Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Zodiacal Light new
      #5533965 - 11/22/12 01:24 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was out last night looking at M1 while waiting for Comet C/2012 K5 (LINEAR) to rise above the mountain and out of the soup. About 5:00 AM local time I figured that the comet would be high enough to observe and sketch and prepared to turn the scope around from the west to the NE (the comet is in Bootes).

When I turned around I saw a pillar of light rising almost straight up a good 60° above my observatory's eastern wall--the zodiacal light.

Fall is a good time to see this phenomenon but you'll need dark skies. It was very transparent this morning, too. Look about 90 minutes beore sunrise. Good luck!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Zodiacal Light new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5535206 - 11/23/12 10:31 AM

I have seen the zodiacal ligth as well. It is lovely and sometime puzzling if you don't know what it is! Thanks for sharing.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5535216 - 11/23/12 10:35 AM

Thanks for the report; how exciting these surprises are when we are observing!

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5535236 - 11/23/12 10:49 AM

The first time I was under skies that were dark enough to see the Zodiacal Light I didn't realize what I was seeing. I thought it was the funniest looking light dome I had ever seen. It was only later that I found out what it was.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Zodiacal Light new [Re: City Kid]
      #5535510 - 11/23/12 01:26 PM

At the Grand Canyon Star Party, the zodiacal light at sunset can be quite profound, looking like a roman candle or city light polution where no habitation exists. The high altitude really accentuates the effect. When I do constellation tours after sunset, it is easy to point out the zodiacal constellations right along the path of the light.

This time of year here it's a pre-sunrise phenomenon, but from early March to late June, its quite a show for about 90 minutes after sunset.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Zodiacal Light new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5535573 - 11/23/12 01:55 PM

You know that you're at a really dark site when you can see the gegenschein, and especially the elusive zodiacal band, as well.

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/highsky/zodim3.htm

Dave Mitsky

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Zodiacal Light new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5535586 - 11/23/12 02:03 PM

Nice link, Dave.

lintonius
sage

Reged: 12/13/05

Loc: south-central Utah
Re: Zodiacal Light [Re: Special Ed]
      #5536457 - 11/23/12 11:36 PM

Thanks for reminding me, Ed! I got a nice view of it around 3:30 to 4:00 last night, before Venus rose. I usually take a look out the upstairs windows, if I get up in the night for 'other matters', but Venus has been so dominant in the SE lately that I hadn't noticed yet.

It extended up to around Leo's underbelly and was bright enough for even my wife to notice. She thought it looked like a wizard's hat. I took advantage of her momentary interest and explained the phenomenon, the ecliptic, the plane of our solar system, and even our location in the Milky Way and how that effects our galactic view in the winter vs. the summer.
I have to get in as much as I can when I have her attention! She does really enjoy our dark sky here in southern Utah - nearly as much as I do!
Linton

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 442

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics