Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
phillip
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Sterling, Illinois
First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 new
      #5522516 - 11/16/12 09:40 AM

Not completely new to goto as use the ETX90. Some reason things went way off course as using the Sky Tour last night used Vega and Polaris, selected Andromeda, wow right to it. But the next selections things suddenly go wrong. Checking it moments ago inside entered last nights settings, but hit Align after it slewed to an object, suddenly things are pointing on course. Tho did use Align on Two Star alignment setup, had no idea is needed during the tour. Perhaps this is normal, anxious to check it out tonight.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 new [Re: phillip]
      #5523002 - 11/16/12 02:30 PM

What are you using for power?
-Dan

phillip
professor emeritus

Re: First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5523035 - 11/16/12 03:01 PM

Using the Celestron power tank portable battery unit, as internal batteries use just for backup. Looked promising on indoor test, hope sky's stay clear.

I was using just Enter last night, other than first object correct, completely strayed on the others, refused to even point back to Polaris. A l I g n must be a confirmation before moving to next, just my guess.

Edited by phillip (11/16/12 03:17 PM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5523128 - 11/16/12 04:13 PM

Hi Phil,
When aligning the scope, you have to press ENTER followed by ALIGN when centering both Stars, using Auto or Manual two star alignment.
Once the scope is aligned, then, after selecting your object, pressing ENTER is all that is needed to Goto that, and all susequent objects.

Regards. Peter.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 new [Re: Peter9]
      #5524103 - 11/17/12 10:35 AM

Hi Phillip:

As Peter points out, it seems like you've only gone through part of the alignment procedure. Read your manual and it will walk you through the steps.

But basically, the first step for each star is to line it up in the finder and press Enter. Then you move to the eyepiece, center the target there, and press Align. The reason for the two step process is that the speed of the mount is set high for the first step as a coarse adjustment, and then once it's close, the mount switches to a slower speed for the fine adjustment at the eyepiece.

Once you've gone through both steps for the first star, you then do the same for the second star.
-Dan

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #5524247 - 11/17/12 11:55 AM

Hi Phillip:

Here's a step-by-step guide written a while back: linky-dink

Hope this helps,

Art

phillip
professor emeritus

Re: First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5528529 - 11/19/12 06:25 PM

All above info helped, tnx. Did a daytime test today found my entry omissions, also the internal batteries fade quickly and failed to guide. Power tank helps tremendously, last two setups able to switch from stars to deep sky and seemed to point correctly, at end right back to Polaris. Just needed daytime practice. Again tnx for the great advice, what I needed!

Now need clear sky's, patience, sigh.

phillip
professor emeritus

#5533480 - 11/22/12 07:43 AM

Again tnx all for the help. Moments ago caught Saturn, used solar system align with Venus than it went right to Saturn already in the early dawn glow. Heavy atmosphere view but ring easily displayed, too late to catch 9 mag Titan. Tho just several minutes impressed with the smooth tracking. Shared the view with passing neighbor. Nice. Easy ring view with 2X Barlow .

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 [Re: phillip]
      #5533665 - 11/22/12 10:13 AM

Hi Phillip:

Just want to mention that solar system align relies on the mount being accurately leveled to do a good job. It's handy for a quick look at a planet or the moon when there are no stars available for alignment - like in your situation. It will track pretty well on solar system targets, but won't do very well for gotos that move to targets away from the planets.

The auto-two star and sky align techniques don't really require your mount to be very level so when you use those, you can just eyeball-level the mount.

-Dan

phillip
professor emeritus

#5554665 - 12/04/12 09:24 PM

Went thru the brighter deep sky moments ago, last sky's favorable. Wanted a good view of a favorite M27 Dumbell Nebula.

Used Polaris and Vega for align. Ureeka it went right to M27, tho soft it glowed with extended ends. Conditions favorable caught the Snowball Nebula even low power showed as a fuzzy star. Perhaps slightly more challenge the Blinking Nebula, color helps give it away, again doesn't focus another detection and dims, direct view sometimes blinking effect as its name.

Also look at the famed Ring Nebula, medium high power give the majestic ring effect, but only low power this time still showed a smaller but definite ring.
Looking forward to winter observations.

Edited by phillip (12/04/12 09:32 PM)

phillip
professor emeritus

#5555110 - 12/05/12 04:44 AM

I enjoy the small portable scopes and the SE6 just gets you there, falls short of a more serious planetary scope as use the XT8 for more detail. But Jupiter was pleasing, sky's a touch of fleeting steady easily shows more than two major bands and already caught a shadow IO transit a favorite. As will be another one Wed evening, work but may catch its exit.

The Snowball Nebula well placed early evening did show touch of size even at low power, I'm pleased.

phillip
professor emeritus

#5570567 - 12/14/12 10:05 AM

Fun sunrise views, was out earlier and aligned with Venus, sky started to glow with coming sunrise, selected Saturn and correctly went right to it. Still abit low but ring and dark band easy, Clave eyepiece at 187X gave nice spacing between globe and ring. Thought for a moment the division blinked at rings far edges but too brief. Finished near an hour after sunrise enjoying daytime views of Venus, glowed even with its filling disc phase, as brighter when more crescent phase.

Even with single Venus alignment tracking was decent, it's near silent and smooth, huge difference from noisy ETX, tho also a fun scope.

XT8 Dob
ETX90
SE6
Nagler and 8MM Clave Eyepieces For Planetary

Edited by phillip (12/14/12 10:10 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5570633 - 12/14/12 10:47 AM

Hi Phil,
Pleased you enjoyed your run out with the 6se. Guess you did'nt have a chance to catch Mercury which would be lower in the sky (by Nu Scorpii). That little B....r has eluded me so far.

I have always found solar align to be accurate enough to allow me to carry on observing for the rest of the night, without have to realign. This after using it to observe say, the Moon, in the early evening, before proper darkness has set in.

Thanks for the report.

Regards. Peter.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5571255 - 12/14/12 06:10 PM

Hi Phil:

Thanks for the reports! Sounds like you're enjoying that scope!

-Dan

phillip
professor emeritus

#5571468 - 12/14/12 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone, failed to check Mercury. Use to have a near horizon shot at different location years back, and caught Mercury visuals frequently when well placed.

Anxious for Saturn views when it reaches a higher placement.

Mercury shows brighter magnitude than Saturn, but low as expected in the Safari program, neat to see if it showed near sun break as my visual isn't that low to horizon now for earlier peek.

Edited by phillip (12/14/12 08:21 PM)

jrw11
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/09/07

Loc: unknown
      #5571860 - 12/15/12 12:42 AM

Am also thinking of getting the SE6. Since my 6" reflector is only a f/5. feel that the SE would be better for the planets.

phillip
professor emeritus

Re: First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 new [Re: jrw11]
      #5572127 - 12/15/12 08:06 AM

Did some serious viewing on planets with med small scopes over the years, basically aperture wins in most cases. Longer focal length is an asset, the SE6 is a nice compact entry, your likely not to go over 200X with sky conditions and size.

Best views with patience when sky's steady is with my Dob XT8, even Mars one of its close encounters had amazing detail with the rare steady sky, observed over 3 to 4 month frequently. It wins.

Use the SE6 for easy locating, beautiful tracking and larger features. Each design has its advantage.

Great fun with the SE6

ETX90
5 inch STube
SE6
XT8 Dob
Nagler and 8MM Clave Planetary

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: First Attempts Sky Tour SE6 new [Re: jrw11]
      #5572224 - 12/15/12 09:29 AM

Quote:

Am also thinking of getting the SE6. Since my 6" reflector is only a f/5. feel that the SE would be better for the planets.

Hi jrw11:

I left a response to your note in the other post, but that seemed more geared towards AP. As far as viewing the planets, I think you'll see little or no difference between the 6" SCT and a 6" reflector. The f/5 on the reflector just means you need shorter eyepieces or a barlow to get the same magnification as the reflector.

To get better views, you'd want more aperture which would give you higher resolution.

-Dan

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #5572894 - 12/15/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

Hi Phil,
Pleased you enjoyed your run out with the 6se. Guess you did'nt have a chance to catch Mercury which would be lower in the sky (by Nu Scorpii). That little B....r has eluded me so far.

I have always found solar align to be accurate enough to allow me to carry on observing for the rest of the night, without have to realign. This after using it to observe say, the Moon, in the early evening, before proper darkness has set in.

Thanks for the report.

Regards. Peter.

Caught Mercury & Venus on Thursday morning at around 07:08 UT.
Only the 2nd time to my sure and certain knowledge that I've bagged it.

It was the only time in about a month that we've had clear skies in the morning. The following day, we had freezing fog and sheet black ice!

Art

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1346

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics