Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sky Muse
sage

Reged: 10/26/12

Loc: De Soto County, MS
Re: Tak or Starlight micro-fine focuser for FS series? new [Re: plyscope]
      #5533849 - 11/22/12 12:14 PM

Nice, but with the stabilising bar it's not as uniform in appearance, and therefore perhaps not as uniform in practice. I wasn't fully aware of the bar until I viewed the link, having only seen the bar in the parts bag in illustration and thinking, "What's that for?"

At this point, I so want to keep it all oem, but with that exposed bar, it's time to rethink...again.

Cheers,

Alan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Tak or Starlight micro-fine focuser for FS series? new [Re: Sky Muse]
      #5534059 - 11/22/12 02:40 PM

another data point- ordered the FT pinion upgrade for my FS102 and loved it, I found it easy to install and never needed to adjust it. Nor have I ever need to adjust the FT pinion on the Astro-Physics scopes I've owned.

I've also used the Tak 2-speed on other peoples' scopes, I did find it a little more rubbery-feeling, but not anything atrocious. I liked using it and it did the job well. If you want the all-Tak OEM look I think going with the Tak upgrade would be fine.

Let's put it this way - if I bought a used Tak with the Tak 2-speed upgrade I would just use it, no reason to switch it to FT or fool around with it. If I bought a Tak scope without a 2-speed on there and wanted to upgrade it I would buy the Starlight upgrade.

The Starlight pinion does blend pretty well with the Tak aesthetic also - the knobs look very similar except for being gold-colored, which does not clash too badly IMO. Actually I just checked, only the fine-focus knob is gold, the big ones are silver just like Tak.

Pete-LH
sage

Reged: 03/25/09

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Re: Tak or Starlight micro-fine focuser for FS series? [Re: plyscope]
      #5535462 - 11/23/12 01:01 PM

RE: "One point you should know is that the Starlight uses your original shaft and pinion "

I bought the Starlight for my FS-102 and is says in the directions that the shaft/pinion has to be true. I went and bought it anyway and my shaft/pinion was not true which caused an uneven movement. I took it to one of the local shops to make it straight and they did the best they could but it still did not move smoothly. So eventually I went back to the stock focuser which is fine. I don't know that I would call it "buttery" but it works and the views are great. The shafts on these and Vixens R&P focusers are a soft metal and are easy to knock out of true. In that sense if you have a good one the Starlght can maintain the movement and prevent bending since it encloses and protects.

I think the difficulty some have to adjust the Starlight may be due to this issue because other wise I found it easy to install and adjust.

RossSackett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: Tak or Starlight micro-fine focuser for FS series? new [Re: Pete-LH]
      #5836873 - 05/02/13 06:09 PM

I know I'm jumping in way late in this thread, but I thought I'd mention that I drilled and tapped one of the stock knurled knobs on my FS-102 and added a 3" diameter disk of 1/4" thick Al and it works great. I had been contemplating an aftermarket 10:1 fine focuser but no longer feel the need. In fact, I prefer the c.2.5:1 to the looser-feeling 10:1 micro-fine focusers I have on my other scopes. And I can more easily work it wearing gloves.

Ross

Edited by RossSackett (05/02/13 06:24 PM)

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: Tak or Starlight micro-fine focuser for FS series? new [Re: RossSackett]
      #5837104 - 05/02/13 07:39 PM

Starlight micro focuser didn't work for my FS128. I guess the casting tolerance was not right. The Starlight was not a proper fit.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1831

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics