Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5491841 - 10/27/12 03:31 PM

This past Thurs. Paul and I had to go to Portland so on our return trip we stopped in Eugene at the Costco there. I found the boxed Nexstar 102 GT scope on a pallet underneath some shelves, easy to miss, and no model on display. I thought this might be fun for parts -- particularly the mt. as a tracking grab & go for my PST and other light otas like a new model C-90 (another incredible bargain @ $148 -- I have already a mt. L-bracket and AC adapter that fits). What a surprise -- it all works!!! Actually, the 4" scope is fun too, the CA isn't bad, and the ota is sturdy with a usable 2" focuser and metal parts. The Huygens eyepiece set is funny but later I'll check them out...not expecting much.
I plan to use the 4" scope on other mts. mainly.
Fun!
---Maya

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5492286 - 10/27/12 09:15 PM

Welp, looks like my local Costco doesn't carry it. Unfortunately, that doesn't kill my ambition to have a 4" achromat.

Might be biting the bullet and getting an Omni 102 XLT in a few weeks. Also a motor drive, a piggyback adapter for my PST and a herschel wedge...

I'll be in my bunk.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5492561 - 10/28/12 01:41 AM

I'll see what I see at ASAE. The mount is a slam dunk for little scopes like the PST, up through a C5, it looks like. The long 102mm OTA appears to be the only complication.

I'm wondering if my little one could find an OTA she liked for it.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (10/28/12 01:43 AM)

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #5532840 - 11/21/12 07:23 PM

Quote:

The optics are the same as the Omni 102. I plan on getting one so I can remount the OTA down the road and use the mount for my PST.

The optics are the same as the Omni 102 XLT or is there a Omni 102 I've never heard of? If its the same as the XLT is this really true?

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: Locoman]
      #5532900 - 11/21/12 08:10 PM

They're the same 4" f9.8 synta objective as the Omni XLT. The only dofference is the lens cell on the costco refractor is non-collimatable.

Danieljtb

Reged: 04/12/11

Loc: eugene OR
      #5533069 - 11/21/12 10:42 PM

Crowhaven Im in Eugene did costco have more of these scopes,or just the one you picked up? if they had more will need to find someone with a costco card

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
      #5533073 - 11/21/12 10:43 PM

I was just in my local (Richmond, VA) Costco this evening. They had about 15 of them left on the floor.

As for the non-collimatable objective, I dunno whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. (As Forrest Gump said, "You know ... one less thing." )

I guess, should the need ever arise, you could unmount (dismount?) the cell from the GT and replace it with a cell from an Omni and still come out a few hundred bucks ahead in the game.

I've had my 102GT for about 13 months now, and it continues to deliver stellar (ahem) images. No doubt the mount on the Omni is light-years (ahem ahem) ahead of the less substantial mount on the GT, but then again, I didn't have a $500 budget for a new scope, having just gone through a divorce and a job change in the wrong direction. This way I know I have a good OTA, and later I can change mounts or whatever as the need/desire arises. I feel it was a good way to get back into the hobby on a shoestring budget but still have enough aperture, and decent mechanicals, to enjoy a "real" telescope instead of the usual crapola available in this price range. Or, if I decide to move up into another scope, I've seen these GT's going for $50 over retail on ebay. I baby everything I own, so I should be able to get nearly everything out of it that I put into it -- especially if I sell sometime in the summer months since this appears to be a "holiday special" that Celestron ships to Costco only at this time of year. (Even the GT's page on Celestron's website notes, "Available at Costco.") Like last year, we probably won't see any more of these until late October 2013.

If you really want one of these and can't locate one near you, PM me here. I'll be happy to arrange a third-party purchase and ship one to you at whatever the cost comes to. I know, I know. I'm such a good guy. Hey, it's the Christmas season.

Meade

Edited by Meadeball (11/21/12 10:50 PM)

Sky Muse
sage

Reged: 10/26/12

Loc: De Soto County, MS
      #5533211 - 11/22/12 12:45 AM

That's rather bizarre that Costco, of all places, would have a four-inch, relatively long-focus achromat on their premises, much less for sale, though the inclusion of Huygenian oculars make it somewhat less surprising, granted.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco [Re: Sky Muse]
      #5533294 - 11/22/12 02:01 AM

Well, the kids fell in love with it. I've had my 7 year old daughter explaining how they could set it up, and I could set up a telescope, also. I'll have to be quiet until they can be surprised with it. I know some may disagree, but I've always thought the little NexStar mounts like this were neat.

-Rich

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: Danieljtb]
      #5534074 - 11/22/12 03:05 PM

Hi -- yes, the Eugene Costco had them on a floor pallet under some shelves in the section near the kids toys and musical instruments/keyboards etc. and holiday decos. At the time there was about a dozen left. I'm really shocked at the value still! The mt. works great and I got the adapters thru Amazon so as not to have to deal with the batteries. The scope itself is sharp and a nice achro for the price. I have smaller lt. wt. scopes (mt. is rated for about 8 lbs. I think) and a PST I'm primarily using the mt. for.
---Maya

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5534447 - 11/22/12 08:46 PM

My sympathies on your personal troubles;went through the same things "last century"

Despite some opinions I think this Celestron Costco special 102 goto is a nice scope for the money ,and even the unusual inclusion of Huygenian EPs isn't that bad considering the long focal length.Although I would have thought Celestron would incluse at least MA or SMA as with other scopes.

Nexstar controllers just seems to be easier to use than Autostar although both work well once aligned.

THe naysayers who insist you must spend $500 (or more) and thus disuade many would-be hobbyists from ever getting that first scope deserve a lump of coal in their stockings!

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: BigC]
      #5534849 - 11/23/12 04:07 AM

The eyepieces are budget quality, but they aren't bad. In fact I kind of like the little MH 25mm one -- it has a decent FOV (seems like maybe 40 degrees) and a good amount of eye relief -- I can keep my glasses on while using it. The 20mm Huygenian one is similar. They've got threaded metal barrels and the lenses are actually screwed into their plastic housings with metal O-rings. (I've seen cheap eyepieces whose lenses were merely GLUED into their barrels!) Where you might get one or maybe two MAs with most scopes in this price range, Celestron opted to go a little more budgety with the optics and give you a nice range of 5 eyepieces (4, 8, 12.5, 20 & 25) in a nice little padded case embossed with the Celestron logo.

tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5541223 - 11/26/12 10:45 PM

I find that this 5-eyepiece set works very well with my 50mm F/10 Galileoscope.

ASTROLAWYER

Reged: 01/25/08

Loc: Cook County, IL
Re: Celestron 100 mm f 9.8 achro with goto at Costco new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5579011 - 12/19/12 02:10 PM

Just thought you should know, my local Costco is now selling these for $199 with a $40 "Instant Rebate" from Celestron, yielding a $159 final price.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
35 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6135

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics