Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Neighbor's Annoying Dog
      #5534319 - 11/22/12 06:40 PM Attachment (70 downloads)

Everytime I'm outside this cute little dog just yacks away. OMG!

Well my neighbor is a recent 80yr young widow and her *&*$# daughters suggested,"oh get a dog, and how about this kind, they like to bark, it will protect you."

it gets so bad they have to come bring the dog inside. Maybe I'll get some peace while I'm observing but soon comes that *$^% annoying barking dog!!! Again!!! It's even outside barking as I type this.

I want to get some bark begone but I read those devices only work for a little while then the dog get use to the frequencies and continues to bark all over again.

OMG!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5534325 - 11/22/12 06:47 PM

I feel your pain, that's one reason I moved to the country.

Spoonsize
DURHAM 157494

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: wky46]
      #5534335 - 11/22/12 07:06 PM

Have you tried making friends with the furball? Passing it treats when you get close and AFTER it stops barking when you're around?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5534350 - 11/22/12 07:22 PM

How long has the dog been there? If just recent, I would guess with some interaction from you, talking to him, petting, etc., he will become accustomed to you being out there & may just bark when you first appear, then quit after seeing it's you. Be thankful, at least it's in a fenced yard!

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Spoonsize]
      #5534351 - 11/22/12 07:22 PM

It looks to be a Shelty. My cousin had two of them, and all they ever did was bark, and yap! They're high strung little goobers, my condolences.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Spoonsize]
      #5534377 - 11/22/12 07:52 PM

yes I made friends with it. all it wants to do is be next to me like I'm the pack leader, but its not my dog, I can't take it out of her backyard so all it does is bark bark bark!

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5534380 - 11/22/12 07:57 PM

I agree get to know it AFTER A GETTING TO KNOW THE OWNER,
perhaps taking it for a walk or two.
They will both like you! I had a situation like that,
all it took was a phone call when I was going out.
I was thinking those were inside dogs? Cute little thig.
I feel your pain, but get ready for the story of her life,
possibly some yummy cookies.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5534383 - 11/22/12 08:00 PM

My sympathies!

If the widow neighbor doesn't know you well,she may think it suspicious a "grown man is outside at night with a telescope".

Anyway,in your case,try to work with the neighbors and hopefully you can make friends with the dog.

But if no relief happens,then I would use the laws about nuisance animals and file complaints unless you are willing to sacrifice your enjoyment just to get along with the neighbor.

MY barking dog story:
Closer to home,when I was a teenager living in the country and bought my first telescope ,ONE of our dogs just would not stop barking if I was outside at night! She was ok with my working at the barn,but outside in the dark?No way!! That dog was my mother's favorite and ,like the dog, my mother (nor my father)could not understand why I wanted to be outside in the dark;so nothing was done to curb the barking.Actually my parents laughed and said the dog had more sense:"she knows you should be inside at night".. Sometimes you can't fight "city hall"! So there was no star gazing until that dog died years later.(And no I didn't help it along.)

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BigC]
      #5534418 - 11/22/12 08:28 PM

The dog needs to work off some energy everyday and an 80yr old owner probably can,t walk it. Ask the owner if you can walk the dog when you are able, you will be doing both of them a favor and geting some exercise for you too. After a good walk the dog should settle down.
Rex

bigdob24

Reged: 04/19/08

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: tomcody]
      #5534431 - 11/22/12 08:35 PM

maybe he will chase a laser, kinda like a cat.
Run him around and wear him out , maybe he will just laydown and take a nap:-)
Talk with your neighbor and work something out.

Meep_Esq

Reged: 01/02/07

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: bigdob24]
      #5534438 - 11/22/12 08:40 PM

Definitely talk to the owner and say "hello". I had a neighbor that had a bull terrier. One of my first nights out in the garden and this damn thing just about tore thru the hedge to get me - couldn't decide if it was quicker to clamber up the refractors tripod or race for the back door. Survived to observe another day >:-)

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: orion61]
      #5534461 - 11/22/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

possibly some yummy cookies.

I was thinking if I could make the dog fat enough it wouldn't have the energy, well that's what happened to me.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Meep_Esq]
      #5534463 - 11/22/12 09:01 PM

The problem is the fence not the dog. Dogs bark at things on the other side of the fence. It's their job. If you wouldn't mind him/her hanging with you while you observe then go talk to the owner. I think this is an easy fix.

Shelties are awesome smart very sweet dogs. I've owned one and she was a lovely dog but yes she did like to bark. It's in their nature as they are herding dogs. Mine liked to herd my chickens around.

So like suggested go talk to the woman and see if you can get to know her dog better. This might be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Bill

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5534525 - 11/22/12 09:54 PM

Quote:

So like suggested go talk to the woman and see if you can get to know her dog better.

I know her and the little @$##$ thing quite well.

Yes the fence seems to bother him. He's a boy dog, he likes to hang with the boys which is a sad thing for him to be with her.

and yes neighbor doesn't have the energy for this dog. I saw that a mile away. My wife and I were thinking if she wanted a companion animal she should've got a more low energy animal something that fit her energy levels.

I offered to walk her dog, I offered for my son to walk her dog. But she doesn't want that for whatever reason. Maybe she affraid something will happen.

I'll have to see what kind of cookies the dog likes. Oh my cassie your getting fat...

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
      #5534600 - 11/22/12 10:59 PM

As a last resort, try a squirt bottle with full strength ammonia, but that might get you in kahoots with your neighbor. A better option might be is to try dog treats and make friends with the dog. Sometimes you can make more friends with honey than with vinegar.
David

BarbMoore
sage

Reged: 05/11/09

Loc: South central New Mexico
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: DavidC]
      #5534620 - 11/22/12 11:16 PM

Dogs bark, that's their nature. Some people get dogs to warn them of someone outside their home. If the dog is barking when no one is around, call animal control. Most cities have ordinances against "excessive" barking.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: DavidC]
      #5534627 - 11/22/12 11:25 PM

Quote:

try a squirt bottle with full strength ammonia,

Folks; let's not go down a path that could be considered cruelty to animals.

Perhaps she would be willing to keep the dog inside when you are observing.

DarkDisplay
sage

Reged: 12/21/10

Loc: Texas
      #5534650 - 11/22/12 11:53 PM

Dogs need to be disciplined by their owners. Unfortunately, many people are too lazy to do that. I've had neighbors with dogs that barked continually day and night. My dogs never did that. They obeyed me.

Our city has an ordinance concerning barking dogs - a very hefty fine. I've never hesitated to take advantage of it. Barking at a cat, a meter reader or mail carrier is to be expected. However, to bark all the time...well, I take care of business. Whatever it takes.

Beat wishes,
Frank

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: DarkDisplay]
      #5534812 - 11/23/12 03:21 AM

I'm not sure where "Montclair" is, but we had a problem here in Richmond with a barking dog that was left outdoors all night when I was younger. This dog was outside barking at my brother and me when we were bundled up and observing in 20-degree weather one winter night. My dad called the police and they paid the owner a visit, telling them not only about neighbor complaints about a nuisance dog, but also that leaving the dog outside in subfreezing weather was enough for an animal cruelty charge (felony). The next night the dog was inside and it didn't bother us again ... well, until the weather warmed up in the spring, but the neighbor got pretty good about taking the dog inside if it started making a lot of racket.

My parents had a sheltie who died a couple of years ago. She was an AKC-registered purebred and won a lot of show awards. (My parents were retired and into that stuff.) Rosie was a sweet dog, but yeah, she liked to bark!

Meade

Edited by Meadeball (11/23/12 03:25 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5534869 - 11/23/12 04:40 AM

Quote:

The problem is the fence not the dog. Dogs bark at things on the other side of the fence. It's their job. If you wouldn't mind him/her hanging with you while you observe then go talk to the owner. I think this is an easy fix.
Bill

Okay assuming this works and the dog sits next to him, wouldn't he start barking at someone over the next fence.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5534929 - 11/23/12 07:08 AM

the dog is doing it's job-barking at strangers and potential threats -protecting the homeland

make friends, as many above have suggested, both the dog and owner

the recent widow may be a scared of you as you are irritated at the dog
and remember, your rights end at the fence line

edj

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5534932 - 11/23/12 07:11 AM

worse comes to worse,
you could call the police on the barking dog,
she could call the police on the NH3 spray,
but I would not want to face an 80 yo recent widow in court

edj

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5535007 - 11/23/12 08:30 AM

If the widow is elderly purhaps she is also hard of hearing and may not even know the dog is barking. When you age you first lose the ability to hear high pitch sounds like a small dog barking.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5535064 - 11/23/12 09:06 AM

Well you could try one of those dog barking machines..buy it maybe from a local pet store and try it out for a while. If it don't work, take it back and get your money back.

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5535075 - 11/23/12 09:12 AM

Quote:

the dog is doing it's job-barking at strangers and potential threats -protecting the homeland

Well in this situation I am friends with the dog and the neighbor.

But I can ask her only so much or she'll get flustered and I don't want her to have a stroke.

She does come and take the dog inside. and I tell Cassie,"I told you, you were going to get in trouble"

but I'll be outside for an hour and then here comes that &$^*% Cassie again.

I just bought a high frequency thingy to see how it will work.

for people suggesting the police; if I did persue legal actions, I would be viewed by the other neighbors as such a JERK that I eventually would have to move.

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
      #5535088 - 11/23/12 09:17 AM

Just turn your ear off. That's what I do.

Regards,
Brad

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

#5535160 - 11/23/12 10:03 AM

Quote:

edj

Not entirely true.

You have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your residential property and loud music ,construction noise,bright lights aimed at your property from another, and barking dogs are all nuisances that courts have routinely held as infringements,especially if they occur late at night and regularly.

The widow should have gotten a smaller dog that would live inside happily,perhaps a Pomeranian.My family knew an older couple who had two beautiful Pomeranians that were always in the house when we visted and were well-behaved.

I feel sorry for the Sheltie.

And I blame the widow and her daughter(s) for treating as dog as they would a fashion accessory or appliance.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5535182 - 11/23/12 10:14 AM

When you plan an observing session; talk to the lady and ask if she could keep the dog in for the time you're observing.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#5535228 - 11/23/12 10:43 AM

I can't stand barking dogs. Even worse are the owners who don't care. Worrying about robbers to that degree isn't worth the headache. Even when squirrels shuffle in the trees, dogs go nuts. Pretty soon it's don't cry wolf. I couldn't concentrate on my night sky observing with that around me.

Edited by Daniel Mounsey (11/23/12 10:49 AM)

caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5535285 - 11/23/12 11:23 AM

I'd say make friends with the dog. We have fairly new neighbors (about a year now) and at first, their dog (a large boxer) always barked at me whenever I was outside and he was out, be it day or night. I always made it a point to talk to the dog while I was out. Later as he got to know me a bit I slipped him a dog treat now and then through the fence. After that, I would pet and scratch him a bit (he loves that). Now the only time he barks when I'm outside is when he's demanding me to come over and pet him. After petting him for a bit he's content to lay quietly on their back deck and just watch me :-) .

Long story short, befriend the dog and you'll cease to be a threat to bark at, instead you'll become part of the normal landscape!

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5535334 - 11/23/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

When you plan an observing session; talk to the lady and ask if she could keep the dog in for the time you're observing.

best solution thus far

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5535336 - 11/23/12 11:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

edj

Not entirely true.

You have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your residential property and loud music ,construction noise,bright lights aimed at your property from another, and barking dogs are all nuisances that courts have routinely held as infringements,especially if they occur late at night and regularly.

The widow should have gotten a smaller dog that would live inside happily,perhaps a Pomeranian.My family knew an older couple who had two beautiful Pomeranians that were always in the house when we visted and were well-behaved.

I feel sorry for the Sheltie.

And I blame the widow and her daughter(s) for treating as dog as they would a fashion accessory or appliance.

maybe not entirely true,
but if this goes to city officials/court
my money is on the widow
unless
a jury of CN members

edj

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5535380 - 11/23/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

best solution thus far

so call her when I want to work on my motorcycle, call her when I'm in the garage grinding glass, call her when I'm biscuiting a rocker box or painting an alum tube in front of my garage, call her when I want to observe take a break go back out again, call her when I want to wash my car?

OMG!

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #5535387 - 11/23/12 12:23 PM

Perhaps you should get an MP3 player with your favorite music and some good headphones with *active* noise cancelling -- or you could just get the latter since that would be the most important part of the package...

Edited by ThreeD (11/23/12 12:25 PM)

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5535397 - 11/23/12 12:30 PM

Our neighbor's dog barks from the moment he is let outside until he is brought back in, regardless of whether there is anything to bark at. He barks just in case, I guess. Anyhow, someone (not me) put a copy of the city problem animal ordinance in their mailbox a few years ago, and that helped for a while. We finally called the city and complained. They were ticketed and the barking stopped. Tough love, I call it. It is fine if you want to spend time training somebody elses animal, but it is not your responsibility.

Edited by MawkHawk (11/23/12 01:07 PM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5535412 - 11/23/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

best solution thus far

so call her when I want to work on my motorcycle, call her when I'm in the garage grinding glass, call her when I'm biscuiting a rocker box or painting an alum tube in front of my garage, call her when I want to observe take a break go back out again, call her when I want to wash my car?

OMG!

Well, since this forum is about observing; that's why I made the suggestion. Other activities you do, really have no bearing on an astronomy thread.

Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
      #5535593 - 11/23/12 02:06 PM

I'm sorry for the barking dog.

Having 2 carin terriers and living in the city I HAVE to be conscious of my neighbors.

Any dog will bark if left to do so and my 2 guys would bark at everyone who walked by my deck if I let them. But as a responsible owners ( my wife and I ) we have made a concerted effort to control the barking. Whether it by training, dog collar, or just bring the dog inside.

If I am on my deck and my guys start to bark even once I am on it instantly. And if I can't get them to stop then they are whisked inside immediately. If you can't behave you can't join me on the deck. Simple as that.

Unfortunately having a neighbor who is older she is not going to train her dog, and it seems that her daughter is unwilling to do the same. That's irresponsible and wrong. Sorry if I sound a little heated but this stuff really burns me up.

Any neighbor who has something that affects others in a negative way should make the necessary modifications to make sure they aren't " disturbing" others. This is just common courtesy. Whether it be loud music, loud motorcycles, parties, or barking dogs. I consider my neighbors every time I do anything at home and I expect the same.

My feeling personally is if this dog is constantly barking then you, sorry to say, should have a talk with her and tell her it disturbs you and would ask her to keep it inside if it can't have good manners. If she gets flustered then I don't know what to say. I'm sure there are things which bother her and she needs to see it from your side. If not then I think you have no choice but to find out about the ordinances in your area and have a visit paid to her by the cops.

If you tried and failed I don't see much choice. I believe you are in the right here. There is no reason why the dog can't be inside most of the time. And the barking for protection is a bunch of hog wash. If a dog is barking all the time it becomes background noise, not an alert.

I wish you the best....and just on cue...I'm off to get my 2 dogs and bring them inside because they just started barking. I'm not going to be THAT guy...with the annoying dogs.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5535674 - 11/23/12 02:49 PM

"I know her and the little @$##$ thing quite well"

Part of the reason it barks more. Dogs can sense hatred, it's letting you know it doesn't understand you're hatred, it's why he's barking at you....He's actually trying to understand you; if you have ever really been around animals, you would understand him.....any dog or cat owner knows what I'm talking about.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5535731 - 11/23/12 03:27 PM

Quote:

Part of the reason it barks more. Dogs can sense hatred...

Maybe not hatred, but the dog might see you as a threat. Dogs bark at threats. They also bark for attention, they bark to play, and sometimes they just bark to say "hello." You have to read what kind of bark it is and what kind of body language the dog is showing.

You have to be the alpha dog, however I would NOT try to discipline the dog with ammonia, water, or anything else. That's your neighbor's job, but you can certainly help in a non-threatening way. If the dog regards you as a threat, you can easily make the situation worse. If you try to do it yourself, you might make a lifetime enemy instead of an obedient friend.

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5535754 - 11/23/12 03:39 PM

Let it yap...Maybe it will bother the other neighbors enough they'll complain and you won't have to.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5535791 - 11/23/12 04:00 PM

You could always get a pet alligator......

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
      #5535832 - 11/23/12 04:29 PM

When I moved here, I found one of my neighbors had a yappy and agressive mutt. The chain link fence between yards certainly didn't help, so I had a 6' privacy fence put up to block the mutt's view. It was worth every penny.

Javier
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: 15 Minutes west of the Manhatt...
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5535865 - 11/23/12 05:06 PM

Daniel, I know how you feel. My neighbors dog freaks out and barks when the leaves fall off the trees during the fall and it breaks my concentration. I like dogs but yappy barking dogs that bark for no reason drive me nuts.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5535899 - 11/23/12 05:21 PM

Been there and it is aggrevating. But that was a while ago. Something to consider is an iPod and decent MEE or Skullcandy earbuds. Put on whatever and be done. The numerous unofficial best earplugs are Maks silicone plugs. Nothing but nothing muffles a screaming cockatoo (worse than any dog) like these. The yap yap and arf arf of a dog is yearly minimized and often totally blocked.

Pete

Eigen

Reged: 07/26/12

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5535974 - 11/23/12 06:10 PM

While you are figuring out a solution to your predicament, I would suggest listening to music while you observe.

IEM or In Ear Monitor headphones, can block out all outside noise even at low music volume. This is how I usually observe. Unless I am alone in a dark site.

Mozart's Jupiter is a favorite for me this time of the year. I find classical music to be quite pleasing when stargazing, reminiscent of the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey, when Blue Danube plays.

This should tide you over until the situation can be resolved, perhaps you might even get used to it?

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
      #5536148 - 11/23/12 07:43 PM

As has been mentioned, give it treats. But I'll add to that-'alot' of good treats. Give it a big meaty bone to occupy him. And then some kibbles, then some steak....left over macaroni and cheese. He'll be too fat and sleepy to bark

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: wky46]
      #5536244 - 11/23/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

As has been mentioned, give it treats. But I'll add to that-'alot' of good treats. Give it a big meaty bone to occupy him. And then some kibbles, then some steak....left over macaroni and cheese. He'll be too fat and sleepy to bark

Good way to shorten his life. Not a good thing to do.

Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Southern California
      #5536246 - 11/23/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

You could always get a pet alligator......

No...get your own dog. A BIG dog.

<sigh>
Okay, I succumbed to the urge to be funny, and barely made it. Maybe. One of the risks and dangers you run on forums.
===
Unfortunately the OP says he is in an impossible situaion. The dog owner is too emotionally or mentally frail to even listen to his complaint. (Unless she's skilled and using her apparent frailty to manipulate people, maybe not even aware she's doing it). The OP reports that "telling" on her to the authorities would result in severe bad-blood with the other neighbors. I don't don't know if he has attempted to approach the woman in daylight, when the dog is not in the middle of a yapping episode.

In the city I used to live in, I had neigbors who would party loudly a couple of times a month till 2 AM. I eventually called the police one night. The police got them to be quiet, although it took three visits.

The police told me the city had a non-police noise abatement office. He said they were pretty effective in preventing problems. In this case he said they would probably go to the landlord, and inform the landlord that he or she would be fined if the police came out again and found a problem. He said that the result was that landlords often evicted the noise makers.

So, here's an idea. Call the police, or city hall, and ask them if your city has a government agency other than the police that may help, maybe an ombudsman or your city may have a noise abatement office. The idea is to keep the police out of it, so you won't be the 'heavy' who called the police. Explain your situation: you have one problem with the neighbor you want fixed, but you don't want to call the police on her, and explain the reasons why you don't want to call the police on her. The worst that could happen is the city tells you, sorry, all we have for this is the police.

LGM

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5536409 - 11/23/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

No...get your own dog. A BIG dog.

<sigh>
Okay, I succumbed to the urge to be funny, and barely made it. Maybe. One of the risks and dangers you run on forums.

It made me smile.

I wish my house was big enough for a big dog, but it is so small I don't even want a little mut, well okay something ugly that passes gas a lot.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5536472 - 11/23/12 11:48 PM

One possibility might be a privacy fence along that property line, if she / he cant see you ,he / she might loose interest in you. In the video you can see the dog running up and down the fence trying to keep you in line of sight.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
      #5536769 - 11/24/12 08:12 AM

I've been putting up with the dog across the back fence barking for 18 months. They bark constantly when I'm in the back yard. Actually there are two of the little things. I really like dogs. I tried to make friends. I gave them dog biscuits. They kept barking. I tried telling them to be quiet. No go. The last two weeks I have kept a garden hose attached to a spray nozzle and left the water on at the faucet. They bark, they get sprayed. If this fails, I'm calling the city to get them involved.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5536915 - 11/24/12 09:43 AM

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little mute button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5536941 - 11/24/12 10:01 AM

Have you tried wearing noise-cancelling headphones, possibly together with playing some observing-compatible music from e.g. an IPod? It might kill two birds with one stone in that: a) you'll be deaf as a post to the dogs; b) you other neighbors won't, and sooner or later those dogs continuously barking for 2,3, or even 4 hours during your observing sessions will induce one or more of them to complain to police about the dogs (and i.e. absolving you of being the one to call authorities against your neighbor).

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5536960 - 11/24/12 10:12 AM

Quote:

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little mute button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

Hey that would be good for someone else...

me "Honey, I going out."

her "you said YOU WOULD SPEND TIME WITH ME!!!"

me "Huh, what, did you say something? My battery must be dead."

evil16v

Reged: 08/18/12

Loc: N.E. Kansas
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5537000 - 11/24/12 10:44 AM

Here its comes --- idea/comment number 45,573 .... LOL!!

I understand not wanting to pester the poor old lady (especially with what she is going through).

I think any mischief/action against the dog will make the problem worse in several different ways, and is just wrong anyway.

I think small dogs are a real pain in the butt. I had a Chocolate lab that was pretty high strung in his early years, but was GREAT about not barking unless there was something going on that i needed to know about(or wanted to be with me). When he barked... I came and found out why.

I have a neighbor that has too many dogs and it really annoys me when i am out back tending to my smoker(i can't really observe in my backyard). I have other neighbors that have dealt with them, and kind of taken care of the problem for the most part. So they wore the black hat for me.

A solution for your particular situation? If you make your yard accessible to the pup, does that let him out (i.e. is your yard fenced in too?) If not, Just make an observing buddy out of the dog. I bet she wouldn't mind if you asked her nicely. Maybe not exactly what you want to do/should have have to do... but maybe the most peaceful/happy way to go about it. I think the dog would be quite at that point.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

#5537037 - 11/24/12 11:01 AM

Actually,it might be prudent to have the dog owner's permission before offering and food or treats. Being sued for making Cassie ill or dead ,even if the treat had nothing to do with the problem,would really ruin your day!

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5537071 - 11/24/12 11:19 AM

Quote:

Actually,it might be prudent to have the dog owner's permission before offering and food or treats. Being sued for making Cassie ill or dead ,even if the treat had nothing to do with the problem,would really ruin your day!

They could have health problems that others are not aware of.

Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: droid]
      #5537149 - 11/24/12 12:08 PM

Quote:

One possibility might be a privacy fence along that property line, if she / he cant see you ,he / she might loose interest in you. In the video you can see the dog running up and down the fence trying to keep you in line of sight.

That is a great idea! Is there some way you could afford some sort of privacy fence? Or will just the noise of you being our there start the barking? Judging from the size of the dog the fence does not have to be too high. But if you are going to do it. Might as well make it high enough so it can see you from across the yard.

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5537176 - 11/24/12 12:26 PM

I have never noticed privacy fences having any effect on barking dogs. They can hear and smell and get a glimpse...that is plenty for them to bark at.

MawkHawk
sage

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5537330 - 11/24/12 02:39 PM

I would never pay hundreds of dollars to build a fence to shut up a dog belonging to someone else. It is the neighbor's responsibility to either keep the dog quiet or keep it indoors. If they don't then that's when you call the police. I've had to deal with barking dogs a few times in my life and each time it only ended when the police took care of it. People who allow their dogs to bark and disturb the entire neighborhood generally don't care what you think about it.

FWIW tho, that guy initially looked like he was happy to see you. I've noticed that dogs make that little whining noise when they want to see you. He prolly gets no attention from his owner...

Edited by MawkHawk (11/24/12 02:45 PM)

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

#5537334 - 11/24/12 02:42 PM

Quote:

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little muIte button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

Twenty bucks says I am deafer!! I too would tune out that dog.

Brad

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5537388 - 11/24/12 03:27 PM

Go to her door and talk to her. Ask her to keep the dog in if it won't be quiet. If hat doesn't work, call the proper authorities. You have rights. Just because someone has a dog that doesn't mean they can let the dog bark all the time or *BLEEP* in everybody's yard. What is up with all these crazy answers? Go talk to her... if that doesn't solve the problem. Take more action. You DO NOT have to put up with that.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: bremms]
      #5537413 - 11/24/12 03:43 PM

True, put the problem where it lies, with the owner of the dog. YOU and your telescope are not the problem; her letting her dog bark incessently is....Also, I don't blame the dog; he will only do what he was taught/allowed to do...

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: bremms]
      #5537418 - 11/24/12 03:44 PM

That garbage can next to the lil yapper looks very convenient.

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5537475 - 11/24/12 04:19 PM

Quote:

And what would you do with that can- that could be described within the bounds of CN's Terms of Service?

Hey folks, doing anything to a neighbor's pet or property is inviting trouble. While it might be inconvenient, I think working with the neighbor is the best way of dealing with the problem. Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) has some good books and videos for training a dog.

5u4

Reged: 04/27/06

Loc: FL
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: tecmage]
      #5537546 - 11/24/12 05:07 PM

I've had my share of neighbor's barking dogs, porch lights that stay on all night, kids traipsing through my yard, etc. to the point that my house was no longer a home. I wouldn't call the police, all that does is now you're on record as a complainer & they will use that against you. The last thing I'd do is waste all your spare time thinking of ways to kiss the neighbors behind & expect results, never worked for me anyway. Do what I did, save some money & look for a place in the country as far away from neighbors as you can afford.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: 5u4]
      #5537560 - 11/24/12 05:15 PM

There's some true wisdom there 5u4.

Only problem is then they try to tell you you're too old to be living out there alone like that....little knowing it's really a very peaceful life.

5u4

Reged: 04/27/06

Loc: FL
      #5537612 - 11/24/12 06:00 PM

Much more peaceful in the country. Still have barking dogs, but they're far enough away that it doesn't matter & kids running around on 4 wheeler's, but at least they're not right next door & there's a black bear that growls all the time, never seen him, but he's there. Yeah, been there done that with barking dogs, porch lights & unruly kids. I have a fix for the barking dog, but not going to go there on this forum. Porch lights on all night, well good luck to you & unruly kids, what happens is they pay you back.

orion61

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: caheaton]
      #5537747 - 11/24/12 07:40 PM

The reason dogs keep barking is because of the protective nature but as the Post Man comes they start barking, the Postman goes to the next house, so the dog thinks it has won! bad person has been chased away! Reinforces the barking.
But Sometimes old people can be well, just plain MEAN!
I had a dog issue when I worked Nights, my neighbor would put out the dog before going to work and leave it.
It barked all! day! long!
A note in the mailbox stating I'd rather let her deal with the issue than the Police, took care of the matter.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5537904 - 11/24/12 09:49 PM

Quote:

FWIW tho, that guy initially looked like he was happy to see you. I've noticed that dogs make that little whining noise when they want to see you. He prolly gets no attention from his owner...

yep. and yep.

he wants to hang with the guys, but his mom won't let him.

Too bad Cassie, now stop annoying me! go annoy your mom!

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: 5u4]
      #5538097 - 11/25/12 12:22 AM

Quote:

Much more peaceful in the country.

Absolutely!
I will add though that it isn't necessary to move to the country to observe under rural sky. Time spent finding nearby, quiet, open, anything darker(simply without blazing security lighting mere feet away) is some of the best time investment there is. Neighbors dogs are just a part of the total load of intrusive garbage that compelled me to observe elsewhere. It is one of the best astro decisions I made. For me. Solved a ton of frustrations, and greatly increased what I see.

For the original poster, the privacy fence option sounded like winner to me. Until folks mentioned that it may not help. If you say, open a gate between the yards so the dog can be with you observing, then you will get to clean up after the dog...

planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5538305 - 11/25/12 06:01 AM

This whole doggy problem resulted because you never marked your territory at the fence line on a routine basis.
Sam

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: tecmage]
      #5538318 - 11/25/12 07:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And what would you do with that can- that could be described within the bounds of CN's Terms of Service?

Obviously picking up trash around the yard comes to mind.

MawkHawk
sage

#5538446 - 11/25/12 09:49 AM

I've called the police before about a neighbor's dog and asked to remain anonymous. They obliged me and ticketed the neighbor. They won't rat you out if you ask them not to.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

#5538573 - 11/25/12 11:37 AM

Quote:

"I know her and the little @$##$ thing quite well"

Part of the reason it barks more. Dogs can sense hatred, it's letting you know it doesn't understand you're hatred, it's why he's barking at you....He's actually trying to understand you; if you have ever really been around animals, you would understand him.....any dog or cat owner knows what I'm talking about.

Hogwash. Some dogs bark more than others. It has nothing to do with the dog sensing "hatred". Did you even watch the video Pinbout did? he's petting the dog I go to my better half's in laws for dinners and they always have relatives who bring this little black poodle along. It constantly yaps all of the time even when anybody pets it, including myself. The other dogs that are there do not yap like it does, so this also proves you are incorrect. Some dogs bark more than others.

Quote:

This would do nothing, LOL! Animals have really good hearing and can sense things in their surroundings....and in a wider sense than humans have. The dog would hear him even if the fence was completely solid and the dog couldn't see him.

I agree with Pinbout, I love "some" animals, (The non-aggressive type), but this would drive me crazy. I would take action right away, (harmless action of course), to stop this because by law, people are entitled to peace on their own property, even if it means a noise by-law of some sort. I'm not a lawyer or have experience on this type of noise by-law, so I won't even start making suggestions.

Google it and see what you come up with, or call the police and ask what can be done.

Cheers,

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

#5538678 - 11/25/12 12:41 PM

As I stated before,the dog OWNER is entirely the problem;she is treating the dog like an animate burglar alarm NOT as a living social animal that needs love and attention.The widow has the wrong dog for the wrong reasons;and probably shouldn't have any dog at all. If one hasn't had dogs or cats for most of one's life it probably means one has no idea how to deal with a pet at age 80.

DON'T build a fence or other useless gestures.As other posters advise ,talk to the widow and maybe her daughters, and make it clear that you wish to remain a friendly neighbor but that you expect to go about your hobby in your yard at your convenience ,and you will call the authorites if the dog owner can't stop the annoyance.

Don't worry about being put on a complainer list;if no one complained the inconsiderate would get away with their bad behavior all the time.I had a neighbor in town who decided he was going to remove all the trees and shrubs on our mutual property line -actually in our yard!I told him no way and insisted on having the line surveyed,then caught him trying to move the stake.On being informed he could go to jail for tampering with survey markers he desisted.Then he put up obnoxiously bright floodlights .Thankfully he moved within a year after becoming known to all around as a bad neighbor.(Loud domestic arguments included).Push back against those who invade.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5538704 - 11/25/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

... or call the police and ask what can be done.

Better yet contact the local township office and see what the noise ordinances are. Get a copy. In my case, 2 separate responding officers where not knowledgeable about local ordinances AND actually gave me wrong information. Later, with a copy of the ordinaces in hand that I provided, the ordinance was enforced.

Al

BarbMoore
sage

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5538743 - 11/25/12 01:38 PM

Spraying the dog with water or any substance will only get you in trouble with the law.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BarbMoore]
      #5538850 - 11/25/12 02:29 PM

Water? Water won't harm the dog as long as the spraying device is not powerful as to harm it. That actually might make the dog more aggressive if you do that though,

Or, it might like the water and want to play !!! LOL !

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5539016 - 11/25/12 04:02 PM

Like I said earlier--PUT THE PROBLEM WHERE IT LIES, with the owner of the dog...the barking dog is hers to correct; or if she doesn't, the city/county's to remove. Barking is a nuisance, but the dog has to be taught not to bark, if the owner isn't up to it, they shouldn't have a dog...maybe recommend a cat.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
      #5539048 - 11/25/12 04:26 PM

Quote:

My cousin had two of them, and all they ever did was bark, and yap! They're high strung little goobers, my condolences.

My sister has 4 of them I guess she is a brute for punishment. All it take is for 1 to bark and the rest chime in.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5542017 - 11/27/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

It looks to be a Shelty. My cousin had two of them, and all they ever did was bark, and yap! They're high strung little goobers, my condolences.

My brother used to have a Sheltie; her name was Lady, and gad! She was the most hyper dog I'd ever known! I don't think she ever slept; preferring to run around the yard at top speed, and above all, she barked! And she barked, and she barked, and she barked and barked and barked and barked, and then she would proceed to bark some more. My brother tried every possible remedy to shut that dog up, none of which worked, and he finally had to take her to the vet to be "debarked," after which Lady always sounded like she was choking on something.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: tomcody]
      #5542033 - 11/27/12 12:33 PM

Quote:

The dog needs to work off some energy everyday and an 80yr old owner probably can,t walk it. Ask the owner if you can walk the dog when you are able, you will be doing both of them a favor and geting some exercise for you too. After a good walk the dog should settle down.
Rex

Shelties are very high-strung, high-energy dogs; they were originally bred for herding sheep and the like, so it's in their nature to be very active and bark a lot. That lady's daughters obviously didn't do their homework; a mellower dog, perhaps even a carefully-chosen mutt from the pound, would've been far better and easier for an 80-year-old woman to take care of.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5542050 - 11/27/12 12:43 PM

Then throw a rabbit over the fence and watch.....(God knows there's no shortage of rabbits in Denver).....

Meadeball
sage

#5542183 - 11/27/12 01:51 PM

Or a large, venemous snake ...

JUST KIDDING!

Edited by Meadeball (11/27/12 01:52 PM)

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5542277 - 11/27/12 02:52 PM

Quote:

Then throw a rabbit over the fence and watch.....(

We get deer, haven't seen him case them.

but here's the update.

this so cute dog must be bothering my heighbor so much that when he's out there carrying on, she'll come and make him go in but 10min's later he's back out carrying on. Like she can't take his carrying on inside.

I think since she's not active enough for the dog, he's developing neurotic behaivors and it is getting worse.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5542312 - 11/27/12 03:12 PM

I've read this whole thread, and I feel lucky.
I have a pug that has a Sioux name, "Barks at TV". Before I got the pug, I had NO idea how many animals appeared in ads and TV shows. NOW I know. I've learned to mute the TV during all ads--especially for pet food. She barked through the entirety of "We Bought A Zoo".
But during the night the only sound ever coming from this dog is snoring--loud and intense, with a little whimper at the end of each snore. It kept me awake for a couple months; now I just sleep through it.
And if I'm outside observing, I can look in through the window and see the dog in its bed, fast asleep. This dog gets two long walks every day, so it sacks out early in the evening, dead tired.
Dogs are like humans--they sleep very soundly if they get a lot of exercise. Sounds like this dog doesn't get any exercise.
It's the reason why older people should have cats, not dogs: they don't need to be walked, sleep 20+ hours per day, and DEFINITELY don't bark.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5542313 - 11/27/12 03:12 PM

Basicly; if you don't want to check with the authorities on whether there is a noise ordinance, & have them contact her; not much left to suggest.

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #5542320 - 11/27/12 03:17 PM

Google for "sheltie bark"...

The first hit is a You-tube video of a sheltie going crazy simultaneously running, spinning, barking.

Bingo!! The second search result. You might want to show this to your neighbor and ask she minds if you become a "calm-assertive alpha figure".

Edited by ThreeD (11/27/12 03:20 PM)

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5543569 - 11/28/12 10:29 AM

Put your neighbor out on a leash at the same time.

Meadeball
sage

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: star drop]
      #5544055 - 11/28/12 03:14 PM

You could always do what Jim Carrey does in "Me, Myself and Irene" in response to his neighbor constantly stealing his morning newspaper so she can read it while sitting on the toilet in the morning. I will not expound upon it here; you must watch the movie.

orion61

#5544569 - 11/28/12 09:17 PM

Get your own dog to keep hers busy!

Edited by csa/montana (11/28/12 10:27 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5545087 - 11/29/12 08:28 AM

and name it Cujo....

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5545127 - 11/29/12 09:02 AM

I have the same issue with my neighbor's dog. The stupid thing sits in the yard all day and just barks to hear itself bark--constantly. Oh, the dog is friendly enough. If I go into the back yard, it will stand at the fence and bark at me as if it wants to tear my head off. But when I go to the fence to pet it, it climbs up and wants to get all lovey and have its ears scratched. But as soon as you walk away, the barking immediately starts again. I finally got the neighbors to take it in at night. I told them that if they didn't do something, I was going to be doing a lot more late night woodworking.

I'm looking forward to a move to the country in the next year or so.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5545683 - 11/29/12 03:05 PM

The dogs are starved for attention and affection.Dogs are social animals and a dog by itself is very lonely .

Chances are the barking dog really is saying "wanna play,wanna play!"

Since the owners don't give the dogs attention the dogs bark.

Roll up a newspaper and go whack the......OWNERS until they behave better!

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
      #5545813 - 11/29/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

The dogs are starved for attention and affection.Dogs are social animals and a dog by itself is very lonely .

Folks, let's not forget that the owner of the dog in question here is an elderly woman in her 80's who recently lost her husband and whose daughter got her the dog for companionship. Personally, I'd say the poor woman has enough problems - this dog may be a major factor in keeping her happy and comforted.

The dog may be annoying to the OP but it also may be a lifeline to the new widow. A little compassion here could go a long way.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5545840 - 11/29/12 04:54 PM

Quote:

The dog may be annoying to the OP but it also may be a lifeline to the new widow. A little compassion here could go a long way.

Where's the "Like" button?

jturie

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
      #5545871 - 11/29/12 05:18 PM

Out of curiosity, does the dog bark its fool head off whenever it is outside, even when you are not out observing? If not, the dog is just reacting to a potential threat (probably a genetic thing, like it thinks you're a wolf or something).

In any event, a dog like that should be put outside to do its business and nothing more. Just leaving it outside because it's driving the owner nuts is wrong. Tough situation. The daughter should be buried up to her neck in an anthill for convincing an 80-year old to take on the stressful responsibility of a new dog.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: jturie]
      #5546243 - 11/29/12 09:03 PM

Just a slightly different thought -- how about on a clear weekend night when the daughter is visiting, set up your scope and go over and knock on the door and invite them out to see the moon, Jupiter and a few other things? If the dog is yapping away at the time mention "oh yes that dog always helps me find things by barking." Might be a gentle way to deliver the message and also earn their goodwill.

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5546350 - 11/29/12 10:08 PM

Well thank the lord on high for showing compassion to me, cassie was inside last night while I was observing jupiter so close to the moon.

It was sOOooo nice to see both jupiter and the moon in the same eyepiece - in peace and quiet.

DarkDisplay
sage

#5546454 - 11/29/12 11:33 PM

Good for you. Now, do whatever it takes to enjoy observing all the time in peace and quiet.

I've trained many a neighborhood dog to stop barking when the owners were too lazy or unconcerned to do it.

Best wishes,
Frank

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

#5546729 - 11/30/12 07:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Folks, let's not forget that the owner of the dog in question here is an elderly woman in her 80's who recently lost her husband and whose daughter got her the dog for companionship. Personally, I'd say the poor woman has enough problems - this dog may be a major factor in keeping her happy and comforted.

The newspaper comment was meant to be a little humor.Sorry if no one here has any.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5546832 - 11/30/12 09:10 AM

"The dog may be annoying to the OP but it also may be a lifeline to the new widow."\

...and it might be outside because it drives her nuts inside....she might just hate the barking bugger too....I'd suggest to the daughter that she take the dog, have the dog trained not to bark, or that you will call the authorities. Put the problem back where it lies.....

Also, I'd talk to the lady next door, you might find out she doesn't want the dog either....THEN I'd definitely talk with the daughter.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5546909 - 11/30/12 10:17 AM

It also could be that the dog WANTS to go outside, so the lady complies. I've had dogs all my life, and they love being outside, and will bug me until I let them out. I have a yellow lab now, and she absolutely loves being out, when the weather is nice.
I'm in about the same situation as the lady in question, older, widowed; and yes, my dog is my lifeline, in fact; my whole life!

Quote:

Also, I'd talk to the lady next door, you might find out she doesn't want the dog either....THEN I'd definitely talk with the daughter.

This is getting very intrusive; if she doesn't "want" the dog, that's between her & the daughter, not neighbors.

It would be nice to suggest to the daughter about training for the dog, to help with the barking, other than that, it's really not a neighbor's place to discuss personal feelings the lady may/may not have about the dog. My feeling is that she no doubt absolutely loves it, and it gives her much needed company and security.

I have the opposite problem, when I go to observe, my sweetie howls! I have to close all the blinds and leave the tv on, so she doesn't howl the entire time!

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5546957 - 11/30/12 10:41 AM

Sorry Carol, if your barking dog is interfering with the peace of the neighborhood, including yours, it IS your business. I'm certain my neighbor would rather me be the first to bring up the suject of their barking dog then the police at their front door....

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5546968 - 11/30/12 10:52 AM

I didn't say the barking dog was not the neighbor's business; rather talking to her as to whether she "wants" the dog or not, is not anyone else's business but hers and her daughter's.

Obviously, the OP has talked with her, to no avail (according to him); so other than talking with the daughter about training, then involving the authorities is the only alternative to get peace for the neighbors. Another consideration is that she may have a hearing problem, unless the OP is very explicite with her, as to how much the barking is disturbing him, she may not fully realize how much of a problem it really is. Regardless, age is not a factor when involving a disturbance of the peace, when discussion has not ended the problem.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
      #5547225 - 11/30/12 01:27 PM

I live in a large lot subdivison, 5-7 acres each. Only problem I have, besides with my wife's 3 shelties, is when I close up my observatory roof at 3-4 am. Although it is not loud, it does set off many of the neighbors dogs, but at least it may scare the skunks off.

We had new people move in across from us a couple years ago with large barking dogs. They have an electric invisible fence but it was still unnerving when they would charge each time I got my mail. I always talked to them, whistled, or something, and after a few months they just started to ignore me completely. Now I try and annoy them for the fun of it

Edited by DeanS (11/30/12 01:58 PM)

MawkHawk
sage

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: DeanS]
      #5547430 - 11/30/12 03:47 PM

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who had 3 big mutt dogs that loved to bark at night. My dad "trained" those dogs to keep quiet. After some training, they'd hear our back door handle turn and run away and give us some hours of quiet.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

#5547526 - 11/30/12 04:58 PM

Good going Danny!

DarkDisplay
sage

#5547575 - 11/30/12 05:42 PM

I can identify with that. Years ago, I owned a big Doberman. He had a bad habit of barking long and loud at night. Being nice to him did not work. So, I applied a little discipline. All I had to do after that was to turn on the outside light and he'd stop barking.

Best wishes,
Frank

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

#5547592 - 11/30/12 05:59 PM

Carol is 100% right - why she has the dog, how she feels about it, what the daughter thinks about it - all of that is none of the neighbor's d*** business.

If the neighbor is bothered by the dog's barking, that's quite another matter.

Consider though, that the OP is outside, moving about, in the dark. Frankly, I wouldn't expect the dog NOT to bark under these conditions. To him, the OP might be a prowler. Certainly, the OP can expect resolution but IMO, a little care and understanding will go a long way here. Becoming confrontative won't serve well here - the prevailing sympathies are likely to be with the elderly widow. And I'd expect that the police would cut her a considerable amount of slack in this matter. Despite the support the OP has gotten here, society in general is likely to side with the Woman rather than the OP .

This is certainly a case where you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5547608 - 11/30/12 06:12 PM

Quote:

why she has the dog, how she feels about it, what the daughter thinks about it - all of that is none of the neighbor's d*** business.

your right, it's not my business.

Quote:

that the OP is outside, moving about, in the dark. Frankly, I wouldn't expect the dog NOT to bark under these conditions. To him, the OP might be a prowler.

No the dog knows me all to well. I think he's lonely. He wants to play with the guys. He's not allowed.

Quote:

Becoming confrontative won't serve well here

Your right.

Quote:

This is certainly a case where you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Please, that is so over used, I always been nice to her.

orion61

#5547625 - 11/30/12 06:20 PM

Quote:

Should he rub her nose in it when she pees on the floor too?

orion61

#5547632 - 11/30/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who had 3 big mutt dogs that loved to bark at night. My dad "trained" those dogs to keep quiet. After some training, they'd hear our back door handle turn and run away and give us some hours of quiet.

I nearly hate to ask but how did he train them????

MawkHawk
sage

#5547777 - 11/30/12 07:48 PM

PM sent...

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

#5547792 - 11/30/12 08:03 PM

Danny ,

I'm not saying you haven't been nice to her. I can remember many years ago when I had no clue what it was like to be "old" and didn't care.

Getting old, however, changes one's perspective. It's not possible for you to understand the world in which she lives, a world in which her closest friend is the dog that torments you. I live alone with a small dog. I can emphasize with your neighbor.

I hope that, when you reach the stage in life that your neighbor finds herself in, you are blessed with understanding and caring neighbors. Perhaps there's more to this karma thing than we realize.

BarbMoore
sage

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5549734 - 12/02/12 02:03 AM

It doesn't matter if water harms a dog or not, spraying someone else's pet with any substance is illegal.

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

#5549843 - 12/02/12 06:34 AM

Quote:

It doesn't matter if water harms a dog or not, spraying someone else's pet with any substance is illegal.

Flee spray?

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5550249 - 12/02/12 12:18 PM

"It doesn't matter if water harms a dog or not, spraying someone else's pet with any substance is illegal."

Tell a skunk that........

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5550365 - 12/02/12 01:39 PM

Ala Homer Simpson I renamed the neighbors dog....called it "Barky".

Thankfully they couldn't stand the noise either and Barky was gone after a year.

That's when the other neighbor decided to install pole mounted security lighting.

I'd take Barky over that infernal light anytime.

But that's how life works...for me, anyway.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: herrointment]
      #5551149 - 12/02/12 10:01 PM

You are right that is a poor trade off.

BarbMoore
sage

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: herrointment]
      #5551216 - 12/02/12 10:51 PM

Sorry I don't have much humor or tolerance for anyone threatening or attacking a pet in it's own yard for doing what comes naturally. Your beef is with the owner and that's where your attacks should stay and not with the dog.

DarkDisplay
sage

#5551258 - 12/02/12 11:15 PM

I am at work before the sun comes up every morning. Missing sleep because of a barking dog is not part of the plan. Never will be.

The owner has 3 choices.
1. Shut the dog up.
2. The police do it.
3. I do it.

These things ARE part of the plan.

Best wishes,
Frank

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: DarkDisplay]
      #5551677 - 12/03/12 08:55 AM

Boiled down; you're right. Put the onus of the problem on the owner (regardless of age). If the owner is infirm or incapable of training the dog; talk to the daughter, who got her the dog, and let her know the situation. They should have a chance to correct it; if they don't, then go to #2; enough of #2, and you will have justification for calling animal control for #3 (don't do anything to the dog, he/she is not to blame).

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5552600 - 12/03/12 06:57 PM

well just yesterday, while I'm working on some telescopes outside my garage, here comes cassie barking his headoff. Ms. Jackie, the owner/neighbor, comes out so I asked if I could play with cassie. it wasn't the first time, although its been awhile since I played with that cute pita.

I tried playing catch but cassie was only into it for two times. but then I thought, your a hearder, so I started playing tag with cassie. cassie was having so much fun while I'm having a heart attack running all over the yard playing tag.

so after I recovered from a massive myocardial malfunction, and said by to cassie, he still went on to bark his head off while Ms. Jackie made him go back inside.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5552901 - 12/03/12 09:39 PM

Quote:

well just yesterday, while I'm working on some telescopes outside my garage, here comes cassie barking his headoff. Ms. Jackie, the owner/neighbor, comes out so I asked if I could play with cassie. it wasn't the first time, although its been awhile since I played with that cute pita.

I tried playing catch but cassie was only into it for two times. but then I thought, your a hearder, so I started playing tag with cassie. cassie was having so much fun while I'm having a heart attack running all over the yard playing tag.

so after I recovered from a massive myocardial malfunction, and said by to cassie, he still went on to bark his head off while Ms. Jackie made him go back inside.

What kind of inbreed is Cassie?

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#5552990 - 12/03/12 10:25 PM

Quote:

What kind of inbreed is Cassie?

Picture at the top of the thread looks like a Sheltie.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5553034 - 12/03/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

he still went on to bark his head off while Ms. Jackie made him go back inside.

This would be an excellent opportunity to tell her that you appreciate her taking the dog in, when barking; especially when you are observing at night, which is what you are trying to accomplish.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #5553655 - 12/04/12 09:53 AM

Beyond talking to the woman or her daughter, there is nothing tou can do about daytime barking. At night, well this is something else, there are noise ordinances and the police can and will take care of the problem for you if you notify them of the problem. The police will take care of the problem in a polite but mater of fact and professional, this is the law, kind of way. Never take the matter in your own hands with the dog. First it is not the dogs fault and second there are laws that will get you in big trouble if you do anything to the dog.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: blb]
      #5553681 - 12/04/12 10:14 AM

Don't fall for it man; the dog's trying to take you out.......

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5553858 - 12/04/12 12:07 PM

This is indeed one of the most annoying yapping dogs many of us have ever encountered; it's not just the OP's nights he's ruining, but for weeks now he's also managed to annoy CN members thousands of miles away from his bark, er back yard. Even the most high-strung yappy toy poodle ever doesn't manage that feat.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5553940 - 12/04/12 12:57 PM

In some countries, dog is a delicacy.....

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5554081 - 12/04/12 02:20 PM

Ok folks, I think this thread has run it's course. The OP has many suggestions he can follow thru with, if he desires.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5914

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics