Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Harry.C

Reged: 10/19/12

CGEM DX alignment process question
      #5535127 - 11/23/12 09:42 AM

I've been trying to dive right in to AP after getting my CGEM DX mount but for the past two attempts I've been foiled by the first step of the process -- alignment.

My first question is regarding the polar scope. When polar aligning the mount using the polar scope, should the overlay on the scope match up exactly with the stars or are they there as a rough guide? Last night I'm pretty sure I had Polaris right in the spot it should have been but it didn't seem like the other stars present really matched up exactly with the overlay in the polar scope. It is completely possible I had the wrong star in Polaris' spot.

Secondly, the mount manual says, in regards to alignment startup procedures: "before any of the described alighments are performed, the telescope mount needs to be positioned so that the index marks are aligned on both the RA and DEC axes." I mount my scopes side-by-side which means I have to rotate the head 90 degrees in the DEC axis so that my scope is pointing in the same direction as the mount. Do I still start the alignment process with the two index marks lined up or should I start it with the head rotated 90 degrees? I hope this question makes sense, and if not I'll post pictures to illustrate.

For the record, this stuff is very hard to try and figure out when it's -25 outside.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Harry C

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: CGEM DX alignment process question new [Re: Harry.C]
      #5535222 - 11/23/12 10:40 AM

Harry,

The alignment of the star pattern etched on the polar scope lens only has to be close. You need to finish up with an "All Star" alignment when you are done with your 2 + 4 star alignment.

As far as the index marks go, all they are for is as a reference point. Just start the mount out with the counter weight bar vertical and the scope(s) pointed north. You need to go into the "Scope Set Up" menu and choose "OTA Orientation" then choose the proper orientation of saddle.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CGEM DX alignment process question new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5535668 - 11/23/12 02:49 PM

Do yourself a favor and ditch the polar scope and use AllStar in the HC. Start lined up on the marks.

Harry.C

Reged: 10/19/12

Re: CGEM DX alignment process question new [Re: rmollise]
      #5537321 - 11/24/12 02:26 PM

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I went out last night and did as you both suggested. After aligning I selected M31 and the mount went straight to it, with my cameras oriented correctly!

Now I'm having problems tracking but that's for a different thread if I can't figure it out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 537

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics