Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
You gotta buy 2 eyepieces? Not that's crazy talk! new
      #5534484 - 11/22/12 09:18 PM

That was what I thought when I heard about binoviewing. I swore to myself that I would never add something like that to my scope just for the sheer need to have double eyepieces. That seemed to be insane to pay for 2 eyepieces when to buy one quality eyepiece was already something of a cash drain....

Well after about 2 years and oogling over planets and the moon naturally I kept wondering if there is something more I can do to go further!

Yes yes Apeture is something but all the reading about how people loved binoviewing I just was so enammered I couldn't resist.

I told myself I wouldn't take the plunge until I got my Teeter which I ordered back in March and was supposed to be ready in November. Well my scope is delayed due to mirror availability and I won't get it till February at least.

Upon hearing that news what was I to do till then?? I had to do something to keep me going....BINOVIEWERS!!!! I told myself.

So now I am part of the few insane humans who when they want to get different eyepieces.......they have to get 2.

I KNOW how I got here but I never thought I would this soon. It's funny how things work out.

So far I have had only 2 evenings to try out the binoviewers, but last weekend with Jupiter I swear I could see more detail with 2 eyes than 1. Yes the seeing was perfect but if I closed 1 eye the planet just didn't pop out. Upon opening 2 eyes... Wow!

I am almost sold on binoviewing but not 100% yet as I have to use them under a number of conditions. But so far so good! At least the used market is always an option to offload them if need be so it seemed to be a safe investment.

2 eyepiece pairs..... THAT IS CRAZY TALK! Psssst... Don't tell anyone....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: You gotta buy 2 eyepieces? Not that's crazy talk! new [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5534500 - 11/22/12 09:34 PM

Yer clusters, especially with the Teeter, will have lotsa depth/texture/roundness, and not just the globs. "Presence" someone called it.

Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: You gotta buy 2 eyepieces? Not that's crazy talk! new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5534542 - 11/22/12 10:16 PM

Down south here there is an abundance of the most amazing clusters globs to look at. I didn't believe that the glob Tucana 47 could have the effect of looking into it....crazy talk for 3D type of image, but it did.... Then tried in mono and it seemed flat. Just a trick of the mind perhaps but bino's are the best bit of kit I've laid out cash on for sure.
Matt

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: You gotta buy 2 eyepieces? Not that's crazy talk! [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5535689 - 11/23/12 02:57 PM

Denkmeier and Earthwin have power switches/reducers and variuous OCSs that enable multiple powers with just one (or two) pair(s) of eyepieces.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 505

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics