Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
caiosenna

Reged: 09/16/12

nexstar real weight
      #5533791 - 11/22/12 11:30 AM

someone who has the nexstar 6se can weight it and tell me what the true weight of the ota, tripod and the mount?
i have read that the information from celestron are wrong.
i will go to new york and want to know if i can bring the ota and mount(not tripod) as 2 hand luggae with 5kg as limit.
sorry me by the bad english

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: nexstar real weight new [Re: caiosenna]
      #5533919 - 11/22/12 12:59 PM

caiosenna, welcome to CN.

I would take the ota off of the mount (it comes off very easily), wrap it in some thin clothing and put it in your carry on (maybe in something like a knapsack). The ota by itself weighs around 4kg.

The mount could then go in with your checked luggage. You could put the fork mount in a suitcase with some more clothing packed around it. If you were worried about the handling of your mount you might use the original foam packing (may need to trim it a bit to fit within a suitcase) and pack some of your clothing where the ota would normally go.

The security folks will usually have no problems with the ota, I've traveled with a c6 ota and usually just tell them up front "it's a small telescope - just like a big telephoto lens". If it's not too busy you may also get questions to you like "what can you see with it?".

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 273

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics