Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5534929 - 11/23/12 07:08 AM

the dog is doing it's job-barking at strangers and potential threats -protecting the homeland

make friends, as many above have suggested, both the dog and owner

the recent widow may be a scared of you as you are irritated at the dog
and remember, your rights end at the fence line

edj

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog [Re: edwincjones]
      #5534932 - 11/23/12 07:11 AM

worse comes to worse,
you could call the police on the barking dog,
she could call the police on the NH3 spray,
but I would not want to face an 80 yo recent widow in court

edj

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5535007 - 11/23/12 08:30 AM

If the widow is elderly purhaps she is also hard of hearing and may not even know the dog is barking. When you age you first lose the ability to hear high pitch sounds like a small dog barking.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5535064 - 11/23/12 09:06 AM

Well you could try one of those dog barking machines..buy it maybe from a local pet store and try it out for a while. If it don't work, take it back and get your money back.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5535075 - 11/23/12 09:12 AM

Quote:

the dog is doing it's job-barking at strangers and potential threats -protecting the homeland

Well in this situation I am friends with the dog and the neighbor.

But I can ask her only so much or she'll get flustered and I don't want her to have a stroke.

She does come and take the dog inside. and I tell Cassie,"I told you, you were going to get in trouble"

but I'll be outside for an hour and then here comes that &$^*% Cassie again.

I just bought a high frequency thingy to see how it will work.

for people suggesting the police; if I did persue legal actions, I would be viewed by the other neighbors as such a JERK that I eventually would have to move.

cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5535088 - 11/23/12 09:17 AM

Just turn your ear off. That's what I do.

Regards,
Brad

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5535160 - 11/23/12 10:03 AM

Quote:

edj

Not entirely true.

You have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your residential property and loud music ,construction noise,bright lights aimed at your property from another, and barking dogs are all nuisances that courts have routinely held as infringements,especially if they occur late at night and regularly.

The widow should have gotten a smaller dog that would live inside happily,perhaps a Pomeranian.My family knew an older couple who had two beautiful Pomeranians that were always in the house when we visted and were well-behaved.

I feel sorry for the Sheltie.

And I blame the widow and her daughter(s) for treating as dog as they would a fashion accessory or appliance.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5535182 - 11/23/12 10:14 AM

When you plan an observing session; talk to the lady and ask if she could keep the dog in for the time you're observing.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#5535228 - 11/23/12 10:43 AM

I can't stand barking dogs. Even worse are the owners who don't care. Worrying about robbers to that degree isn't worth the headache. Even when squirrels shuffle in the trees, dogs go nuts. Pretty soon it's don't cry wolf. I couldn't concentrate on my night sky observing with that around me.

Edited by Daniel Mounsey (11/23/12 10:49 AM)

caheaton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5535285 - 11/23/12 11:23 AM

I'd say make friends with the dog. We have fairly new neighbors (about a year now) and at first, their dog (a large boxer) always barked at me whenever I was outside and he was out, be it day or night. I always made it a point to talk to the dog while I was out. Later as he got to know me a bit I slipped him a dog treat now and then through the fence. After that, I would pet and scratch him a bit (he loves that). Now the only time he barks when I'm outside is when he's demanding me to come over and pet him. After petting him for a bit he's content to lay quietly on their back deck and just watch me :-) .

Long story short, befriend the dog and you'll cease to be a threat to bark at, instead you'll become part of the normal landscape!

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5535334 - 11/23/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

When you plan an observing session; talk to the lady and ask if she could keep the dog in for the time you're observing.

best solution thus far

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BigC]
      #5535336 - 11/23/12 11:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

edj

Not entirely true.

You have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your residential property and loud music ,construction noise,bright lights aimed at your property from another, and barking dogs are all nuisances that courts have routinely held as infringements,especially if they occur late at night and regularly.

The widow should have gotten a smaller dog that would live inside happily,perhaps a Pomeranian.My family knew an older couple who had two beautiful Pomeranians that were always in the house when we visted and were well-behaved.

I feel sorry for the Sheltie.

And I blame the widow and her daughter(s) for treating as dog as they would a fashion accessory or appliance.

maybe not entirely true,
but if this goes to city officials/court
my money is on the widow
unless
a jury of CN members

edj

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5535380 - 11/23/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

best solution thus far

so call her when I want to work on my motorcycle, call her when I'm in the garage grinding glass, call her when I'm biscuiting a rocker box or painting an alum tube in front of my garage, call her when I want to observe take a break go back out again, call her when I want to wash my car?

OMG!

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #5535387 - 11/23/12 12:23 PM

Perhaps you should get an MP3 player with your favorite music and some good headphones with *active* noise cancelling -- or you could just get the latter since that would be the most important part of the package...

Edited by ThreeD (11/23/12 12:25 PM)

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5535397 - 11/23/12 12:30 PM

Our neighbor's dog barks from the moment he is let outside until he is brought back in, regardless of whether there is anything to bark at. He barks just in case, I guess. Anyhow, someone (not me) put a copy of the city problem animal ordinance in their mailbox a few years ago, and that helped for a while. We finally called the city and complained. They were ticketed and the barking stopped. Tough love, I call it. It is fine if you want to spend time training somebody elses animal, but it is not your responsibility.

Edited by MawkHawk (11/23/12 01:07 PM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5535412 - 11/23/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

best solution thus far

so call her when I want to work on my motorcycle, call her when I'm in the garage grinding glass, call her when I'm biscuiting a rocker box or painting an alum tube in front of my garage, call her when I want to observe take a break go back out again, call her when I want to wash my car?

OMG!

Well, since this forum is about observing; that's why I made the suggestion. Other activities you do, really have no bearing on an astronomy thread.

Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
      #5535593 - 11/23/12 02:06 PM

I'm sorry for the barking dog.

Having 2 carin terriers and living in the city I HAVE to be conscious of my neighbors.

Any dog will bark if left to do so and my 2 guys would bark at everyone who walked by my deck if I let them. But as a responsible owners ( my wife and I ) we have made a concerted effort to control the barking. Whether it by training, dog collar, or just bring the dog inside.

If I am on my deck and my guys start to bark even once I am on it instantly. And if I can't get them to stop then they are whisked inside immediately. If you can't behave you can't join me on the deck. Simple as that.

Unfortunately having a neighbor who is older she is not going to train her dog, and it seems that her daughter is unwilling to do the same. That's irresponsible and wrong. Sorry if I sound a little heated but this stuff really burns me up.

Any neighbor who has something that affects others in a negative way should make the necessary modifications to make sure they aren't " disturbing" others. This is just common courtesy. Whether it be loud music, loud motorcycles, parties, or barking dogs. I consider my neighbors every time I do anything at home and I expect the same.

My feeling personally is if this dog is constantly barking then you, sorry to say, should have a talk with her and tell her it disturbs you and would ask her to keep it inside if it can't have good manners. If she gets flustered then I don't know what to say. I'm sure there are things which bother her and she needs to see it from your side. If not then I think you have no choice but to find out about the ordinances in your area and have a visit paid to her by the cops.

If you tried and failed I don't see much choice. I believe you are in the right here. There is no reason why the dog can't be inside most of the time. And the barking for protection is a bunch of hog wash. If a dog is barking all the time it becomes background noise, not an alert.

I wish you the best....and just on cue...I'm off to get my 2 dogs and bring them inside because they just started barking. I'm not going to be THAT guy...with the annoying dogs.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5535674 - 11/23/12 02:49 PM

"I know her and the little @$##$ thing quite well"

Part of the reason it barks more. Dogs can sense hatred, it's letting you know it doesn't understand you're hatred, it's why he's barking at you....He's actually trying to understand you; if you have ever really been around animals, you would understand him.....any dog or cat owner knows what I'm talking about.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5535731 - 11/23/12 03:27 PM

Quote:

Part of the reason it barks more. Dogs can sense hatred...

Maybe not hatred, but the dog might see you as a threat. Dogs bark at threats. They also bark for attention, they bark to play, and sometimes they just bark to say "hello." You have to read what kind of bark it is and what kind of body language the dog is showing.

You have to be the alpha dog, however I would NOT try to discipline the dog with ammonia, water, or anything else. That's your neighbor's job, but you can certainly help in a non-threatening way. If the dog regards you as a threat, you can easily make the situation worse. If you try to do it yourself, you might make a lifetime enemy instead of an obedient friend.

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5535754 - 11/23/12 03:39 PM

Let it yap...Maybe it will bother the other neighbors enough they'll complain and you won't have to.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6029

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics