Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
davidmcgo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Nikon 10X70 IF SP "Astroluxe" new [Re: SMark]
      #5533224 - 11/22/12 12:57 AM

You summed it up pretty well. The older Wide Field model is very immersive but shows a few ghosts on the Moon (kind of a chain of them getting progressively smaller) that move around with small movement of the image. Really only noticeable after 1st quarter phase. The 10x70 Astroluxe are no where near as immersive a view but have much smaller and more comfortable eyepieces (with the straight eyecups), a little sharper, and don't ghost even on a full moon. They are also lighter but somehow more difficult to hold due to increased length.

It's hard to really justify having both but I got them both used for very reasonable prices, the Astroluxe several years ago and the Wide Field more recently. If I had to keep one it would be a tough call but it would likely be the wide field model. Mostly because they feel solid like an anvil. No glue on the prisms, hinge axis 50% larger than the newer style.

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Nikon 10X70 IF SP "Astroluxe" [Re: davidmcgo]
      #5533252 - 11/22/12 01:21 AM

Thanx. The Wide Field is also much harder to come by and the price is going up. A near mint example showed-up on eBay a few months ago and sold for $1,329.

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Nikon 10X70 IF SP "Astroluxe" new [Re: SMark]
      #5533639 - 11/22/12 10:01 AM

I make the same choices with my 16 x 70's: it's the Swift with its 80 degree AFOV for the Milky Way, and it's the 64 degree Fujinon for the serious stuff (because it's a better performer).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5185

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics