Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Android astronomy logging app... StarLog.
      #5536364 - 11/23/12 10:10 PM

Found a nice astronomy logging app called StarLog in the Google PLay Store. It allows you to build database of your equipment and has a data base of NGC, Messier and solar system objects you can build observing lists from in the full version, or if you like you can import your own list form your favorite astronomy program on your pc or mac. The app gives you a multitude of information fields you can notate to and even has a voice recorder built into the full version. Once you're done you can export the log entries in several formats where you can digitally store them, import them into your astronomy software or print them out.

There are several versions. A free version that has basic logging capabilities to a paid full version of this app even works in conjunction with Skeye, another Android app that has virtual digital setting circles functionality. With this combination you are are able to bounce back and forth to use Skeye to help find objects and use StarLog to log the observations. Check it out at the link below

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jvc.starlog#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIx...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
Re: Android astronomy logging app... StarLog. new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5536602 - 11/24/12 02:36 AM

Thanks for the link.

Thomas Pfleger
Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

Reged: 04/25/06

Loc: Germany
      #5540173 - 11/26/12 11:43 AM

Wow, this is good news! As the initiator of the OpenAstronomyLog project, I'm highly pleased to see the first app leveraging this format. I wish that the developer(s) will some day also implement an import function for OAL, allowing us to take our log along and share observations just as it is possible with OAL-aware desktop software.

Thanks for the link and pointing us on this new app.

Tom

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Android astronomy logging app... StarLog. new [Re: Thomas Pfleger]
      #5541618 - 11/27/12 07:46 AM

I'll make a suggestion to the Dev. Bas is very open and responsive to App suggestions.

He and Harshad, Skeye developer, are working together to utilize each others apps. Harshad is going to try to implement using Starlog from Skeye directly in one of the upcoming updates to the pro version of Skeye as well.

What file format does OAL utilize to export lists?

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

Reged: 10/14/08

Loc: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
      #5541639 - 11/27/12 08:08 AM

Thank you for all the praise!

I didn't know that StarLog was the only app that uses the OAL format. I guess it's an unique selling point!

An OAL import is not scheduled at the moment, but that doesn't mean it can't be added.
I do have my doubts about the practical use of such an import though. As I understand it, OAL was developed to contain/record already made observations, not planned observations. Or am I wrong?

Thomas Pfleger

Re: Android astronomy logging app... StarLog. new [Re: Bas van Krieken]
      #5543558 - 11/28/12 10:25 AM

Hi Bas,

yes <OAL> is about observations that happened, not about planning.

However, an <OAL> file can hold the <target> elements with the object information for a number of objects - and not a single <observation> element. A program that imports such an <OAL> file can use it to insert imported objects into it's own data storage, in case they are not known already. Eye&Telescope uses this approach when users want to exchange object lists and it's likely that the receiver's database does not yet know some objects. This is a complement to an Eye&Telescope ETP (observing project) file that basically contains just a list of database primary keys. This makes it possible that you miss objects if the DB doesn't know of them.

Kind regards
Tom

Thomas Pfleger

#5543600 - 11/28/12 10:45 AM

Quote:

What file format does OAL utilize to export lists?

<OAL> is an XML based file format designed to exchange observations of deep sky objects, solar system objects and variable stars. Details are to be found here . It's intended for programmers who want to make it possible to exchange observations (and pure object data) across operating systems and programming languages. Currently it's uses by three desktop programm, one Android app (the new StarLog by Bas) and a PHP based web app hosted at www.deepskylog.org.

As a user, you will hardly ever look into an <OAL> file with a text editor. The "only" advantage of using <OAL> aware software is that you can share and exchange observations in flexible ways. One benefit of this XML based format is that programs can render text files or HTML files with the data, leveraging the standard XSLT technology. With knowledge of XSLT (not too easy, admitted...) users can even customize their log outputs without help by vendors.

<OAL> is a non profit effort by a group of developers who share the vision of a software world without barriers for interesting observational information. Compare <OAL> with ASCOM: both are not products for themselves, but they integrate components to achieve an added value. It's like passing along pictures as JPGs: you can be sure that the receiver can handle them.

Kind regards
Tom

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

Reged: 10/14/08

Loc: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Re: Android astronomy logging app... StarLog. new [Re: Thomas Pfleger]
      #5546911 - 11/30/12 10:18 AM

I'll have a look into importing just the target elements into an observation list. Shouldn't be to difficult (famous last words).

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 871

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics