Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5541957 - 11/27/12 11:52 AM

Now that I have a new barlow on the way, I can just barlow up my 7mm XW to get me 220x, 311x and 336x ! or if I want, I can barlow my 10mm XW for mags of 215x and 235x !!! So now it is GOODBYE to my 5.2m Pentax XL for a 21mm XL instead !!!

Eyepiece musical chairs !!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5542069 - 11/27/12 12:52 PM

Have you given up on the XW 20?

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5542147 - 11/27/12 01:35 PM

Yup. I feel that the 21mm XL should do just as good, plus all I have to do is trade mine up for it.

Cheers,

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/21/12

#5542367 - 11/27/12 03:48 PM

Some offbeat choices:
Nagler 7mm Type 1. Razor sharp just like VT ortho but wider field, longer eye relief. Can be barlowed 1.8x.

Generic 9mm Or. Also razor sharp and white tone.

astrodon
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: saemark30]
      #5543127 - 11/28/12 12:29 AM

Short scopes: 6mm AP SPL / 6mm Brandon / 6mm UO checkered plossl (this is a real sleeper and approaches the brandon!)
Great for the Moon!
Medium scopes: 7mm TMB Supermono, 8mm Brandon, 8mm TV plossl
Nice on Jupiter!
Long scopes: 7mm Meade RG Erfle (isn't it actually a konig?), 9mm Supermono, 12.4mm Meade RG WA, 12mm Brandon
Killer for Saturn and Mars!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Skywise2]
      #5543475 - 11/28/12 09:38 AM

I find no compelling difference between any given good quality eyepeices.

These days, the best eyepices for me for planetary viewing are the ones my Binoview that match seeing conditions.

If it were me and I had another Televue 101, I would use the Televue Nagler zoom with it for planets.

But for planetary, I would use the 10" with a binoviewer and some decent plossls giving the highest magnifications for your seeing conditions.

For my C14, I have been using some Hyperions in 24mm, 13mm, and 17mm, some 19mm Flat Field Orions, some 15mm Vixen NPLs, and some AT 20mm Plossls.

I just pick the pair that gives the best view, and that depends on seeing.

My seeing conditions generally support up to about 250x, but 340x sometimes if I stay out late enough for seeing to settle.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5543667 - 11/28/12 11:17 AM

Eddgie,

I fully agree on the binoviewing thing. I tried one last year and it was the BEST for planetary. With two eyes everything just looks bigger and your view is 100% relaxed. I remember from last year as though it was just yesterday. I used a WO binoviewer in my Orion 127mm Mak that I had, and the views of Saturn were stunning! Plus, I had tracking on my mount which made viewing a real treat.

If I were considering becoming an avid planetary observer, and nothing more, I would definitely choose binoviewing for sure!!! I still might pick another one up for my 10" reflector as well!

Cheers,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5543741 - 11/28/12 12:11 PM

Mark,

Quote:

If I were considering becoming an avid planetary observer, and nothing more, I would definitely choose binoviewing for sure!!! I still might pick another one up for my 10" reflector as well!

The 10" Dob and binoviewers are my top pick among my scope setups for serious planet work.

Mike

denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
      #5543744 - 11/28/12 12:14 PM

I agree, for planetary details binoviewers RULES!

I am waiting for my ES 6,7mm in pair....

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: denis0007dl]
      #5543755 - 11/28/12 12:21 PM

I have a pair of Meade 5k UWA 6.7 - clones of the ES 6.7 - deshrouded, down-sized and ready for binoviewing!

Mike

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5543850 - 11/28/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

I have a pair of Meade 5k UWA 6.7 - clones of the ES 6.7 - deshrouded, down-sized and ready for binoviewing!

Mike

Now yer talkin' ! That would be perfect! Less nudging too! I'm not finished with binoviewing by any means! I'll be picking one up when I can for sure! The drawing you made, (your avatar), is 100% proof that binoviewing is excellent on planets Mike!

Cheers,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5543939 - 11/28/12 01:54 PM

That avatar is my proof of concept for binoviewing planets. The proof is in the pudding. The topping on the pudding is the fact I was binoviewing Jupiter with a lowly pair of Orion ED-2 22's when I made the sketch!

Mike

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5543975 - 11/28/12 02:20 PM

This has been my message for the last six months. Any pair of even decent quality eyepieces used in a binoviewer would be preferable to me than an expenisve "Planetary" eyepeice.

I just don't find the difference between good qauality eyepeices to be all that, but I increasinly find that I am getting better planetary views even with a relativly inexpensive binoviewer and even some fairly inexpensive plossls.

But to the OPs question, again, my own feelings are that for a 10" scope, a nice selection of decent plossls to match magnification with seeing conditions are all you need.

It is better to have some small steps between maybe 180x and 250x to get the best tuneing.

And a good choice might be the Baader Zoom for this in the 10" scope. That would make dialing in the right magnification very easy.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Skywise2]
      #5544046 - 11/28/12 03:08 PM

Bino viewers don't do it for me because I have one good eye and one not so much. My favorites for planetary detail are my Ethos, Delos, T6s, XWs, LVW and WO UWAN. I just got a Kasai HC ortho but haven't been able to try it yet. David

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5544209 - 11/28/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

This has been my message for the last six months. Any pair of even decent quality eyepieces used in a binoviewer would be preferable to me than an expenisve "Planetary" eyepeice.

I agree also on this. However, I still prefer the single eyepiece solution because it is less complicated. So I gave up the binos and instead prefer the expensive planetary

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: BillP]
      #5544392 - 11/28/12 06:55 PM

Quote:

I still prefer the single eyepiece solution because it is less complicated. So I gave up the binos and instead prefer the expensive planetary

However expensive the eyepiece, I see more with a binoviewer and dirt-cheap kellners and orthos, so I prefer the slightly more complicated solution, since it ultimately delivers more detail to my eyes. And it is probably less expensive in the long run, since I have stopped lusting for a large set of expensive planetary eyepieces in many different focal lengths.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen (11/28/12 06:57 PM)

Mike Hosea
Postmaster

Reged: 09/24/03

Loc: "Metrowest" Boston
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5544946 - 11/29/12 03:21 AM

I've thought about going back to binoviewing many times. I had a binoviewer years ago that I used with an SCT for planetary viewing. Now, however, it's a big project. A brute-force-and-ignorance approach with my lightweight Dob-Newt would be difficult to balance and might result in some flexure of the struts. Instead, I need to cut down the struts. I also need a new focuser, since the Kineoptics helical won't cut it for binoviewing. After I get done planning that work and and shopping for the binoviewer and eyepieces, I am exhausted and wondering whether it will be worth it. So I never end up doing it. I use a 5XO, generally, though not because it is supposed to be among the best, just because I like it. When I am not in the mood for the tight eye relief, I use my first-gen, deshrouded, baffled 6.7mm ES82, sometimes with a Barlow. I can't recommend it, really, but it works for me.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5545065 - 11/29/12 08:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree also on this. However, I still prefer the single eyepiece solution because it is less complicated. So I gave up the binos and instead prefer the expensive planetary

I am in favor of both of these ideas and it all depends on the seeing conditions or my mood. I usually prefer the binos, but I also use single eyepieces at public sessions. When I use the binos, I prefer pairs of Brandons, CZJ orthos, ZAO-II orthos, or A-P SPL.

When I use single eyepieces, it depends on how tired I am. If I am fresh, I can use the ZAO-II or A-P SPL. But if my eyes are tired, then I use a TV Radian or Pentax XW for their eye relief and comfort.

There is no single "best" solution for me and I am glad that decent planetary eyepieces are so plentiful.

Cheers,

Ron

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5545379 - 11/29/12 11:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I still prefer the single eyepiece solution because it is less complicated. So I gave up the binos and instead prefer the expensive planetary

However expensive the eyepiece, I see more with a binoviewer and dirt-cheap kellners and orthos, so I prefer the slightly more complicated solution, since it ultimately delivers more detail to my eyes.

Over time, as I tried binoviewing for several months straight, I discovered that the more complicated the process of observing became, the less I observe. But when I keep my primary scope on an alt-az mount, with just a red dot finder, and a single slot eyepiece holder with zero balance issues...taking the scope out becomes effortless so i end up observing way more than when it is complicated. Granted, there are nights when complicated is on the menu as may have some specialized needs that evening that have been planned. But as far as the "norm" I like my primary scope to have zero to do and just pick it up mounted and set outside for cooldown, then walk out with a few eyepieces in hand and get to observing where the only futzing I need to do is spin the focuser knob. Yup...I like basic lazy observing.

Edited by BillP (11/29/12 11:43 AM)

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5545399 - 11/29/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

Over time, as I tried binoviewing for several months straight, I discovered that the more complicated the process of observing became, the less I observe. But when I keep my primary scope on an alt-az mount, with just a red dot finder, and a single slot eyepiece holder with zero balance issues...taking the scope out becomes effortless so i end up observing way more than when it is complicated. Granted, there are nights when complicated is on the menu as may have some specialized needs that evening that have been planned. But as far as the "norm" I like my primary scope to have zero to do and just pick it up mounted and set outside for cooldown, then walk out with a few eyepieces in hand and get to observing where the only futzing I need to do is spin the focuser knob. Yup...I like basic lazy observing.

I found the same thing happened to me over time. I LOVED the views in binoviewers, don't get me wrong, but over time I would go outside, set up the scope for cooldown and when I got around to observing I would use eyepieces in mono mode! I also found it tiresome to set up the balance for the binoviewers, add the barlow, put binoviewers into the barlow, add two eyepieces, fiddle with focus for both eyes, etc....

It's a great view, but I am lazy too and like to keep things simple. I may foray into the binoviewer world again like I said....I dunno.

You just reminded me how much of a PITA it was to set it all up, Back then I had tracking too!

Cheers,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7765

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics