Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013
      #5536310 - 11/23/12 09:34 PM

The 2013 Grand Canyon Star Party (GCSP) will be held the nights of June 8 through 15 in northern Arizona's Grand Canyon National Park. GCSP is an annual collaboration between the National Park Service and astronomers from around North America to bring astronomy outreach to Park visitors.

Amateur astronomers with a telescope and love of the sky to share, and the interested public of all ages, are invited to experience the beautiful Arizona nights in an exploration of the heavenly Grand Canyon skies. Not an astronomer? Drop in for an unforgettable and fabulous vacation for families, singles, and seniors.

GCSP will be held concurrently on both the North and South Rims. Vistiors to the park are free to show up at their leisure, and observe through any or all telescopes. Astronomers choosing to set up for the event need to register in advance with the appropriate coordinator below. The South Rim can accomodate 80 or more telescopes, and we have not had to limit South Rim attendance thus far. The dozen or so North Rim slots on the Lodge veranda, however, usually are accounted for by the end of February.

In general, volunteer astronomers are responsible for securing their own lodging, and, due to the nature of the venues for both rims, telescopes generally need to be set up and taken down each night. Please see the North Rim site for unique arrangements for that venue.

Web sites and contact information are shown below. Please contact Steve for the North Rim, or me for the South Rim, if you are interested in attending or for questions you might have.

North Rim
Steve Dodder
Coordinator, North Rim,Grand Canyon Star Party
53750 W. Prickley Pear Rd.
Maricopa, AZ 85239
E-mail: fester00 [at] hotmail.com
Phone:602-390-0118

Grand Canyon Star Party - North Rim

South Rim
Jim O’Connor
Coordinator, South Rim, Grand Canyon Star Party
P.O. Box 457
Cortaro, AZ 85652
E-mail: gcsp [at] tucsonastronomy.org
Phone: 520 546-2961

Grand Canyon Star Party - South Rim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5537032 - 11/24/12 10:59 AM

WOO! Already booked for next year! Ready for another awesome week at the Canyon!

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #5537035 - 11/24/12 11:01 AM

Let me know if I can help you with anything this year Jim.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#5537146 - 11/24/12 12:07 PM

What can you do about the weather? And the moon?

With the way the lunation works in June 2013, we had no choice. To do it the previous week would be a couple of days too early for training the summer park aides, and the next third quarter would push us too close to July 4 preparations for the park. But, that means that with New Moon on the first night, by the end of the week the visitors will have some nice moon views both day and night, and some possible moon set in the Canyon opportunities in early evening.

And we'll have Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter all day, and Saturn until early AM so should be a good week for the day time astronomers not showing solar views and Saturn to see how many weepy eyes we can get.

So, if you can take care of the weather, we'll have a good week.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

#5538376 - 11/25/12 08:21 AM

for those who have never been
the GCSP is the best, most enjoyable, star party I have ever attended
the only negative is so much to do during the day,
I am too tired to observe at night
-the canyon
-the condors
-the trails
-the food
-the shops
-no need to drive anywhere with the buses
-solar scopes set up everywhere
and then the night sky
I spent hours staring at Omega Centauri from the North Rim

but get your lodging early

edj

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#5538498 - 11/25/12 10:36 AM

Haha I will see what I can do Jim.

Mickey_C
sage

Reged: 04/27/05

Loc: AZ
      #5542124 - 11/27/12 01:25 PM

Is the North Rim Star Party still being held on the patio of the lodge? I love the dark skies on the North Rim, but they had all those yellow bulbs burning on the patio all night.

Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: Mickey_C]
      #5542722 - 11/27/12 07:53 PM

Quote:

Is the North Rim Star Party still being held on the patio of the lodge? I love the dark skies on the North Rim, but they had all those yellow bulbs burning on the patio all night.

The park service now turns out all of the lights on the veranda during the star party. They are set on a timer and do come back on at about 12:30am, but the veranda is dark during the star party....and the skies are amazing (as you know). Few things I've seen with the naked eye can match watching the Sagittarius Milky Way rise in the east while you're staring across the Grand Canyon to see it.

Mike

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: Mike Wiles]
      #5570672 - 12/14/12 11:15 AM

Thanks, Mike. I have never done the North Rim side, but I can only imagine what the extra 1,000 feet of altitude does for the transparency.

It is sometimes funny to see the reactions to the rising of the summer Milky Way. Even some of the astronomers, new to that environment, think it's a cloud bank rolling in and start to take down their setups. I had a visitor once who insisted it was clouds. I showed him the star field through the big dob, and he insisted that the stars were in FRONT of the clouds. The crowd around us really enjoyed that conversation.

And thanks for the commercial, Ed. Very well stated. Try doing it as we did the last two years with three grandkids along who never seem to need sleep. This will be our tenth year attending, and I've only seen and done about a tenth of what I want to eventually see and do during the day.

On the South Rim, we have plenty of room for more volunteers. Come on out and join us and see how many lives you can touch.

azpalmer

Reged: 06/11/09

Loc: Arizona
      #5581185 - 12/20/12 05:57 PM

Jim,

Can't wait -- we have our reservations made. I know of an additional 2 astronomers coming up with our RLD group. We should have about a dozen telescopes.

I'll use the links & get our offical astronomer registration to you in the next week or so.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: azpalmer]
      #5581202 - 12/20/12 06:07 PM

Thanks, Jim! Your other two additions have already chimed in and are on the list.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#5711293 - 03/03/13 07:34 PM

This is a reminder that it's about time to lock down plans to attend the 2013 edition
of the Grand Canyon Star Party. GCSP '13 is the 23nd annual collaboration between the National Park Service and astronomers from around North America to bring astronomy outreach to Park visitors. The event is held concurrently on both the North Rim, coordinated by the Saguaro Astronomy Club, and the South Rim, coordinated by TAAA. The level of public interest and involvement, and the opportunity to make major contributions to public education and awareness, is profound. And the visitors tend to disappear around 10:30 PM so personal observing objectives at 7000 feet and dark skies are available as long as you can stand it.

And Ed J. above has a great commercial for daytime activities.

For North Rim information, please see the link above.

For South Rim information, please see the South Rim link above or email me at link below.

To register as a volunteer for the South Rim, please send me an email at the link below.

One of our regular observers, Dr. Alan Delman, at the Grand Canyon Annular Eclipse, was building a solar filter at the Visitor Center when he was approached by a stranger who asked what was going on. He told him about the eclipse about to occur, and a public star party we were putting on afterward. Alan was asked, "You volunteers are working with the public at night as well?" to which he replied "Half the Park is After Dark". Little did Alan know he was talking to the new Park superintendent. Now I'm seeing that phrase pop up in Park publicity material.

Come join in for a great experience. And, more importantly, you never know what one life you'll touch.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#5711727 - 03/03/13 11:22 PM

Looking forward to it! Already booked!

Skylook123
Postmaster

#5713492 - 03/04/13 10:12 PM

It will be great to see you again, Kevin. I may have a Mallincam Jr. on the 10" by then. It is almost certain, unfortunately, that our three grandkids won't be able to join us this year - I'll have to actually work my scopes! Stephen, the 13 year old, came down from Colorado and helped me with three outreaches last month, including doing solar and night work at the Astronomy Magazine Tucson Star Party.

Sigh...without the two granddaughters(they have jobs now!) I'll be actually employed.

skyguy88
sage

Reged: 11/13/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5727160 - 03/11/13 11:45 PM

Hi Jim,

I would like to come up with my video system for a couple of days. Is there AC power available in the observing area and have you thought about establishing an isolation site for folks using video screens? Don't want to mess up anyone's night vision.

Any sign of ranger support?

Bill McDonald
Prescott

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: skyguy88]
      #5727305 - 03/12/13 01:31 AM

Hi Bill,

Oh, you'll love the answers. Not.

First, we have only ever had one person do non-eyeball at the eyepiece, a coworker of mine, and he only shows up about once every three years. However, he does pure imaging with a 9.25" Nexstar at sundown, then processes and links the image to the object on a planetarium display of the sky on a laptop. He does it with a boatload of batteries which he has not a clue how to correctly manage.

No A/C available. We are in a fairly remote parking lot and generators in the park other than the campground are not permitted, nor is it possible to get A/C the 300+ feet to the closest outlet because it is a single 30 amp service and with 70 powered scopes out there, the local safety folks don't want ANY wire/cable on the ground in the dark.

As far as isolation, we're pretty compressed but ad-hoc. Pretty easy to get there early enough and set up on an edge so if there is any glare, it's directed outward, or set up in the small permanent area at the north end, again facing away from the few big iron instruments we let stay set up for the duration. I have a 3M privacy screen on my monitor, and a CompuShade housing around it. Zero visibility outside of 15 degrees from straight on. This year, including you, we will have three video setups; mine and one other will be Mallincam Juniors. The other guy uses his a lot for outreach. Where I set up, and where the other guy will set up, easy for non-interference with other observers. I'll be using two scopes, and with luck my granddaughters will do the real work - an 18" Teeter, probably for purely visual, and the 10" SCT with the Junior. Visitor traffic only lasts for about two and a half hours, so with my two 35 AH deep cycles and an 800 watt inverter for the laptop, I should be able to go a couple of nights even though I recharge everything at night with a Battery Defender. Plus, the granddaughter that will run the 10" is in her fourth year with it, and she'd be happy if the laptop died. She's great with the visitors at the eyepiece and running the Atlas. And the other granddaughter who runs the 18", when I was in the hospital with pneumonia last fall and a 20% survival prediction, sent me a sweet email asking if she could just take the scope now. Sheesh.

If you'll be attentding, send me an email to the gcsp address below. That's how I automate sending out 100+ registration packages and keep track of things.

As far as ranger support, it is usually awesome but I just haven't had time to ping our lead Ranger, Marker Marshall, yet. Last year we had three full time Rangers (Marker, Mike Weaver, and the Interpretive Astronomy Ranger from Desert View) and four Ranger Aides to help, fantastic support. We volunteers may have to do a bit more than usual, like moving a sign or two around and setting up the day pylons, but we always did this at Yavapai and it only takes six or seven minutes. The last three years the rangers have been allowed to schedule their hours to support us through 11:30 PM, long after the last visitor has gone.

Send me an email to the gcsp address below, and you're in. And don't try to bring logic to the Federal Government; this is the largest National Park, and making anything happen is like herding cats or picking up mercury with a fork. They have a highly developed risk management process. BUT they cover us as National Park Service official volunteers for liability and medical, so we get what we get.

skyguy88
sage

Reged: 11/13/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5727372 - 03/12/13 02:43 AM

Actually, you've had one more. 5 or 6 years ago, We came up for one night with my gear. Set up way out of the way, by the base of the trail leading up to the point.

Had to put the TV on the ground because it was threatening to blow over and take the table with it. Chairs did blow over. Then the battery for my TV died after about 90 minutes. What really impressed me was that at the Yavapai Lodge there was no wind at all.

I think that I've heard that there is much less wind at the new site.

I'll have to think about power.

Bill

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: skyguy88]
      #5728534 - 03/12/13 04:32 PM

Ah, that was before I was coordinating the show; I barely knew what I had! I knew about Nick's setup only because I worked with him.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5773088 - 04/02/13 02:46 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

GCSP T-shirt design for 2013…

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party, June 8 - 15, 2013 new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #5774550 - 04/03/13 12:42 AM

Thanks, Joe. Hope you can join us this year.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11640

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics