [Re: evilmedic13]
      #5517791 - 11/13/12 12:03 PM

Ummm, okay, this is embarrassing. Literally 30 seconds after I posted this, I tried another search. I found one on Amazon, it showed what looked like a 22lb cw, but stated it was 2.5 and had the right #'s. After I placed my order, I went to double check, and it said there were no more available. Looks like I grabbed the last one. Lucky me!

Edited by evilmedic13 (11/13/12 12:04 PM)

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Counterweight help new [Re: evilmedic13]
      #5517952 - 11/13/12 01:26 PM

Should that not work out, and assuming that the Celestron counterweight system is similar to the Losmandy one with a screw-on 2.5 pound weight, you might try what I found to be a simple low-cost solution. First, screw a large nut with a wide washer onto the spindle. Next go to a sporting goods store and get the small 2.5 pound weights for barbells (as many as you require -- they cost about three bucks!) Then slide it on and screw the original threaded counterweight on the spindle, tightening it below and the nut/washer above to secure the new weight.

7of 9

Reged: 07/20/08

Loc: Valley Forge, PA USA
Re: Counterweight help new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5520468 - 11/15/12 01:44 AM

You can check here:
http://starizona.com/acb/Counterweight-Set---Celestron-11-SCT---Complete-Kit-...

Rachel

Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/13/08

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: Counterweight help new [Re: 7of 9]
      #5520611 - 11/15/12 06:13 AM

Wow, at that price I'd dump the whole thing and go with the ADM solution. That's what I use on both my C11s and it works great. It's about 40% less and has a much more robust Vixen rail system. You could add two additional counterweights (although I never use my second one) and still end up costing less. Just a thought...

Beo

doctomster

Reged: 02/04/08

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Counterweight help new [Re: Lord Beowulf]
      #5532865 - 11/21/12 07:45 PM

I actually installed the Starizona counterweight system on my CPC 1100 two years ago. It is pricey but it works as promised. I can load up the viewing end with heavy denkmeier binoviewer and eyepieces. Then adjust the counterweights on the rail to take all the load off the altitude clutch. I think this will extend its life considerably and that would be worth it to me.

Ian Robinson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/09

Loc: 33S , 151E
Re: Counterweight help [Re: doctomster]
      #5533090 - 11/21/12 10:53 PM

If you know someone who has a metal lathe, why not get a bit of lead round bar about the right diam and have them make you suitable (very compact !!! cf the steel ones sold by the OEMs) mass counterweight.

Add a bit enamel paint to the outside and it'll look great and be a very cost effective solution.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 731

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics