Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hazel

Reged: 10/29/12

Re: Meade Quality Control on LX90 new [Re: AntMan1]
      #5512441 - 11/09/12 11:14 PM

Can it be assumed that ordering from Meade directly should prevent any risk of getting a returned/resold LX90? It's a few hundred dollars more for direct from Meade (vs. say Telescopes.com) but perhaps it's worth it. Thoughts? I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 12 inch LX90 and I want to avoid these problems.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AntMan1

Reged: 09/17/07

Loc: Third rock from the Sun
Re: Meade Quality Control on LX90 new [Re: Hazel]
      #5512492 - 11/09/12 11:45 PM

There is no option to purchase directly from Meade. You are seeing whats called Shopatron. It is a web service that places the order on the Meade website and matches you up with the next dealer on there list. I believe this is the worst way to go. Go to a local store so you can inspect the unit. If they don't have one let them order one for you then inspect it once it arrives also Opt offers the services mention in earlier post for a fee they set up and inspect the scopes quality before they ship. see this thread

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5507825/page...

http://ecommerce.shopatron.com/

Quote:

Can it be assumed that ordering from Meade directly should prevent any risk of getting a returned/resold LX90? It's a few hundred dollars more for direct from Meade (vs. say Telescopes.com) but perhaps it's worth it. Thoughts? I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 12 inch LX90 and I want to avoid these problems.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5512855 - 11/10/12 09:09 AM

IF Meade sold their products directly to the end consumer 95 percent of the dealers would stop selling their product line.

Its tough to make any money competing against other retailers ... impossible to do if the manufacturer is also competing with the dealers ..

I spend 30 years in the retail business and I would definitely be part of that 95 percent...

Bob G.

rcdk

Reged: 11/13/10

Re: Meade Quality Control on LX90 new [Re: Hazel]
      #5513190 - 11/10/12 01:17 PM

I bought my refurb that way, but it is probably the worst way to go, lots of horror stories.

Safest is likely a local dealer if you have a good relationship with them. Astronomics has a sterling reputation as does OPT.

maddog
journeyman

Reged: 07/26/08

Re: Meade Quality Control on LX90 new [Re: rcdk]
      #5525548 - 11/18/12 05:38 AM

Wow from reading all these posts it seems they save the best scopes for export outside of the US. I have bought several Meade scopes of different varieties here in Oz and never had a bad one yet but we also pay a lot more then you guys for the same product. Bottom line with this one is if they can deliver a pristine LX200 14000km across the other side of the world, then surely they can do the same in their own backyard.

Mark

Edited by maddog (11/18/12 05:39 AM)

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
Re: Meade Quality Control on LX90 new [Re: maddog]
      #5525827 - 11/18/12 10:37 AM

I love my vintage LX90 EMC - have you considered buying used from a trusted astronomy person? These pop up from time to time and are offered at good discounts. Other than that, I would return it and buy a Celestron CPC which has a rebate right now.

MarkCPC11

Reged: 02/24/11

Re: Meade Quality Control on LX90 [Re: AntMan1]
      #5533111 - 11/21/12 11:05 PM

I went through 3 of them until I decided to fix the forth lx200 ACF 10 they sent me myself... 1-2 scopes had the very same problems you speak of, it looked used and in dirty condition.. After the third scope, I was in a state of shock... I could not believe how bad Meade was out of control, there customer service rep assured me that each and every scope would be checked before it left the factory, they never were.. The forth one came with no grease on the Dec gears and housing, but the optics looked great. Installing the Peterson clutch kit fixed the problem, but if I had to do it again, I would have returned it. When I finial used the scope I kept, the collimation was off and goto’s were off as well, after days of playing with it, I managed to get it working ok, but have not compared the views to any other Meade, no one in my club has a LX200. Now I know why..

swansong

Reged: 09/17/13

Loc: Los Angeles,CA
      #6333505 - 01/24/14 07:24 PM

I want to add that also found a significant defect in my Made in Mexico LXD75 SC8-ACF (basically same optics and design as 8" LX90, no mirror lock). The front and rear cell dovetail holes are grossly misaligned, both top and bottom mounting holes. Someone else pointed this out here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1583888/page...

I found out I have the exact same problem when I tried to mount a ADM vixen dovetail on top for a guidescope, it's like 10degrees askew and won't sit flat. ARGHH. All three pairs of the top mounting holes are off by 1/2" or so from each other, you'd think they could have at least used a straightedge, or an eyeball. Even though it's out of warranty I tried calling Meade support for advice or at least sympathy, but was rebuffed and told "You can just take it anywhere else to have someone fix it, we can't help you since it's out of production." It's just drilling holes, you don't need a precision jig or special equipment, sheesh. So frustrating they can't even own up to such a major flaw in their assembly. The ACF optics seem ok to me (I upgraded to a Peterson smooth focuser), so faced with having to go through the hassle of selling it at a major loss, I think I'm gonna try to drill and tap some new 8-32 holes myself. I have a few ideas to get the holes orthogonal to the OTA optical axis, if my geometry courses served me well. I will try to tape off the front half of the inside tube and be VERY judicious about removing and dust and shavings, I know this is a serious risk though. Has anyone else tried this?

Last point, I had spotty gotos occasionally but chalked this up to the mount, but I realized that the bottom dovetail mount is also barely aligned to the OTA axis, so that's why my polar alignment always sucks. ARGHHH. On the bottom mount, 3 of the four screws are not even parallel to each other on each cell, and the 4th is rubbing against the radius block mounting hole yet was forced in tightly anyway. When I removed this lower dovetail I saw a hidden extra misdrilled hole completely out of place from the others, so they tried to cover it up. You would think someone would know better, these are not complicated pieces of machinery, and QC totally misses this kind of thing.

Sigh.

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: Meade Quality Control on LX90 new [Re: swansong]
      #6333604 - 01/24/14 08:43 PM

When transferring production from one site to another, it is amazing what issues will surface that had never been a problem before. An example of this which was really gross was when the production site of some bolts was changed. What was once obvious at one site was not considered at the other. The bolts returned with all the markings of a hardened bolt, but not knowing what the markings meant they were made with a very soft metal, but they did look right. I am not using this example to excuse Meade and any quality issues, just wanted to point out how difficult this transfer can be.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4217

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics