Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
rhophi

Reged: 10/22/11

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5534528 - 11/22/12 09:56 PM

Hifaackanders2,

Thanks for the link, the page is completely in Japanese, quite challenging...

I just tried the Rangers last night.
I will post my experince later.

Clear skies!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: rhophi]
      #5534778 - 11/23/12 02:29 AM

I received the Ranger SRT 6x32mm binoculars about a week ago 11/17 when a couple of low pressure systems (cold fronts) were sweeping across the Northwest coast, bringing clouds and rain to Northern California.
During this time, I checked for craftsmanship and optical coating.
The Eagle Optics SRT 6x32 Roof Prism binocs are sturdy and properly assembled (no moving parts). The rubber armoring set weights 550 gr (19.4 oz); very compact (124.5 mm height and 122 mm width).
I was able to set the Ranger very comfortably on my eyes. With an eye relief of 19.5mm, it felt like a perfect fit for my eyes (comfort is far superior to all my Porro prism design sets). Every time I switched to my 10x50 Orion UltraView, it felt very awkward on my eyes. The Ranger SRT is a very comfortable set to observe with. A negative tone is that I found the diopter ring to be tight and hard to turn.
I compare the coatings of the Ranger SRT to the other three sets I own. Per printed specifications, they are all assembled with multicoated optical surfaces. However the test suggested that this was not true for one of the binoculars. The results confirmed my doubts about my 15x70 Celestron SkyMaster set.
I held each set of binoculars under a bright light with the following results:
• The SRT 6x32 lenses showed a deep purple sheen. When tilted back and forth the light reflection was dim and purple. This suggests proper multicoated lenses.
• Next to the SRT, I placed the 10x50 Orion which showed a very deep green coating with dim reflections. In my opinion, the Orion has the best coating of all the sets.
• The Celestron 15x70 SkyMaster gave off a pale green color coating and perceptible bright white light reflections which suggests single-layer coating.
• The Oberwerk 20x80 showed a green coating, quite uniform, but the white light reflections were whiter and brighter than the ones observed on the Orion and the Ranger, but far less than the Celestron’s.

Under the sky…Last night the clouds finally gave us a break and the Northern and Eastern portion of the sky cleared up and I was able to point at Cassiopeia and Perseus. The double cluster which looks spectacular on the 10x50 Orion, appeared very dim on the SRT. Then I turned over to Taurus to check the Hyades which spans about 6 degrees of sky. The Ranger SRT 6x32 captured the whole cluster from Gamma tauri to Aldebaran, and to epsilon tauri. Even though the view captured the whole cluster, the view was dim and FOV seemed like looking through two toilet paper roll cardboard core tubes.
To my surprise the stars look sharp all the way to the edge.

The crescent moon was out and pointed the SRT Ranger at to look for any false color on the limb of the moon. The view of the moon was sharp with good contrast, and even though there was a very slight purple color, it did not bother me.

In the morning, I looked for birds in the backyard, and I was impressed by the sharp, clear and vivid colors of the bird’s feathers and eyes.
The SRT Ranger 6x32 seem to do a fantastic job in the daylight (birding), but the set did not created the wow effect I was looking for on dim stars and constellations.

Conclusion, I believe I need a little bit more of aperture (objective lenses) and a slightly more magnification.

I decided to return the Ranger SRT 6x32 and look for a wide FOV 7x35 or 8x42.

Eagle Optics carries a 8X42 – Atlas Optics Intrepid ED with 8.01 Degrees FOV which seem to be a good option.

Clear night skies!

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
Re: Low mag Binocs [Re: rhophi]
      #5534850 - 11/23/12 04:09 AM

Nice report; I think you confirmed our expectations with regard to light grasp and particularly the narrow AFOV. It's good to know that otherwise they're a nice set of optics.

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
Spiking new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5534987 - 11/23/12 08:13 AM

Hello Rho Phi,

Did you look at any planets, to check for "spiking?" This is the bane of most roof prism binoculars. The top of the line roof prism binoculars, like the Zeiss Victory line or the Leica binoculars, do minimize the problem, but it is not present in Porro glasses.

Clear skies,
Arthur

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5535665 - 11/23/12 02:47 PM

Quote:

Hifaackanders2,

Clear skies!

Yes, They are Japanese. You can translate Japanese to Englisg but the translation is not that great.

There are other 2.3x40mm galilean binocular articles (from ewhen they were made in Russia, same design but coatings may be different.)

I bought mine from Blue Planet Optics, and then bought the headset and 48mm filter holders fron Kasai and one of their partner suppliers. I wrote them a letter or e-mail in enlish, and they replied back in english on the US price (actually I think it may have ben paypal or credit card in yen and/or the3y converted it for me in dollars).

I really like the ultra wide view, but eye relief is near zero, and the closer you get to your eye the wider the views. I like the hands free headset since extended viewing like meteor showers doesn't requie keepings arms up, but the wide view is reduced slightly since they are not as close to the eyes as hand holding them, and the bino mount/bracket could have been made easier and more robust with a bottom flange to resist sliding/falling out.

Af so the filter holders. I have 2 skyglow, 1 ultrablock, 1 OIII, and 1 hydrogen beta filter. I either prefer no filters, or one skyglow and one non filter. I have seen M42, M8, M27 (as blinking planetary) and NGC7000 with filters; and obviosly M42, M48, M31 and others w/o filters (and looks like skychart!).

rhophi

Re: Spiking new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5535831 - 11/23/12 04:28 PM

Quote:

Hello Rho Phi,

Did you look at any planets, to check for "spiking?" This is the bane of most roof prism binoculars. The top of the line roof prism binoculars, like the Zeiss Victory line or the Leica binoculars, do minimize the problem, but it is not present in Porro glasses.

Clear skies,
Arthur

Hi Arthur,

I pointed at Jupiter for a moment, but the view was not eye catching. So I quickly moved to another part of the sky.

How do you describe "spiking" ?

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
Re: Spiking new [Re: rhophi]
      #5536016 - 11/23/12 06:32 PM

What Arthur meant is that roof prism binoculars can show a single large diffraction line that bisects the image diagonally. I wouldn't actually call that "spiking", but I believe this is what he meant. It is best seen when looking at a nearby streetlight. In my Vixen 8x42 I found it invisible on anything fainter than the Moon.

rhophi

Re: Spiking new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5537424 - 11/24/12 03:48 PM

Quote:

What Arthur meant is that roof prism binoculars can show a single large diffraction line that bisects the image diagonally. I wouldn't actually call that "spiking", but I believe this is what he meant. It is best seen when looking at a nearby streetlight. In my Vixen 8x42 I found it invisible on anything fainter than the Moon.

I just took a quick glance at Jupiter, but I do not recall seeing what you have described.

Thanks for clarifying the point.

Clear Skies

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5537457 - 11/24/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hifaackanders2,

Clear skies!

Yes, They are Japanese. You can translate Japanese to Englisg but the translation is not that great.

There are other 2.3x40mm galilean binocular articles (from ewhen they were made in Russia, same design but coatings may be different.)

I bought mine from Blue Planet Optics, and then bought the headset and 48mm filter holders fron Kasai and one of their partner suppliers. I wrote them a letter or e-mail in enlish, and they replied back in english on the US price (actually I think it may have ben paypal or credit card in yen and/or the3y converted it for me in dollars).

I really like the ultra wide view, but eye relief is near zero, and the closer you get to your eye the wider the views. I like the hands free headset since extended viewing like meteor showers doesn't requie keepings arms up, but the wide view is reduced slightly since they are not as close to the eyes as hand holding them, and the bino mount/bracket could have been made easier and more robust with a bottom flange to resist sliding/falling out.

Af so the filter holders. I have 2 skyglow, 1 ultrablock, 1 OIII, and 1 hydrogen beta filter. I either prefer no filters, or one skyglow and one non filter. I have seen M42, M8, M27 (as blinking planetary) and NGC7000 with filters; and obviosly M42, M48, M31 and others w/o filters (and looks like skychart!).

I will check to see if there is a dealer that carries WideBino 28 opera glasses overseas i.e. Australia that I visit at least twice a year. Or maybe somewhere in South America.
For my taste, Kasai Trading is not set to make business with foreign countries.

Thanks for the info!

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #5537656 - 11/24/12 06:35 PM

On my Russian version of the 2.3X40 I improved eye relief/FOV concerns by removing the rear part of the eyepiece which has the hole to peer through. This ring also retains the eyepiece barrel's outer sleeve, and to keep this from falling off I placed some bits of tape under the sleeve so that it is held on by friction. This modification makes seeing the fullest field rather easier. Like any Galilean instrument, which does not have a field stop, the FOV depends on eye placement, as well as on objective diameter (at 2.3X, the largest portion of the objective contributing to image formation would be less than 20mm.)

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5537659 - 11/24/12 06:38 PM

Writing an email to Kasai may be quicker than waiting for some company (like Blue Planet Optics) to market them in english.

They did respond back to me quickly in english.

The only thing though price is dependent on the Yen/dollar rate which you may want to wait if you are optimistic the dollar will do better in the future (providing the US dollar doesn't fall off the cliff).

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
Re: Spiking new [Re: rhophi]
      #5538107 - 11/25/12 12:33 AM

Quote:

Hi Arthur,

I pointed at Jupiter for a moment, but the view was not eye catching. So I quickly moved to another part of the sky.

Hello Rho Phi,

Holger Merlitz wrote:
As a result of diffraction at the roof edge, a bright point-like source is producing a single "spike", and since both prisms (left and right tube) are oriented under different angles, both spikes form a cross-like structure when the light source is of sufficient intensity. The intensity of these spikes may be related to the accuracy to which the roof edge is cut, and hence it differs from instrument to instrument. -
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/meopta8x32.html

Clear skies,
Arthur

rhophi

Re: Spiking new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5540799 - 11/26/12 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Arthur,

Hello Rho Phi,

Holger Merlitz wrote:
As a result of diffraction at the roof edge, a bright point-like source is producing a single "spike", and since both prisms (left and right tube) are oriented under different angles, both spikes form a cross-like structure when the light source is of sufficient intensity. The intensity of these spikes may be related to the accuracy to which the roof edge is cut, and hence it differs from instrument to instrument. -
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/meopta8x32.html

Clear skies,
Arthur

Hi Arthur,

I have seen ghost images as described in Holger Merlitz's report. These are noticeable inside some eyepieces when observing the moon or bright objects like Venus or Jupiter.
I believe, ghost images are mainly caused by internal reflections inside the eyepiece.
In regards to the Ranger SRT 6x32, I remember I observed the moon for several minutes and I do not recall seeing any ghost images.

I will check again as soon as I receive the 8x42 Atlas Optics Intrepid ED Roof Binocular.

Clear Skies!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5044

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics