Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5545493 - 11/29/12 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Over time, as I tried binoviewing for several months straight, I discovered that the more complicated the process of observing became, the less I observe. But when I keep my primary scope on an alt-az mount, with just a red dot finder, and a single slot eyepiece holder with zero balance issues...taking the scope out becomes effortless so i end up observing way more than when it is complicated. Granted, there are nights when complicated is on the menu as may have some specialized needs that evening that have been planned. But as far as the "norm" I like my primary scope to have zero to do and just pick it up mounted and set outside for cooldown, then walk out with a few eyepieces in hand and get to observing where the only futzing I need to do is spin the focuser knob. Yup...I like basic lazy observing.

I found the same thing happened to me over time. I LOVED the views in binoviewers, don't get me wrong, but over time I would go outside, set up the scope for cooldown and when I got around to observing I would use eyepieces in mono mode! I also found it tiresome to set up the balance for the binoviewers, add the barlow, put binoviewers into the barlow, add two eyepieces, fiddle with focus for both eyes, etc....

It's a great view, but I am lazy too and like to keep things simple. I may foray into the binoviewer world again like I said....I dunno.

You just reminded me how much of a PITA it was to set it all up, Back then I had tracking too!

Cheers,

This maybe the answer...

http://www.halfhitchtelescope.com/

Or this...

http://www.desertskyastro.com/DSV-3.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Skywise2]
      #5545503 - 11/29/12 12:59 PM

My favorites are the ZAO's in a MkV binoviewer, I definitely see more low contrast detail binoviewing. If the ZAO's didn't exist I could be quite happy with Radians, Ethos, or t6 Naglers for planetary observing.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: t.r.]
      #5545519 - 11/29/12 01:06 PM

I have my doubts that the Half-Hitch would work well for Mark's 10" f/4.8 Newt OTA. It's probably better for more compact loads such as APOs, short-tube achros and Cats. Also, there's that price tag: $1300. Ouch! I think that's more than I paid for my 10" Dob, 8" Dob and 150mm Mak altogether. But I'd probably get one for something or other if I could afford it.

The DSV-3 has a more conservative price, but it seems that it's also best for compact loads.

Mike

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5545526 - 11/29/12 01:12 PM

I meant for the short refractor/SCT and binoviewers.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: t.r.]
      #5545593 - 11/29/12 01:56 PM

I figured that ... but I just wanted to stress the limits of those mounts. Not much use to Mark and me with our 10" f/4.8 Newt OTAs.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5545610 - 11/29/12 02:06 PM

For all those complaining ... eh, commenting on the bother of hauling out the telescope with binoviewer and double sets of eyepieces, futzing around to make sure the eyepiece images merge correctly, and having to rebalance the scope, consider this: I have to do all that without a back yard or deck! The only place I can set up is in a public area beside my condo. Imagine the hauling, the futzing and the rebalancing without any privacy, while dog walkers, loitering teens and late-night sports fans stumble past, not to mention no protection from the glare of all-night lights of the paranoid neighbors. And if the night is cold, you can't go back inside for a break. You have to stay outside for the entire observing session to guard the equipment.

You folks have it easy! I'd be setting up that scope with binoviewer and all the trimings every clear night if had a backyard or a deck.

No, I'm not complaining.

Mike

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5545887 - 11/29/12 05:35 PM

I am too lazy to squint my left eye or cover it up, so I binoview.

Seriously though there is such a huge difference in the planetary image to me when binoviewing that it's worth the minimal amount of extra fuss. I think where a lot of people get frustrated binoviewing, is from using big, heavy eyepieces. Binoviewing with Brandons or nice, small, lightweight orthos or plossls is simply a pleasure - and my loaded binoviewers weigh virtually the same as my 31T5 Nagler.

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Long Island, NY - Europe
      #5546564 - 11/30/12 01:26 AM

Quote:

For all those complaining ... eh, commenting on the bother of hauling out the telescope with binoviewer and double sets of eyepieces, futzing around to make sure the eyepiece images merge correctly, and having to rebalance the scope, consider this: I have to do all that without a back yard or deck! The only place I can set up is in a public area beside my condo. Imagine the hauling, the futzing and the rebalancing without any privacy, while dog walkers, loitering teens and late-night sports fans stumble past, not to mention no protection from the glare of all-night lights of the paranoid neighbors. And if the night is cold, you can't go back inside for a break. You have to stay outside for the entire observing session to guard the equipment.

You folks have it easy! I'd be setting up that scope with binoviewer and all the trimings every clear night if had a backyard or a deck.

No, I'm not complaining.

Mike

I don't know how you do it Mike without having a nervous breakdown . I know I would..., and you know, light pollution would be the least of my problems. It's all the other things you mentioned that can spoil my observing.

George

Edited by george tatsis (11/30/12 01:34 AM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: george tatsis]
      #5546714 - 11/30/12 07:01 AM

Determination and chutzpah.

Mike

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5547030 - 11/30/12 11:42 AM

Quote:

It is easier to carry an eye patch so you don't need to squint, rather than a bino viewer If you also carry a parrot for your shoulder then you can attract attention as well

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: BillP]
      #5547126 - 11/30/12 12:36 PM

IME, most folks who are not in the hobby are so night blind they would probably not notice the eye patch, much less the parrot, and might not even see you in the suburban "dark" unless they shine a flashlight at you.

Mike

LDb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5547910 - 11/30/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not complaining.

Mike

Hi All --

Sooooo -- I guess I'll be a wild-card here because my 14inch LX200GPS is set up on a scope-buggy, ready to go outside from the garage in minutes. The Cat-cooler brings to equilibrium pretty quick and the binoviewer always has Brandons in it, for planetary (well and pretty much all) viewing. The best FLs for planetary viewing are the 24, 16, 12, (and 8 on really nice nights). These give 148X (11X/in), 222X (16/in), 296X (21X/in), and 444X (31X/in). The 24 gives really remarkable views. Jupiter's belts resolve into festoons and swirls and colored wisps with ease on a decent night. The Galilean satellites are disks with discernible albedo differences. With the 16 and 12 on decent to good nights -- the detail is astonishing. The 8mm in the 14inch is only for really nice, calm nights and then the views are pretty much in-orbit-around-the-planet.

Yes, I'm a devout Brandon acolyte. It is known. With a set of Bino'd Brandons in the 14, the views are pretty amazing and worth every second on a good night and even on the not-so-great nights here in Cleveland.

There you have it -- my bino'd cents

Howard

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: LDb]
      #5548480 - 12/01/12 09:42 AM

I don't have a garage. I have to carry all my gear down a double flight of stairs in my house, down another flight of stairs below my porch, then around the side of my house along a grassy slope. No scope-buggy for me.

Mike

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5548577 - 12/01/12 10:57 AM

Quote:

No scope-buggy for me.

How about a scope-airship?

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5548669 - 12/01/12 12:05 PM

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5552532 - 12/03/12 06:16 PM

I think Peterson Engineering markets a set of anti-gravs for this.

Howard: Ahh - a binoviewer full of Brandons, plugged in to a 14" LX200.
It just doesn't get any better than that, does it?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5552569 - 12/03/12 06:37 PM

Yes, it does get better than that! How about a 14" LX200 parked in an observatory instead of riding a scope-buggy!

Hater of Scotophobes!
Mike

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5552966 - 12/03/12 10:12 PM

I agree! Using both eyes with two small eyepieces evewn with only 45° AFOV and not necessarily the best class eyepieces is far superior on planets than using one eye with a better class eyepiece. The gain using both eyes just can't be beat! It's also less tiresome staring at a planet at high power using both your eyes than using only your one best eye and covering the other. It feels unnatural to observe with one eye for long periods of time.

Quote:

Seriously though there is such a huge difference in the planetary image to me when binoviewing that it's worth the minimal amount of extra fuss. I think where a lot of people get frustrated binoviewing, is from using big, heavy eyepieces. Binoviewing with Brandons or nice, small, lightweight orthos or plossls is simply a pleasure - and my loaded binoviewers weigh virtually the same as my 31T5 Nagler.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5553166 - 12/04/12 12:18 AM

Quote:

Yes, it does get better than that! How about a 14" LX200 parked in an observatory instead of riding a scope-buggy!

Hater of Scotophobes!
Mike

Well, I admit that is pretty great. (I just didn't want to rub it in.)

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: BillP]
      #5553171 - 12/04/12 12:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It is easier to carry an eye patch so you don't need to squint, rather than a bino viewer If you also carry a parrot for your shoulder then you can attract attention as well

Aye! And when one o' them lubbers asks what kind of eyepieces I uses, I tells 'em: "BARRrrr-andons!"

Avast!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7579

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics