Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
mark cowan
Vendor (Veritas Optics)

Reged: 06/03/05

Loc: salem, OR
Re: 1/10 wave? new [Re: ausastronomer]
      #5559534 - 12/07/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

ie was it a genuine 1/4 wave mirror that was smooth, free of astigmatsm, with a good edge correction and it's only aberation was 1/4 wave of correction error?

Well, it could have astigmatism, a poor edge and not be smooth and still show "genuine" 1/4 wave performance. Errors accumulate.

But in the presence of those sort of errors, low resolution testing might easily rate it as better than it actually was (Foucault being blind to all three for the most part) and so be labeled better; in which case improving it by fixing those errors could produce dramatic results.

Best,
Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: 1/10 wave? new [Re: mark cowan]
      #5578478 - 12/19/12 07:10 AM

Well, I posted my soon-to-be-here-if-the-end-of-the-world-doesn't-come-first 12" Orion Optics 1/10 primary mirror Zygo report and reading this thread I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Mirror quality is a subject that causes friction.
2. People can have diametrically opposite views and everything in between on the subject matter.
3. Zygo reports are to be taken with a pinch of salt.
4. Nothing beats testing the mirror in the field and then experience plays a huge role in understanding if you got a good mirror or a lemon.

I will spy with my little eye and see how my dob performs, paying no heed to the Zygo report even though the test indicates a decent mirror

Nicos

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5432

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics