Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror
      #5533479 - 11/22/12 07:43 AM

Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror

By TOM DUNCAN

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5533613 - 11/22/12 09:40 AM

I've got one too. You took the words right out of my mouth. Great scope. The shorter fl Ramsdens were a little hinky; I have a box of these with Barlows. If you are interested in historicity, I do have them and can part with them with great joy, quite cheaply for an Edmund owner who is so happy with his scope..

All the best,

Ed

Edited by ed_turco (11/22/12 09:43 AM)

astrogeezer41

Reged: 08/27/10

Re: Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5533961 - 11/22/12 01:21 PM

Great review Tom. I very much enjoyed reading your review of that old Edmund telescope. And a rectangular secondary too!
I had forgotten that such things had existed.

Thanks again,
Robert

tcmzodiac
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/11/11

Re: Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror new [Re: astrogeezer41]
      #5534439 - 11/22/12 08:41 PM

That was my first scope that I really put thru the paces. Prior, I had a couple of smaller refractors including a Mayflower 60..AZ that seems to get alot of love by some.

My buddy up the street had an Edmund D.S.C. and I just had to talk Dad into getting me one for Christmas. It was alot of $$ in that day, but Dad made a good investment. It was Christmas 1968 and I was 12 years old. Over the next 2.5 years I was as dedicated and as stalwart an observer as is possible! All weathers (clear to not so) and all temps in that Chicago suburb, all hours.

My Deluxe Space Conqueror changed my life. It fit right into my science hobby world, in a huge way. I still spent plenty of time with my microscope, etc, but astronomy took first place. I really value my notebook from those days.

As equipped, the 18-point-something Kellner EP got the most use, yielding as I recall 48x. I still have it but just cant find it...must dig it out! The barlow was ok with that EP, not up to modern stds by any means. The "high power" Ramsden was worthless...never used it. I dreamed of having other EPs but alas...no $$$$

My D.S.C. lives on in my world in a different form; many years ago I acquired a very nice Edmund 4.25" f4 mirror...and so I chopped the tube down. At the time of this writing, the newly refinished tube is drying, awaiting wet sanding/buffing. The extra holes were Bondo'd over...the tube will match the reflective/anodised look of the poles and finder on my new ATM build. I built a new focuser for it too.

The Circle T 6x30 finder and rings, I still have them. Not a bad finder! In addition, the original mirror cell is in use, altho I replaced the stalk secondary holder with a 3 vane spider this time around.

The original secondary was not a rectangular mirror on mine, rather, it was a first surface coated prism.

Im delighted to see Tom's writeup...I'd buy one again given the chance. That telescope was my main love...until I discovered girls, Les Pauls, and 50w Marshall half stacks (those took many many miles of grass cutting to acquire!)

Oh and BTW my OTA was not strapped on...it was held via 2 bolts at the bottom edge of the tube. Other than that and the secondary it seems to be identical to Toms scope....except that my brand new drive never worked!

I also had the optional sun projection screen (the bracket holes for which comprise that set of 4 holes in the tube at the EP end). Used it to time sunspot disappearances (with my buddy Ken Hardy) during a partial eclipse and actually got our names in Sky and Telescope!

Edited by tcmzodiac (11/22/12 08:51 PM)

astrogeezer41

Re: Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror new [Re: tcmzodiac]
      #5535163 - 11/23/12 10:04 AM

Terry,

Thanks for the great write-up about your old Edmond. I really enjoyed reading the story and hope that you can find one someday.

Thanks again,
Robert

Mike Allen

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Ohio
      #5537636 - 11/24/12 06:24 PM

Great review. I've got one with the prism secondary. To avoid the tight slip fit focuser, I use .965 orthos/kellners and a 1.25 to .965 adapter. One of my best views of Delta Cygnus was with this scope. The single stalk secondary holder draws diffraction ring light of the primary away from the close companion leaving dark space between the components. Like the review states, pads under the legs to dampen vibration are a must.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #5537909 - 11/24/12 09:57 PM

Quote:

...... The original secondary was not a rectangular mirror on mine, rather, it was a first surface coated prism.

.....Oh and BTW my OTA was not strapped on...it was held via 2 bolts at the bottom edge of the tube. Other than that and the secondary it seems to be identical to Toms scope........

I got this earlier version in 1961. It was a great little scope that I kept for many years until a fellow finally talked me into selling it to him so that he could give it to another guy who he had met in a brain injury rehab facility. The new owner was still mostly confined to a wheelchair, so the little scope was a great size for him. I can still remember, as a 14 year old, finding the ring nebula – my first deep sky object – with this scope.

Edmund did offer some great scopes back in the ‘60s and 70s.

Guido Santacana

Reged: 04/09/09

Re: Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror new [Re: George N]
      #5539195 - 11/25/12 06:21 PM

Great review of another Edmund classic. Although I did not own a 4.25" Edmund reflector, I built a 6" f/8 with the Edmund primary and secondary mirrors. That was back in the 70s. Their now famous Sam Brown book, All About Telescopes became my mentor in building the tube assembly and simple altazimuth mount made from pipe fittings. The optics were superb. Eventually over the years the telescope was given away to a friend in need of one while I upgraded to bigger scopes only to end up with smaller more manageable ones nowadays. The Edmund optics have never been forgotten. I am glad to see another Edmund telescope saved and in excellent hands. Those good old days of the old Edmunds and their great catalogs are missed.

Clear Skies!

Guido Santacana

tcmzodiac
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/11/11

Re: Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror new [Re: Guido Santacana]
      #5539221 - 11/25/12 06:35 PM

Guido,
Yes...those days are missed indeed!

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
      #5539817 - 11/26/12 05:13 AM

The Palomar Jr. version from 1965 was my first scope.

This thread brings back a lot of pleasant memories.

Tom

astrogeezer41

#5541063 - 11/26/12 09:14 PM

Hi Guido,
Your post brought back memories for me. My first telescope was also built using Sam Brown's book. It was a 6"f/10 Newtonian with a Coulter mirror and the rest of the parts ether from Edmund or made for me by a friend from Brown's book: pipe fitted mount, plywood mirror cell, spiral cardboard tube (Edmund) 1.3" diagonal (Edmund), cheap mostly plastic friction focuser (Edmund), 1-vane diagonal (Edmund), and one 25mm eyepiece (from Edmund). Upon assembly it worked quite well. On its first light I saw,(all at 60x) Saturn and Rings, barely but definitely split the "double-double", and swept up the Owl Nebula.

I sold that scope about two years later (1977) but later built a more sophisticated version with with a 6"f/8 mirror and with better parts. It was a "Planetary Newtonian" (.75"
diagonal, circular spider, low profile helical focuser,
and is now in a fiberglass tube which rides on a Dobsonian mount made by Stargazer Steve. I built that scope in 1982, have used it for 30+ years, and am still amazed by its performance. I love 6"f/8 Newtonians!

Well, sorry for the long story but I had to tell you about it.
- Robert

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5542218 - 11/27/12 02:16 PM

Ayup, this one brought back the memories! Was my *second* scope, after my late 60's "MonkeyWards" 60mm refractor. Drooled over ads for the RV-6 'Dynascope', but couldn't afford THAT! Mine was an early 70's white-tuber, with the rectangular secondary on a thick stalk, slip-fit drawtube, & OTA bolted to the cradle. I recall ordering from Edmunds the "strap" retrofit kit, and getting a "rotating-tube" (with some effort ) assembly from installing them.

Came with the Ramsden EPs, a sliding-ring variable Barlow, and was when i purchased my very first "upgrade" EP- a 12.5mm 'Edscorp' Ortho... still have it today! This was back when Jupiter's "red spot" was marvelously "RED", and this scope showed me the Universe!

Sold it in the mid-80's, along with the 'fractor, in order to upgrade to Meade's 826c 8" EQ-mounted Newt- in time for Halley!

Thanks, Tom, for posting this story, and for the link to the old catalog! A very fine trip, indeed!
mike b

astrogeezer41

Re: Edmund 4.25” Deluxe Space Conqueror new [Re: Mike B]
      #5543555 - 11/28/12 10:23 AM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the memories!
-Robert

oldtimer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/13/08

Loc: Lake County Illinois
Re: Edmund 4.25” Space Conqueror - A SHOCKER!! new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5543786 - 11/28/12 12:33 PM

Are you ready for this? Edmund still sells the same EXACT mirror that went into these scopes -- tody's price $475.00, no the decimal is not in the wrong place its four hundred and seventy five dollars with the standard coating.

astrogeezer41

Re: Edmund 4.25” Space Conqueror - A SHOCKER!! new [Re: oldtimer]
      #5544066 - 11/28/12 03:19 PM

Can't say that I was ready for it. Good grief!

What is Edmund thinking about?

-Robert

LouHalikman

Reged: 02/23/11

Loc: North Central Maryland
Re: Edmund 4.25” Space Conqueror - A SHOCKER!! new [Re: astrogeezer41]
      #5546751 - 11/30/12 07:50 AM

This was my first real telescope many, many years ago in the 1960's. Astounding views of the moon and planets. I remember having to save and do odd jobs for a year to buy this telescope, and I used it for at least 10 years afterwards. Thanks for the review -- wonderful memories came flooding back when I read it. Like going to a reunion. Lou

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Edmund 4.25” Space Conqueror - A SHOCKER!! new [Re: LouHalikman]
      #5548527 - 12/01/12 10:17 AM

I remember looking at those old Edmund Scientific catalogs when I was in my younger days and this was the scope that I really wanted. I approached my parents about it, but they were not too keen on the idea and I ended up getting a Jason 60mm refractor at a local discount store.

Guido Santacana

Reged: 04/09/09

#5552799 - 12/03/12 08:47 PM

That is a great story Robert. I also used the cheap Edmund helical focuser with the stalk for the diagonal. The tube was spiral cardboard obtained locally. The pipe fitting mount worked very well. This was my first telescope larger than 3" and I was delighted with the optical performance. I regretted giving it away because the replacement was an 8" Bausch & Lomb SCT with poor optics. Luckily in the early 90s a friend called me to give me a telescope that he had been given some years earlier. To my surprise it was a Criterion RV6 Dynascope missing only the eyepieces. I had the secondary and primary realuminized and still use it today. Excellent scope.

Guido
RV6 Dynascope
4" f/13 Carton
3" f/16 Sears (Royal Astro Optical)
2.4" f/11 Sears
6" f/8 Celestron (Synta)
4.8" F/8 Orion (Synta)
2.4" f /17 Carton
6" f/12 Orion Maksutov

astrogeezer41

#5554123 - 12/04/12 02:48 PM

Hi Guido,

Thanks for the kind comments. You have a pretty interesting story too. I'll bet you love your RV6 Criterion like I love my 6"f/8 Planetary Newtonian. In fact I just plain love 6"f/8s!

You have a very interesting collection of telescopes and some real classics.
I have really enjoyed this thread and your posts in particular.

CS,
Robert
SV80 Aplanat (F7)
SV80/9D
SV102F11
6"f/8 Homemade Planetary Newt.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
      #5555331 - 12/05/12 09:21 AM

I still have those vintage Edmund eyepieces. As a helpful hint, the use of prism faces is never a good idea for diagonals. The tolerences are mentioned and while great for binocs during wartime, they are never good enough for a diagonal, even at f/10. Would suggest a 1 x 1.4" rectangle diag for old time's sake; see SS or a good, believe or not, if you wish to get fancy, try a .75" elliptical of known quantity. It could make a real difference. I have a few of those rectangles around, and they are Edmund, but from SS and they are gold coated. After a while, I've never really noticed that much difference.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4142

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics