Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1
Tom Kerss

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: London, UK
Absolute Astronomy - Reviews Blog new
      #5485540 - 10/23/12 04:00 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm a part-time astronomy communicator; part-time equipment consultant; full time Olympic-grade CN lurker. I've been following this site for a long, long time!

In the UK, where I'm based, the astro-equipment reviews situation is pretty dire. We have a few magazines, which sometimes publish misleading information, or whose writers simply lack the experience of a wide range of gear. And we have that 'other' forum, which well... 'nuff said!

I remember reading the addicting, oftentimes very personal reviews published on CN and in S&T (the American magazines really do things right, and who could forget ATT?) Many of my favourite equipment gurus are veterans of CN, and, inspired by their work, I've long wanted to get a blog up and running whereby I give a relatively concise opinion on equipment as I come across it. October 2012 was the month I finally got round to it!

So here it is: Absolute Astronomy - http://www.absoluteastronomy.co.uk/

It's very new, with only 4 reviews at time of this post, but I'll be updating it for as long as I can find time, and perhaps with a sufficient readerbase it will fund itself for a day each week, so I can make it properly regular.

My review philosophy is to never give opinions on anything I haven't personally spent time with, and used in the field. I have the benefit of being a part-time consultant, and in this capacity I work with an independent retailer with easily the largest range in the UK. It's nice to spend so much time trying so much equipment, but I do not endorse vendors/places to buy on this blog. In fact I don't even include prices, because they're subject to change. I think the reader/potential customer can research this on their own. I simply want to give my views about the gear itself, because frankly I love using it and talking about it.

In time I will also add some guides to selecting accessories, proper care and maintenance, and a lengthy glossary of terms. I hope this can evolve into a valuable resource for the astronomy community, and I'd love to hear your feedback!

Clear skies!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom Kerss

Re: Absolute Astronomy - Reviews Blog new [Re: Tom Kerss]
      #5506519 - 11/06/12 09:14 AM

I posted a new review today - the Vixen NLV 20mm: http://www.absoluteastronomy.co.uk/2012/11/vixen-nlv-20mm.html

The site has gathered a small following, thanks to the immensely friendly and supportive internet astro-community.

I plan to put up a beginner's buying guide and more general articles in the future. So far the comments received over Twitter have been welcoming, but I'd still be interested to hear any feedback from the CN community!

Clear skies!

Tom Kerss

Re: Absolute Astronomy - Reviews Blog new [Re: Tom Kerss]
      #5516196 - 11/12/12 03:21 PM

And now the Equinox-66 gets a blast! http://www.absoluteastronomy.co.uk/2012/11/sky-watcher-equinox-66-pro.html

Tom Kerss

Re: Absolute Astronomy - Reviews Blog [Re: Tom Kerss]
      #5535137 - 11/23/12 09:50 AM

Latest - Panoptic 24mm (first TV review to hit the blog!) http://www.absoluteastronomy.co.uk/2012/11/tele-vue-24mm-panoptic.html

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1485

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics