Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Warren914

Reged: 03/21/12

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece
      #5534988 - 11/23/12 08:15 AM

I've always used the eyepiece with the 2-inch nosepiece. Last night I wanted to use a filter to look at Jupiter. I could not get the 1-1/4 nosepiece to attach to the main eyepiece body. There is an adapter with a knurled outer that it will screw into, but otherwise there is nowhere to attach.

Is it me or the eyepiece that is missing something?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Warren914]
      #5535009 - 11/23/12 08:31 AM

Quote:

I've always used the eyepiece with the 2-inch nosepiece. Last night I wanted to use a filter to look at Jupiter. I could not get the 1-1/4 nosepiece to attach to the main eyepiece body. There is an adapter with a knurled outer that it will screw into, but otherwise there is nowhere to attach.

I'm not totally certain about this, having only played with one at NEAF a few years ago, but if I'm not mistaken, you must first unscrew the 2" nosepiece and you'll then be able to convert it to 1.25" Take a look here and click on the small image showing the zoom with all the various attachments.

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Reged: 08/04/12

Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5535346 - 11/23/12 12:01 PM

You know.........I thought I was going to be able to help on this one, as I just got a new one about a week ago. I took mine apart and set it up for 2", because that was how I planned to use it. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it back to 1.25"!!!
There are a total of (3) pieces involved, that much I know, as mine is brand new..........1.25" nose-piece, 2" nose-piece, and the flat knurled ring(???) Guess I'll have to follow this thread as well

LATE EDITION: After looking things over a bit more, there IS a rubber washer/grommet that is about the same size as a lens cap, with a hole in the center............that may(??) play a part, but I'm too busy with company to check it out.

Edited by Jim Jeffries (11/23/12 01:22 PM)

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5535607 - 11/23/12 02:16 PM

Here's an illustrated guide on how to convert the Baader Hyperion Mark III zoom from 2" to 1-1/4" (works with the older Hyperion zoom as well).

The Mark III zoom in 2" mode:

Start by Unscrewing both the 2" sleeve & connector ring:

The tricky part is when only the 2" sleeve is unscrewed but not the connector ring - both of them must be unscrewed (not necessarily together) to convert to 1-1/4". Shown below is how the 2 look like when separated (set both of them aside for this operation):

Next, find the knurled ring and the 1-1/4" sleeve shown below which you must have put away somewhere when converting from 1-1/4" to 2"

Screw on the knurled ring as shown below:

Finally, screw on the 1-1/4" sleeve onto the knurled ring thread and you're done.

Mark III zoom in 1-1/4" mode

Hope this helps.

Best,

Warren914

Reged: 03/21/12

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: ibase]
      #5535809 - 11/23/12 04:10 PM

The tricky connector ring. It seemed to belong there and I didn't want to push too hard. I'll give it another try when I get home. Thanks!

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

#5535901 - 11/23/12 05:23 PM

Hernando:
"Thank You"!..........I'll have to go try that out myself. I doubt I'll ever use it in 1.25" mode, but at least I'll know how

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5536285 - 11/23/12 09:20 PM

Quote:

The tricky connector ring. It seemed to belong there and I didn't want to push too hard. I'll give it another try when I get home. Thanks!

You're welcome. Yes, sometimes things don't seem what it is with this zoom because of its seamless modular design, like some owners miss out that the zoom has a helical twist-up eyecup that seemingly does not exist.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5536319 - 11/23/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

Hernando:
"Thank You"!..........I'll have to go try that out myself. I doubt I'll ever use it in 1.25" mode, but at least I'll know how

Jim, you're most welcome, yeah knowing how to convert might come in handy someday. About the rubber washer/grommet that you mentioned earlier which comes with the Mark III, it's used when going binoviewing with two zooms. The top eye segment of the zoom can be unscrewed (again, seemingly not an option but it's possible) and the grommet replaces it and becomes a fold-up eyecup instead of the default helical twist-up. In doing so, the diameter of the zoom's top is reduced yielding more nose room when binoviewing. Can't be done on the old/previous zoom version.

Best,

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

#5536548 - 11/24/12 01:17 AM

Thanks!!..........that is also good to know. It's also nice when someone knowledgeable on here is willing to help, and not be a snob.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5536798 - 11/24/12 08:37 AM

It's my pleasure and thanks too!

Best,

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Utah
      #5537216 - 11/24/12 01:03 PM

Bill

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5537224 - 11/24/12 01:13 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Don't feel bad,you are not alone , after attaching the Hyperion barlow, I couldn't get it back together or figure out how I could use the 2" nosepiece again. I was finally able to use both nose pieces, but it can be a mystery of attaching different adaptors. Wait till you try their barlow.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Bill Cowles]
      #5537620 - 11/24/12 06:10 PM

Lol Thanks Bill; I have a lot of barlows - TV 2x, 3x, Powermate, GSO, Antares, Celestron, etc., but because of its small compact profile, I've gravitated more and more towards using the Baader 2.25x barlow that you've mentioned and shown in your pic above.

Best,

catboat
sage

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: Maine
      #5538473 - 11/25/12 10:17 AM

Hernanado, Thanks for the great pics and making it clear.

Here's my problem. I bought a Mark III used. It came in 1.25" mode the with various adapters. Mint condition.

It was not until several months later that I thought about changing to 2" mode. Yikes! The "knurled" ring is on so tight I can't budge it. Ditto for the 1.25" nose piece. I tried as much twisting force as I dared (hard to get a grip) and then gave up.

Anyone else had this problem?

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: catboat]
      #5538507 - 11/25/12 10:40 AM

Quote:

Here's my problem. I bought a Mark III used. It came in 1.25" mode the with various adapters. Mint condition.

It was not until several months later that I thought about changing to 2" mode. Yikes! The "knurled" ring is on so tight I can't budge it. Ditto for the 1.25" nose piece. I tried as much twisting force as I dared (hard to get a grip) and then gave up.

YES!! -- Initially...........when I first took my new one apart, it was tight as a tick!! I finally figured out that the 1.25 nose-piece must be removed first, then the knurled ring. Can't do both at once.
Don't know if that will solve your problem, but that's what worked for me..................Jim Jeffries

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5538531 - 11/25/12 11:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

YES!! -- Initially...........when I first took my new one apart, it was tight as a tick!! I finally figured out that the 1.25 nose-piece must be removed first, then the knurled ring. Can't do both at once.
Don't know if that will solve your problem, but that's what worked for me..................Jim Jeffries

Exactly as Jim said, start by unscrewing the 1-1/4" nosepiece first. Don't worry about anything/lens falling out when you do that, nothing will, it's just a metal sleeve. After that, do the same with the knurled ring. Having tried twisting the knurled ring first might have locked the 1-1/4" nosepiece, so try a tightening motion on it before unscrewing it. Let us know how it works out.

Best,

catboat
sage

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: Maine
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5538542 - 11/25/12 11:15 AM

Jim and Hernando,

Thank you both. I will concentrate all efforts on the removing the 1.25 nose first. It's on there tight! Now that I know the proper order, I'll go at it with more confidence.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece [Re: catboat]
      #5538575 - 11/25/12 11:37 AM

Alright, try some tightening action on the knurled ring too to make it inch up a bit back to its old position, so as to allow the 1-1/4" nosepiece some leeway.

Best,

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

#5540126 - 11/26/12 11:12 AM

I'm sure it must seem redundant to those that are experienced, but it WOULD be nice if manufacturers would put in even a simple "exploded drawing", so that a guy could see how some of this works.......................

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5540265 - 11/26/12 12:53 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Hernando, funny how few people now about this barlow. I found out from you and like you mentioned, it's small size and performance is hard to beat. It's another reason I love my Hyperion zoom.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3769

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics