Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
guyve

Reged: 10/27/12

cg-5 and Orion 80ed
      #5533392 - 11/22/12 05:47 AM

Will the built in multistar alignment routine of the cg-5gt be adequate for 3-4 minutes subs with the Orion 80ed, awesome guidescope ensemble?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Ohio
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: guyve]
      #5533581 - 11/22/12 09:22 AM

I'm no AP expert but I know a lot of the AP guys use the CG5 with small telescopes so I think it would be fine.
Good polar alignment and drift aligning would probably be necessary. Don T.

Nils_Lars
Postmaster

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: Don Trinko]
      #5534025 - 11/22/12 02:15 PM

Or at least the all star polar align routine , drift is still best I think.

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: Don Trinko]
      #5534340 - 11/22/12 07:10 PM

With guiding, shorter exposures(2-3minutes) and smaller scope, you can get away with some polar misalignment.
Alex

astroricardo
sage

Reged: 11/14/11

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: avarakin]
      #5534342 - 11/22/12 07:14 PM

I start on polaris and do a two star alignment, and add at least two calibration stars. Mine is setup to pick two stars on the west for alignment and two stars in the east for calibration. An illuminated eyepiece with crosshairs help you get it just right.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/03/11

Loc: Western Oklahoma
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: astroricardo]
      #5534475 - 11/22/12 09:10 PM

If you do the hand controller polar alignment you should be able to get that time easily even without a guide scope. Since you are using a guide scope you should get ten minutes if you wanted or even more I would think.

guyve

Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: oldstargazer]
      #5534808 - 11/23/12 03:07 AM

Astroricardio - how long are the subs you get with that routine?
Oldstargazer - are those the times you are getting?

kozzina

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Czech Republic, Prague
      #5534907 - 11/23/12 05:58 AM

Guys, star aligment in hand controller has nothing to do with real good polaris aligment needed for astrophoto! its just and only for GOTO calibration!!!

All you need to do for astrophotography is good polar aligment thru polar scope buil in mount. Thats all. And with this setup there is no need for something like drift aligment. MY setup is very similar ... CG5 Advanced, SW80ED and guiding scope Scopos ED66/400. I have no problem do 10min+ exposures (longest ever was 15minute). Polar aligment takes something about 2-3 minutes (im getting current polaris position from program in my android phone) and after powering my mount im using Quick aligment options, because i hate that long routine of GOTO calibration and i would rather find objects by myself and finder scope.

edit: imho i dont think, that its possible make 3-4min subs UNGUIDED with this scope and mount not even with drift aligment. its real with some short focal lenght (<200) but not with focal lenght 500+.

Edited by kozzina (11/23/12 06:11 AM)

Steblaj

Reged: 07/27/12

Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: kozzina]
      #5534967 - 11/23/12 07:45 AM

I use SW100ED (900mm fl) with my CG5, guiding through Orion OAG + QHY5. Been able to go up to 10 minute exposures, probably could do more but haven't tried yet). I'd estimate that I drop less than 30% of my exposures.

Just do the two star alignment + 4 calibrations, then do the polar align option from the handset (ASPA is dependant od accurate two-star alignment). After that I like to do some 10 minute drifting just to be sure i'm spot-on. After that, just shoot away.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: Steblaj]
      #5535042 - 11/23/12 08:54 AM

Balance is important but see no reason you cannot get 7-10 min exposures using the SSAG at the Orion's ED FL. I use 500mm+ routinely. Polar alignment is key but have found the handset ASPA to be adequate after two iterations, even if I can't see Polaris. I use 2 alignment stars followed by 4 calib stars and then ASPA. Power off and repeat from beginning but after ASPA redo alignment and calib stars manually. Works for me.

Best,

George

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: kozzina]
      #5535239 - 11/23/12 10:54 AM

I agree with Kozzina, with a properly installed and calibrated Polar scope, no star alignment is required if you can see Polaris.

Very accurate Polar alignments can be made in only a couple of minutes with a Polar scope and with guiding, I have made exposures as long as 30 minutes with perfect star geometry and no sign of trailing... No need for a cumbersome star alignment procedure unless you can not see Polaris at your location...

And if you add Astrotortilla to your mix of imaging software, you will never do another manual star alignment again... AT is the fastest, most efficient way to get to imaging I have found... Extremely accurate and if you make a reference folder of JPG images of your favorite alignment stars, simple open an image in AT and it will aim the scope right at it and you can synchronize the sky model and takes no more than 5 minutes tops for the first and the next object in less than a minute typically to put it within 15% of center of the FOV.

My setup time to imaging is usually about 20 to 30 minutes with this method...

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: fmhill]
      #5535400 - 11/23/12 12:32 PM

Mitch,
I keep hearing about Astrotortilla and also wanting to try it.
Does it integrate with BYEOS? Manual says it integrates with APT only.

Alex

guyve

#5535537 - 11/23/12 01:38 PM

My problem is Polaris is blocked at my site and drift alignment is a pain - that's why I'm asking about the any star technique

fmhill
sage

#5535724 - 11/23/12 03:23 PM

Quote:

Mitch,
I keep hearing about Astrotortilla and also wanting to try it.
Does it integrate with BYEOS? Manual says it integrates with APT only.

Alex

Hi Alex,

No integration with BYEOS at this time however Guylain is working on that. He says the next full release of BYEOS will have it...

However, you do not need integration with any camera imaging software to use AT very successfully, using it with BYEOS is very simple, you use the image file opening feature of AT, or the "Image goto" feature and simply point AT to a BYEOS "SNAP" or "PREVIEW" image you have just made in BYEOS and AT does its thing.

Integration would simply automate the image acquisition in AT however 3 mouse clicks is all it takes without integration, very simple to do...

fmhill
sage

#5535741 - 11/23/12 03:33 PM

In answer to your original question, Yes, a software ASPA will work handsomely for you. There is an excellent program called "AlignMaster" that works very well I am told. I have a copy of AlignMaster on my laptop but have never used it as Polaris is highly visible at my location and finding alignment stars is very difficult due to high old growth trees surrounding me...

I also have a CG-5 mount and 3 to 5 minute exposures should be fine as long as you get an accurate polar alignment by any method...

Edited by fmhill (11/23/12 03:36 PM)

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

#5536389 - 11/23/12 10:37 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Quote:

Will the built in multistar alignment routine of the cg-5gt be adequate for 3-4 minutes subs with the Orion 80ed, awesome guidescope ensemble?

I always set my mount down with a pretty close polar alignment. After doing the alignment and cal stars then I do the hand controller polar alignment routine. I just removed almost all my captures from my computer because I was running out of disk space so having hard time finding disk with the exposure time you are asking about. I found this one using my cheapo 80mm scope which has some distortion at the edges. Hope to replace it with an ed version real soon. Anyway this is two minutes on my CG5 after doing as described above. I have gone over 5 minutes with my CG5 many times and I do not have a guide scope.

Steblaj

Reged: 07/27/12

#5536635 - 11/24/12 04:25 AM

I would like to reiterate what ghataa said: balance seems key to my cg5. More than accurate alignment, when using guiding.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Re: cg-5 and Orion 80ed new [Re: Steblaj]
      #5536846 - 11/24/12 09:06 AM

Balance it the most important aspect with any EQ mount, goto or regular which is why I didn't mention it. Figured that anyone that has used an EQ mount would know that.

akoroves

Reged: 09/05/11

#5538787 - 11/25/12 02:04 PM

I've gotten five minute subs with my cg5 and a telescope with a focal length of 800mm. I use Orion's StarShoot autoguider with a ST80. This combination gives me reasonably round stars.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 945

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics