Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5566792 - 12/11/12 11:43 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

Sky Vistas and Burnham's are heavenly.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

#5566809 - 12/11/12 11:50 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Cover

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06

#5568337 - 12/12/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

Sky Vistas and Burnham's are heavenly.

Yes, I have noticed some deep similarities between Burnham's book and Sky Vistas, such as breadth of viewpoint, and love of the sky.
Bill

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
      #5570574 - 12/14/12 10:09 AM

wow, I like the look of Sky Vistas and now after seeing your copies of Burnhams I have no doubt whatsoever of your review (meaning I think you are well qualified to speak on this subject)

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5571055 - 12/14/12 03:46 PM

Remind me not to loan you my Burnham's!

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5574629 - 12/16/12 06:42 PM

After reading more into Sky Vistas, this is unquestionably one of the finest and most up to date works I've ever seen for astrophysical information and more. The work is simply off the charts!

The way in which the astronomical information is laid out is wonderful to say the least. For example, you can find countless books on astronomy, but they don't touch on the topics in the same way because they don't answer or mention the questions we should be asking ourselves. This is really a whole package.

It compliments Sky Atlas 2000 beautifully. I spent several hours digesting Sky Vistas yesterday. Somewhat similar to NSOG which Craig's intro is also great. The difference here though is the way it touches on various deep sky objects in more depth and where they reside, relative to the spiral arms of our galaxy.

For example, most observers take the constellation of Orion for granted. I recall one evening, observing with a friend. I said have you ever asked yourself why you see so many bright stars in the winter sky? He said he noticed it but never asked why. The explanation to those kind of questions would come from a source like this because the book sees in three dimensions.

It talks about Bulge globulars vs. Halo globulars and their metalicity. This is the kind of stuff that makes observational astronomy WAY more interesting and fun to discuss at the eyepieces. It takes you into the realm of the object itself, not just another sleepy visual description without any depth.

LB16europe

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Spain
      #5575169 - 12/17/12 04:46 AM

Great review there, Daniel. The book seems so tempting! Unfortunately with its current price I'm one of the many who would rather spend the money on other necessities.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: LB16europe]
      #5578692 - 12/19/12 10:29 AM

I purchased Sky Vistas a couple years ago. It's one of my favorite astronomy books. I concur with the previous comments about how the book gives the reader a thorough, three-dimensional understanding of the placement of DSO within our galaxy. I also like how the book does this while still keeping the amateur astronomer oriented in terms of constellations. Personally, I detest books - or websites or magazine articles - which discuss DSO without reminding you of the constellation it is in or of nearby bright stars. IMO, a concomittant 3-D and 2-D view is best.

Mike

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5590601 - 12/27/12 12:40 AM

As I proceed further with the reading, I'm really taken by the details on stellar streams, stellar associations, stellar evolution and much more. This is quite an advanced book for die hard observers who really want to know their stuff about the structure and nature of objects within our own galaxy and farther out.

There's even a nice set of tables with abbreviations like "Av" which stands for, "Absorption in visual magnitudes due to interstellar dust". This is really remarkable stuff. This is hardly if ever mentioned in any kind of observing companion. One has to really dedicate themselves to the read, but it's worth every bit. This work will evolve in to my latest modern sky bible as I proceed. No modern book I've seen on the market captures such imagination or 3 dimensional perspective with detailed notes

DrAl

Reged: 01/05/07

#5674949 - 02/11/13 10:48 PM

I just had a problem with my order of Sky Vistas from Amazon; it was an instant book which is essentially a Xerox or similar, not glossy. The cover was glossy color, but the rest of the printing and binding was terrible. It had come from one of the vendors, Alinewbooks (_Mary ?) in New Jersey. Anyone have an idea of what is going on? I sent it back with a nasty note to Amazon, then reordered directly from Amazon. I wonder if this copy will be glossy? I have a copy from the University Library for comparison, and will report. Craig might want to check with Springer on this... I hope the new copy is correct and I can modify my review on Amazon (I need to do this anyway and praise the book, instead of just roasting the printing quality).

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: DrAl]
      #5675168 - 02/12/13 02:03 AM

Obviously, you got delivered a poor POD-copy on Xerox paper (maybe Springer is out of stock on their quality printed first edition of Sky Vistas?).

Stephan

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5675211 - 02/12/13 03:34 AM

Daniel, et al;

I do like this book, very much. As you said, it contains lots of information that is rarely discussed in observing articles. I am about half way through it at this point and it is a book you can't read casually, ya need to think while doing so.

I would like some more drawings of the Milky Way and which direction are which arms and objects that he is discussing. This would provide me with more usable information.

Is there a web site that goes into this and has drawings?

I do like it;
Steve Coe

Crossen

Reged: 07/14/08

Loc: Vienna
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5675284 - 02/12/13 05:42 AM

I have read these posts with great concern and have just been in touch with my editor at Springer here in Vienna. She is investigating the problem. Springer's original print run of "Sky Vistas" was unusually large; and so, to judge from my annual royalties statements, I can say that there must be several hundred copies of the high-quality first printing of the book available. Whether they are here in Vienna or in New York I do not know. When I find out something more specific concerning this situation, I will post it on this forum.

One of the things I as an author have been most proud of about "Sky Vistas" is the book's unusually high print and paper quality. Because I wrote it while simultaneously studying the most recent astrophysical journals, the information in it is not likely to become out-dated anytime soon. Thus in both content, and as a physical object, "Sky Vistas" is a book meant to last.

Craig Crossen

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Crossen]
      #5675290 - 02/12/13 05:53 AM

Quote:

One of the things I as an author have been most proud of about "Sky Vistas" is the book's unusually high print and paper quality.

Craig Crossen

I totally agree with this. Printing quality is absolutely state of the art. Sky Vistas is one of the few really oustanding books in my astro library. See also my post earlier in this thread.

Stephan

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5675374 - 02/12/13 07:57 AM

Quote:

Daniel, et al;

I do like this book, very much. As you said, it contains lots of information that is rarely discussed in observing articles. I am about half way through it at this point and it is a book you can't read casually, ya need to think while doing so.

I would like some more drawings of the Milky Way and which direction are which arms and objects that he is discussing. This would provide me with more usable information.

Is there a web site that goes into this and has drawings?

I do like it;
Steve Coe

The most recent Backyard Astronomer's Guide has beautiful charts of the Milky Way produced by Glenn LeDrew. They may not be in the level of detail you are seeking, but they are a big improvement from earlier versions.

DrAl

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: rookie]
      #5676313 - 02/12/13 05:12 PM

As a follow on, I received the copy today directly from Amazon. It is without doubt an "instant print", but this time on glossy paper. The only problem is that the actual book within the "sky vistas" cover was "magnetic resonance of congential heart disease". Obviously there was a printing error... ;-) This is also being returned, this time to Amazon. I am now looking for a used copy actually printed in Vienna, but they are not easy to find and verify as actually a first printing. I hope, Craig, you can resolve this with the publisher.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5676319 - 02/12/13 05:18 PM

This is too bad, my texts I've bought from Springer or Springer-Verlag have been top notch books, made to last. Good luck -hope this gets cleared up for you and others that don't frequent here.

Crossen

Reged: 07/14/08

Loc: Vienna
      #5676340 - 02/12/13 05:34 PM

Quote:

I just had a problem with my order of Sky Vistas from Amazon; it was an instant book which is essentially a Xerox or similar, not glossy. The cover was glossy color, but the rest of the printing and binding was terrible. It had come from one of the vendors, Alinewbooks (_Mary ?) in New Jersey. Anyone have an idea of what is going on? I sent it back with a nasty note to Amazon, then reordered directly from Amazon. I wonder if this copy will be glossy? I have a copy from the University Library for comparison, and will report. Craig might want to check with Springer on this... I hope the new copy is correct and I can modify my review on Amazon (I need to do this anyway and praise the book, instead of just roasting the printing quality).

How much did you pay for this edition of "Sky Vistas"? Was it one of what Amazon calls the "Kindle" books? I myself am not very happy with Amazon because they have been peddling the pseudo-2nd edition of "Binocular Astronomy" as if it is really by me. It's a constant struggle for an author to assure the intellectual and aesthetic integrity of the material published under his name. Last year a European academic journal solicited an article on archaeology from me, and when I received a copy of their edited version of my article I discovered that their editor had slipped into my text a charge that Bosporus University in Istanbul is engaged in the antiquities black market. In point of fact I had not even mentioned Borporus University at all in my original text, let alone made such a libellous and unsubstantiated charge. I am not alone as a writer in such problems: I have heard plenty of similar horror stories from my editing clients.

But I wish to emphasize something I have said before in these forums: My experiences as an author with Springer-Verlag Vienna/New York have been entirely positive. They have consistently treated me not only honorably, but generously. The physical quality of "Sky Vistas" is testimony to the fact that they take the intellectual quality of what they publish seriously. However, the various Springer branches are editorially independent of each other, and it is clear to me that some of these branches--particularly Springer London--do not publish with such high standards as Springer Vienna/New York.

Craig Crossen

DrAl

#5676376 - 02/12/13 06:05 PM

The first version ordered from Amazon used a vendor and was a bit over $80. This copy used regular paper (not glossy) and was bound in your glossy front piece. The binding was poor. The second version was directly from Amazon for about $100, was still "instant print" but with glossy paper. It was the one with the wrong book within the covers. The binding was poor compared to the original version from the library. The covers on both indicated Springer Wein/New York.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#5676384 - 02/12/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

The physical quality of "Sky Vistas" is testimony to the fact that they take the intellectual quality of what they publish seriously. However, the various Springer branches are editorially independent of each other, and it is clear to me that some of these branches--particularly Springer London--do not publish with such high standards as Springer Vienna/New York.

Craig Crossen

Yes, it appears that there is a disturbing lack of quality control at a part of the Springer branches, and in particular at their sub-contractors like Amazon.
I hope you may help DrAl to find another Springer source, from where he will get a flawless copy of Sky Vistas. Perhaps it would be better to order a copy directly from Europe?

Stephan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7768

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics