Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Moey

Reged: 01/23/08

Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT?
      #5533269 - 11/22/12 01:41 AM

There have been so many clear nights during the week where I'd love to take something small out and take a quick look after a long day at work. So I've been contemplating purchasing a small sct as a grab'n'go to compliment my 14.5" dob. I must admit the Celestron Nexstar 6se and 8se are tempting. Any other ideas? I'll be mainly using it for looking at the moon+planets in my light polluted backyard. Not really interested in anything less than 5". Quick cooldown is obviously ideal (30min or less).

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Moey]
      #5533292 - 11/22/12 01:57 AM

The C6 would be my choice as the best combination of light grasp and size. It will be my next scope purchase for that reason,

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5533300 - 11/22/12 02:19 AM

A 127 Mak kept in the freezer would be nice, well, for moon and planets - their niche. Not sure how fast a C6 will cool in whatever ambient conditions you trow at it. Despite their rep, I suspect Maks will not follow far behind, especially with some preparatory or active cooling...on either model. Even small refractors take about that long to offer pleasing views according to some testimony.

Celestron makes a 5" Mak with goto, if its grab and go then that implies no observing plan. But, the moon and planets are not hard to find. So, a simpler set up is fine. You won't have to add batteries or plug it in. Just plop and drop.

The C6 would also be a very good choice. Not sure an 8" is really grab and go. That's like grab and go anxiety complicated by aperture fever. With grab and go, some stuff has to be left behind. Otherwise, you could grab and go with a 16" Dob.

People rave over the C6, it's probably a better choice over a more serious 8" for grab and go and still giving pleasing views of the planets and luna. A 5" Mak excels in this arena, too, and if I'm right about cool down differences between the two, it would be a good grab and go option, as well. The simpler the set up, the better.

It seems to me, for grab and go, the C6 or 127 Mak would be fine considerations. If you can live with aperture fever. If your set on an SCT, then the C6 seems the best option. As always, it's your choice, but you asked for our two cents...

Moey

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5533329 - 11/22/12 03:01 AM

Thanks guy for the feedback.

I'm not fussed bout wether its an Sct or Mak (should have rephrased the title).

Would the 6" sct be a better option than the 5" Mak? Or is the secondary obstruction on the 6" sct far greater than on the 5" Mak?

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5533336 - 11/22/12 03:27 AM

Good question. The C6 is listed with a 37% obstruction and lists for ~$900.

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-nexstar-6se.html
http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronnexstar...

The 127 Mak does not seem to show one. My guess is, it will be very comparable percentage wise, smaller in real terms and a bit larger due to the effective aperture. It lists for ~$500.

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-nexstar-127slt.html
http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronnexstar...

But, you know, glancing at their respective mounts, the 6" appears more sturdy. It may not be, looks can be deceiving. But, possibly sturdier with an inch of aperture advantage, that's pretty convincing for the C6 over the 5" Mak.

The Mak coatings simply state "fully coated," not fully multi coated. I'm getting a bad feeling about this one. Shame, really. It hurts to see a Mak sold in a presumably weak package as if it's a low cost bird watching spotter...with goto. That may not the case, but it's the impression. Maybe read some reviews and see what others think.

The C6 coatings are StarBright XLT. That has a nice ring to it, like they really want to see it to you. They're probably better coatings, as well. Price wise, they are probably both worth what you pay, but I'd be more inclined to offer up the additional money for the C6.

I love the Mak design, my own is very good. And a simple grab and go with no batteries or extension cords. But I'm leaning toward the 6" SCT on this one.

Edited by Asbytec (11/22/12 03:47 AM)

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5533340 - 11/22/12 03:37 AM

I'd choose the C6 over the 5" Mak. There isn't a whole lot of difference weight wise and the C6 is the more versatile of the two. It has more aperture, and can be used for high mag work as well as 'wider' field work. The 6" scope can push towards 300x on nights of good seeing while the 5" scope will be limited to about 250x. On the other end, the C6 can yield around 1.3 to 1.5 deg true field of view with a smaller 2" eyepiece like the Panoptic 27mm while the 5" Mak will be limited to less than 1 deg TFOV and will not support the use of 2" eyepieces. A 6SE can be purchased for a little over $700 right now, while the Celestron 127 SLT goes for approx. $500, but is on a cheaper mount.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick (11/22/12 03:49 AM)

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5533388 - 11/22/12 05:37 AM

If you're considering a C6, you might want to look at a NexStar 6SE, especially if you want to have go-to ability as well. They are on sale by Celeston thru 12/31 list @ $719. I have a NexStar 8SE, that I use for grab and go, because I wanted 8" and go-to, etc. I have a CPC 9.25 I wasn't ever using, mainly because of it's size, but do like the Celestron Hand Control, programming, and features, which, less the GPS, are the same on the NexStar series. The NexStar is a quick set up and is easy to transport. There is a separate NexStar forum on CN where you can get great advice about any questions you might have. One problem, NexStar's eat AA batteries, so plan on using a separate power source, which is 1 more item to grab. I use a rechargable auto battery jump box that has a 12V outlet. Plenty of power for scope, dew heaters, or whatever; about $60. The NexStar comes with a red dot view finder. I added a Telrad. If interested, Celestron has just offered an accessory, Sky Q Link($99). It is a small module that plugs into your NexStar base, allowing you to control the scope with either your IPhone or IPad. I haven't seen any "feedback" on it yet. You mentioned "cool down time". I keep my NexStar inside, so if I think I might want to observe, I'll sometimes go ahead and put the OTA outside. I would think the C6 would cool quicker. There are a lot of C6 users on the NexStar forum who could give you info about that. Good luck in your search!

Bruce

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #5533505 - 11/22/12 08:16 AM

Depends on your concept of "grab 'n go". When I use a CAT for that purpose, it is a C90 Mak, not an SCT.

Kon Dealer
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Cambridge UK
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5533651 - 11/22/12 10:07 AM

I use a C6 with an Antares f/6.3 reducer permanently in place.
Gives quite good widefield views (as well) and is very portable.
Cool down is the only issue- about an hour so you have to plan ahead.

Kon Dealer
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Cambridge UK
      #5533652 - 11/22/12 10:07 AM

I use a C6 with an Antares f/6.3 reducer permanently in place.
Gives quite good widefield views (as well) and is very portable.
Cool down is the only issue- about an hour so you have to plan ahead.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5533786 - 11/22/12 11:28 AM

I got a used 8in lx200 unmounted [~350], I added the dovetail and put it on a medium duty photo tripod with a alt/az mount [dsv-1]. added the finder shoe for the 8x50 finder and also change the visual back to 2in so I can you my es 35 70°. makes a world of difference.

I can pickup the kit and carry it upstairs from the basement with one hand.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Kon Dealer]
      #5533793 - 11/22/12 11:31 AM

Forgive me, for I fear I'm about to sin in the eyes of all here...

Anyway, IMO the best grab 'n go scope is a small refractor, as it allows you to start viewing almost immediately. Unlike a newt/sct/mak you don't have to wait for it to cool down, it's lighter than a newt/sct/mak, you won't forget the dew shield as they're usually attached (same with the newt), and you never have to collimate it (most of them, anyway, but even then they usually never need tweaking once they're dialed in).

Using a small refractor as a grab 'n go will allow you to make the most of whatever limited time you might have for viewing. That being said, if you must have a CAT, then a 90mm MAK would give you the sharpest views, but the C5 is no slouch either. Neither is the C6, except that it's pretty big and heavy in comparison, and so pushes the limits all the way around for use as a grab 'n go scope. But the major drawback they all share is that they all need to cool down before they can give their best views! If you have less than a half-hour or so to view, why even bother?

I currently have a 90mm MAK, and a C6 that I had thought would make good grab 'n go scopes. I've since replaced them both with an 80mm Stellarvue doublet, as neither of them are very practical for that purpose.

As in all things, YMMV. Good luck!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5533803 - 11/22/12 11:37 AM

Quote:

Forgive me, for I fear I'm about to sin in the eyes of all here...

I have a bigger sin...

What is this cool down I keep reading about.

What you actually setup and don't observe.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5533810 - 11/22/12 11:43 AM

Quote:

Depends on your concept of "grab 'n go". When I use a CAT for that purpose, it is a C90 Mak, not an SCT.

I agree with your idea of grab-n-go. I can take out my 90mm Mak on sturdy head and tripod in one hand, accessory bag and stool in the other. One trip out, one trip in. Everything's ready to go. No set up. That's grab-n-go! Anything else is something else.

Mike

Jared
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5533850 - 11/22/12 12:16 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Bob on this one. While a 6" SCT or 5" Mak is great as a portable scope, for quick observing after work I much prefer my 80mm refractor to my 5" SCT. Cooling and contrast are the reasons.

Last night was a perfect example. I took out both my 80mm refractor and my C5 into e front yard after dinner--first clear night in a week, and it turned out that the seeing was very good. The inside temperature was 68F and the outside was 54F so a moderate delta. After 40 minutes the C5 was still showing obvious tube currents, so I took off the diagonal and positioned it aperture down to aid in cooling. Twenty minutes later, the tube currents had finally disappeared so I compared the views through the two scopes.

The C5 had a slight advantage in brightness, but it was surprisingly small. At the same magnification in both scopes--160x--the 80mm was providing higher contrast on Jupiter and the resolution was equivalent, there were no details I could find in the C5 view that I couldn't also find in the 80mm views. The C5 had a clear advantage in exit pupil size--fewer floaters--so would likely support a bit more magnification, but Jupiter was still fairly low in the sky at 8:00pm so I didn't push it.

Obviously, each scope has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm not trying to suggest the views were better through the 80mm on Jupiter than through the C5. Frankly, for critical planetary viewing I wouldn't want either one. I'd rather have my 5" refractor or an even larger reflector. However, the one hour cooling time required for even a moderate temperature delta on the 5" SCT is a serious problem when you are talking about quick, after work observing sessions. For that purpose in particular I'd take a small refractor over a slightly larger closed tube Cassegrain.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5533858 - 11/22/12 12:20 PM

I have a 127Mak on an AZ4. I keep it in an unheated garage and it is ready to go within 15 to 20 minutes or so when I take it out. During that time I usually mount my 102 short tube refractor and enjoy the wide field views. The 5 inch Mak is simply amazing on the moon and bright DSO objects. Can’t comment about planetary yet because I have yet to test it on a night of excellent seeing. With average seeing I can make out the belts and polar regions but not much detail yet in the belts.

Eric

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Eric63]
      #5533931 - 11/22/12 01:05 PM

Due to obsessive bargain hunting I have a choice of refractors ,reflectors, and cats.

But if I am really wanting instant gratifaction and simplicity the 4.5" az-el reflector is great.Weighs very little and has brighter view than small refractor.Also have 4.5" Dob which is very nice but is heavier due to base and needs something to set it own if you don't want to sit on the ground.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Eric63]
      #5533975 - 11/22/12 01:34 PM

Small refractors are too small to provide satisfying views for me and approach the C6 in weight. I will be replacing a 4.5" Starblast with a C6 as my G&G as 4.5" just isn't enough to cover all I may want to look at. Don't get me wrong with the Starblast - it has great low power, wide field views but so-so on solar system objects. If kept in an unheated garage or shed, cool down is none to minimal. I keep a C 11 in a shed and cool down is never an issue. I guess it depends on what you are looking at. Binos work well for low power, wide field viewing and are tough to beat for G&G but not for the planets. No one scope does it all but a C 6 comes close IMHO.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Dwight J]
      #5533985 - 11/22/12 01:43 PM

I would say that it depends a lot on the mount that you want to use it on. Obviously, a C6 weighs a lot less than a C8, but if you plan on a mount that can handle it, I think that the C8 is the best choice since it is large enough to take in a lot of light while not too large to haul around or require a large mount. If cool-down is an issue, then go with the Edge HD.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: EFT]
      #5534223 - 11/22/12 05:09 PM Attachment (82 downloads)

C6 comes closest to the ideal grab-n-go. I've had 80SS, 80ED, 90Mak, 90Tak, 90 Megrez, 92L TMB, C5 and C8 all looking to fill this role. The refractor argument is bunk. I live in upstate NY...none colder or with larger temp deltas or greater Jet Stream issues. The scope that delivers the right amount of detail for the amount of grab-n-go effort is indeed the C6. It trumped every one of the smaller refractors listed. Here's mine on a driven EQ3 mount that I carry out in one trip.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5534334 - 11/22/12 07:04 PM

Grab & go to me means instant and decent observing capability once the tripod legs hit the ground, and a SCT does not allow that on 99% of the nights. Grab & go & come back out in an hour to use the scope doesn't cut it with me. My available time out under the stars is too precious to spend a large chunk of it waiting on the scope. I have a C6 and it even needs about 30 minutes to stabilize (and it's starting out in my non-climate-controlled garage). My refractors, though smaller in aperture, are ready to go when the tripod legs touch down.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
      #5534392 - 11/22/12 08:09 PM

If you're going after everything else but planets, then for the most part the C6 will still do the job while its equilibrating. However, it's still heavier than the 80mm doublet, still needs collimating from time to time, and still needs the addition of a dew cap if you decide to stay out longer.

My idea of "grab 'n go" is a light, "complete," and uncomplicated scope, not really needing equilibration, already mounted (Alt/Az, manual tracking, no GOTO), sitting in the corner, with the EP case and chair sitting right next to it, all ready to pick up and go at a moment's notice, all in one trip. With that, I can go out, put it all down, view almost anything that happens to be up. Then, when I'm done, I can pick it all back up, and be back in the house before dinner's on the table. (Well, that last part is really more because I'm the only one who'd be putting dinner on the table. But you catch my drift.)

That to me is "grab 'n go."

However, as always, YMMV...

Edited by mayidunk (11/22/12 10:32 PM)

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: coopman]
      #5534404 - 11/22/12 08:19 PM

I have most all of the scopes listed above, I find I use my 127 mostly because of when I go out for quick views it is usually Planetary or doubles, my Deep sky stuff is planned with my 12" SCT.
I did put a lot heavier tripod on my SLT mound becaues it was nearly unuseable as it came. Unless you want to sit on the ground.
N Iowa is not fun to sit down from late November untill March.
My bounce time went from 7 sec to 2.5 to 3. HUGE improvment.
I can use the 5" on a heavy photo tripod too.
I keep it my Garage for quick cool down. It also does better than most people think on the brighter Deep Sky stuff.
I actually think the contrast is better in the Mak than my NexStar 6se, It is a beautiful scope but I'm about ready to sell it, WELL some day..

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: orion61]
      #5534530 - 11/22/12 10:04 PM

My NexStar 5SE is my grab & go scope. It sits in the garage, so it is always within a degree of ambient temperature.

Moey

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Sorny]
      #5534575 - 11/22/12 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, lots of good feedback.

I've looked through a 80mm refractor and feel that it doesn't quite suit what I'm looking for. For quick 10-20minutes views I'm happy to just use one of my binoculars.

What I'm mainly looking for is something that is easy to transport around and can give decent views of solar system objects (dso is a bonus not requirement) without requiring a lengthy cool down time. 30minutes is fine.

It seems to be a toss up between the 127Mak and Nexstar 5se/6se from what i've gathered?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5534597 - 11/22/12 10:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the info guys, lots of good feedback.

I've looked through a 80mm refractor and feel that it doesn't quite suit what I'm looking for. For quick 10-20minutes views I'm happy to just use one of my binoculars.

What I'm mainly looking for is something that is easy to transport around and can give decent views of solar system objects (dso is a bonus not requirement) without requiring a lengthy cool down time. 30minutes is fine.

It seems to be a toss up between the 127Mak and Nexstar 5se/6se from what i've gathered?

I would still include the C8 in there with either a cat cooler on the standard C8 or active cooling on the C8 Edge.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5534714 - 11/23/12 01:27 AM

orion61,

Quote:

My bounce time went from 7 sec to 2.5 to 3. HUGE improvment.

The bounce time for my 90mm Mak on my 501HDV head and 055XB tripod is ... well, there is no bounce time! It's absolutely rock solid. But then again, it is just a little 90mm Mak. Like I said, I use it mostly for Moon gazing.

Quote:

I can use the 5" on a heavy photo tripod too.I keep it my Garage for quick cool down. It also does better than most people think on the brighter Deep Sky stuff.

I'd like to put my 6" Mak on a photo tripod, but I don't think that's feasible. I really can't even mount my ST80 with Crayford upgrade on a photo tripod. I need to mount anything heavier than my 90mm Mak (and lighter than my 8" Dob) on either a GEM or a Voyager alt-az. I virtually always pick the alt-az.

Mike

berobertsmd

#5534805 - 11/23/12 03:05 AM

If it comes down to 5SE or 6SE, IMO, cool down times for these would be very similar, vs 6SE and 8SE. Also, of course, with the 6SE, you're getting another inch of aperture over the 5SE. The upper unit assembly on the 6SE is different than one used on 4/5SE. The 6SE uses the same one used on the 8SE, which you can see if you compare the images of the upper arm assemblies of 5SE vs 6SE on Celestron webpage. Also on Celestron, under tripods, is NexStar 6SE-8SE tripod, # 91203, for $519.95 The 4SE/5SE tripods do have built-in wedges, which are not on the 6SE/8SE tripods. As I mentioned, you'll need a power supply, 12V, or 110 adaptor. 8 AA's won't last more than a few hours, at best, but keep some AA's in the scope. Thanks for starting this topic. I've seen a lot of good ideas. Good luck finding the G&G that's best for you.

Bruce

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #5535166 - 11/23/12 10:05 AM

Grab and go is a very personal term meaning different things to different people at different times. For quick looks of the night sky, I'm very contented with my 15x70 Oberwerk triplet binocs. They aren't designed for planetary, but they work great for the moon and Milky Way objects. They also work great for checking out the locations of Jupiter's moons. I can mount them on my 501 head and 475b tripod or hand hold them for short periods of time, depending on my energy level.

If I want to go deeper, then it's beyond "grab and go" and the cpc1100 is the next easiest scope to setup and use.

Patrick

markgf

Reged: 10/31/12

Loc: Gold Coast, Qld, Australia
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5541138 - 11/26/12 09:55 PM

I don't mean to butt in, but if Grab and Go is about weight:

6SE: 30 lb
8SE: 33 lb
6" Dob: 35 lb
5" Refractor: Same as 6se if on alt-az mount?
Nexstar 127 SLT (Mak): ~27 lb?
Nexstar 130 SLT (Newt): ~27lb?

The Celestron site doesn't give mount weight for SLTs but the tubes (18 lb) are about 3 lb lighter than 6se tube.

Cool down time, if needed, is less with the reflectors. Lightness is probably with a 4" refractor. Economy is with the Dob. Optics is with 8SE...?

I've been having trouble with this one myself. Am leaning toward making two trips outside, one with an assembled dob, the second with a chair etc.

Good luck...Mark

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: markgf]
      #5541302 - 11/26/12 11:25 PM

Interesting choices indeed.

The published 30 lb weight for a 6SE is for a complete setup with the tripod. Someone could if they wanted to even split the SE scopes into 3 very manageable pieces of about 10 lbs apiece (ota, fork arm/base, tripod). The 8SE is the same only with a 3 lb heavier ota. The SLT scopes are similar but with a slightly lighter weight fork arm/base and tripod. Most folks will carry these scopes as one piece unless they are going up and down a bunch of stairs.

A 5" achromatic doublet refractor on an alt az mount could indeed be in the same range with a light weight mount/tripod (15lb ota and 13lb mount/tripod for something like an AT Voyager) but it won't be nearly as stable to use as one of the SE/SLT combinations and not something you'd want to carry as one piece (very unwieldy). That heavier ota really should be on a heavier mount/tripod.

The 4" refractor and lighter weight alt az mount is a very attractive and easy to manage combination but still not something you'd want to carry very far as one unit. The longer tube and weight out at the end of the refractor makes it a bit tougher to carry when on a mount than the scopes with shorter tubes (SCT/MCTs).

IMHO the really nice combination is the c6 ota and light weight alt az mount - it's just over 20lbs and very easy to move around (with great light gathering capabilities and optical quality).

It's really important to carefully consider your own specific environment and capabilities. To me "Grab n Go" is an interesting mix of weight, and complexity, and ease of use characteristics that really varies depending on someone's individual requirements.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5543622 - 11/28/12 10:54 AM

i have used my 8se on a ES Twiligth mount and tripod and it was reaaly stable and easy to use.

the trick is to keep the 8se OTA in a shed outside or an unheated garage so that cool down is minimal. if you have to bring outside the 8se then it is not grab and go but grab and wait. in winter my scope go from 70F down to -30F, so even doublet refractors need some cooldown time. But my 8se requires at least two hours to reach equilibrium.

but if you plan in advance a 6se or 8se are nice scopes to have.

desertlens
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36°N 105°W
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5544359 - 11/28/12 06:32 PM

Quote:

IMHO the really nice combination is the c6 ota and light weight alt az mount - it's just over 20lbs and very easy to move around (with great light gathering capabilities and optical quality).

I would agree. Here's what I'm working with:

C6 over an AT Voyager mount.

orion61

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: desertlens]
      #5545677 - 11/29/12 03:01 PM

NexStar 6 is by FAR the best Grab & Go scope that combines performance and weight. The views through these are amazing
they are built great and have Go-To, what else do you want,
Honorable Mention Meade LS6, superb optics and contrast!
!@& mak, 3rd place but are blown away on DSO's

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #5545826 - 11/29/12 04:44 PM

Once I got the hang of it I found it very easy to carry my C-9.25 on a Unistar-Sokkia tripod for a total weight of around 50 lbs. That said I do some pretty heavy duty weight training. My understanding is that The Hulk is partial to a C-14 as a grab and go. I take my SCT out before sunset and cool down hasn't been an issue. Keep in mind I do live in the land where water remains a liquid. David

Edited by dscarpa (11/29/12 04:47 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5546376 - 11/29/12 10:30 PM

I wish the C6 would go on sale again. I don't think I could dead lift a C-9.25, much less a C-14.

Mike

Tim J K

Reged: 05/19/09

Loc: Iowa
      #5546423 - 11/29/12 11:06 PM

HighPoint Scientific still has the C6 for $400. I bought one from them. It's a great scope. Very helpful and friendly customer service too.

Keith
sage

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: Costa Mesa, CA USA
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Tim J K]
      #5546478 - 11/29/12 11:59 PM

when the price delta is $100 or less between the 5SE and 6SE, I see no reason why anyone who is doing JUST a little bit of research, would choose the 5SE. This is because when celestron lowered the 6 and 8 by $200 initially, and the 4 and 5 by $100 initially, it brought the 6 and 5 within $100. Other than more aperture, the mount for the 6se is the same as the 8se, and the 5se now shares the 4se mount. Unlike the old days where the 8 and 5 were on same mount, the 6 took the 5's place and the 5 got bumped down.

6SE all the way.

FYI, the 127mak and C6SCT are about the same weight, due to the longer tube and heavier corrector on the mak. Cooldown is a HUGE issue, the mak cools slower than the SCT, also due to the corrector. The comments about it (mak) not working with 2" eyepieces are only partially true, with an adapter ring, a 2" SCT diagonal threads right on and gives good views.

Moey

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Keith]
      #5546500 - 11/30/12 12:15 AM

I think the majority of votes go to the Celestron Nexstar 6se and it's what i'll be purchasing hopefully within the next couple of weeks

Thank you all for the kind help and sound advice.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5546820 - 11/30/12 08:57 AM

Good choice and report back with your first light experience. Also, if you have any set-up issues this is the place to get immediate (sometimes within minutes) help.

berobertsmd

#5548227 - 12/01/12 02:47 AM

Sounds good Moey! Don't forget they are on sale now! You may want to check sevral sources,

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5549222 - 12/01/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

I wish the C6 would go on sale again. I don't think I could dead lift a C-9.25, much less a C-14.

Mike

I dead lift a C6 and AT72ED mounted on an ioptron minitower up two flights of stairs. It's pretty easy, and I love the views. I get it all tweaked up and ready to go before sun down then haul it up at twilight. By dark it's redy to go.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5549985 - 12/02/12 09:19 AM

Before this thread ends, I want to come clean. My favored grab-n-go is not a CAT of any kind, but a little Orion StarBlast. More practical in that role than even my Orange Tube C90, I think. Light, wide field, 4-inches. Just about perfect for me--for now.

Edited by rmollise (12/02/12 09:19 AM)

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5550663 - 12/02/12 04:50 PM

Quote:

I got a used 8in lx200 unmounted [~350], I added the dovetail and put it on a medium duty photo tripod with a alt/az mount [dsv-1]. added the finder shoe for the 8x50 finder and also change the visual back to 2in so I can you my es 35 70°. makes a world of difference.

I can pickup the kit and carry it upstairs from the basement with one hand.

Those are really beautiful pictures.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5550664 - 12/02/12 04:50 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Quote:

I want to come clean. My favored grab-n-go is not a CAT of any kind, but a little Orion StarBlast.

Rod, how disappointing.
I find that Grab and Go is all about the mount.
My C8 on an E.Z.Touch mount works for me.

Steve

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5555912 - 12/05/12 04:08 PM

Quote:

Once I got the hang of it I found it very easy to carry my C-9.25 on a Unistar-Sokkia tripod for a total weight of around 50 lbs. That said I do some pretty heavy duty weight training. My understanding is that The Hulk is partial to a C-14 as a grab and go. I take my SCT out before sunset and cool down hasn't been an issue. Keep in mind I do live in the land where water remains a liquid. David

I carry my C11 NexStar GPS and tripod together out 30 feet from my garage onto my driveway for viewing. Too much hassle to take it apart. I'm 5' 7" and 150lbs, so not exactly bulky and I don't find it an issue.

I wouldn't want anything smaller! But other people have different views on grab n go I guess Cooldown isn't a problem as I usually set it out before putting my 5 year old to bed and by the time we're done, the scope is ready to use!

berobertsmd

Re: Ideal Grab'N'Go SCT? new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5556858 - 12/06/12 03:52 AM

I leave my NexStar 8SE upper unit and tripod set-up. It's easy to move outside intact, but even if separate it's simple quick set-up. I have my tripod site marked, so I don't have to re-level each time. Whenever I first even think about a viewing session, I'll move the OTA outside to start cooling. Then by the time I move other gear outside, allow time for light accommodation, and finish set-up; cool down is usually not an issue. Heaviest item is about 20#. This gives a quick enough set-up for me and the advantage of go-to positioning I desire. Cool down would be even quicker with the NexStar 6SE being considered, IMO.

orion61

#5556898 - 12/06/12 05:11 AM

Quote:

Before this thread ends, I want to come clean. My favored grab-n-go is not a CAT of any kind, but a little Orion StarBlast. More practical in that role than even my Orange Tube C90, I think. Light, wide field, 4-inches. Just about perfect for me--for now.

Hey I had one of those but mine had pretty bad SA I have heard they usually have goood optics. I'd like to try the 6"

prestonrich
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/07

Loc: Washington DC Mayland suburbs
      #5561157 - 12/08/12 04:31 PM

C5 is best for me. C5 and C6 both have same rear baffle hole sizes so best wide angle is via the C5. Great w/the BIPH!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5561195 - 12/08/12 04:52 PM

Since you have a 14.5 incher, I recommend the 6.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5561697 - 12/08/12 11:37 PM

Quote:

My favored grab-n-go is not a CAT of any kind, but a little Orion StarBlast.

I have the 4.5" Starblast, and I just can't get comfortable with it. Perhaps I just need a better mount for it.

Patrick

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3709

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics