Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: kurat]
      #5503167 - 11/03/12 11:09 PM

Quote:

The ipad mini can replace an entire car in dash sound and mapping, for 329 bucks, its cost effective, Im assuming a-lot of people are going to do it, so be prepared to be, read-ended, side swiped and make sure the front airbags are ready for the head on, so you don't get killed while somebody is driving and using the word processor.

Perhaps there is a fortune to be made for the person or company that develops a HUD solution for the iPad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5503471 - 11/04/12 06:54 AM

Spent an hour or so last night using SF with the Mini. Used Sky Commander and SkyFi. Everything worked like a charm. Compared to my 2nd Gen Touch, I couldn't believe how much smoother the pointer worked as I slewed the scope. Really couldn't detect much (if any!) lag or jerky motion like happened fairly often with my older Touch. Not sure why the improvement. Possibly more horsepower with the newer tablet. The Mini's screen size seemed just fine and fit nicely on my observing table (stalk).

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Chucky]
      #5503823 - 11/04/12 12:02 PM

Quote:

Spent an hour or so last night using SF with the Mini. Used Sky Commander and SkyFi. Everything worked like a charm. Compared to my 2nd Gen Touch, I couldn't believe how much smoother the pointer worked as I slewed the scope. Really couldn't detect much (if any!) lag or jerky motion like happened fairly often with my older Touch. Not sure why the improvement. Possibly more horsepower with the newer tablet. The Mini's screen size seemed just fine and fit nicely on my observing table (stalk).

Chucky
Does the Ipad Mini have GPS capabilty? I think the wifi only version does not include it?
Thanks.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: ewave]
      #5504015 - 11/04/12 02:29 PM

WiFI Mini has no GPS

kurat

Reged: 05/07/08

#5504445 - 11/04/12 07:36 PM

The cellular and gps version is scheduled to be released later this month according to apples site, I currently own a iPhone 5 and iPad 3, I don't see myself shelling out anymore money for a while, I have the iPhone mounted on one of my refractors and using skysafari as my manual goto aid, and it works very well, I can see myself purchasing a mini down the road and doing the same thing, to me, the mini is just the right size.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Reged: 10/11/04

Loc: Bay Area, California
      #5504750 - 11/04/12 11:02 PM

No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: snorkler]
      #5505002 - 11/05/12 07:11 AM

<< No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks. >>

Pros and Cons of both to say the least. I bought a Mini thinking SF would run more consistently with future upgrades, and Apple has so many more top quality apps designed to run on their tablets...including the Mini. I could care less about GPS and the screen looks just fine for the apps I plan to run.....primarily SF connected to several telescopes.

As for the premium one would pay.....again to me it's worth it to reduce problems down the road with SF upgrades (they always seem to battle with Android), and have tons more tablet designed apps available at my fingertips (275,000 specifically designed for the iPad -- and the largest collection of music available in one place, 1.5 million iBooks).

But the good news is that we customers have choices...many....and that's not all bad!

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: snorkler]
      #5505225 - 11/05/12 10:47 AM

Quote:

No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks.

A small dollar amount for something that works correctly all time, more software, ah-hoc networking with SkySafari, with solid and exquisite build quality?

I'll be buying the iPad.

tjspelich

Reged: 09/12/09

Loc: Bella Vista, AR
      #5505572 - 11/05/12 03:08 PM

I have the same problem with my 2nd Gen Touch. What I have found is that is becomes fairly slow in the screen touch response I power cycle the iPod completely and the problem goes away for awhile. I just figure it is the older iOS (4.2.1) I have to use.
Tim

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: tjspelich]
      #5505671 - 11/05/12 04:36 PM

<< I have the same problem with my 2nd Gen Touch. >> Just doesn't seem to have the horsepower to avoid lags when moving the telescope.

Chucky
sage

#5505681 - 11/05/12 04:43 PM

Compared side by side yesterday an Ipad 3 next to the Mini (SkySafari). Yes charts present a bit smaller images, text, lines, etc. for the same chart coverage, however, it's not all that much smaller. Mini's views will be totally ok for use outside with a scope. And the Mini fits nicely into the Dark Skies Apparel observing vest pockets which is kind of neat. In fact, it fits almost like the vest was made for it.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Reged: 10/11/04

Loc: Bay Area, California
      #5505908 - 11/05/12 08:02 PM

If only the Apple experience was as perfect as it's perceived to be. Those of us familiar with computers and programming know the experience is often a bumpy road.

From tech radar.com, "And Wi-Fi connectivity isn't the only problem you can get with an iPad. There are issues with backing up and syncing, oddball ghost apps, seemingly random jerky performance, and more."

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5506105 - 11/05/12 10:36 PM

Quote:

And the Mini fits nicely into the Dark Skies Apparel observing vest pockets which is kind of neat. In fact, it fits almost like the vest was made for it.

I went to re-check my DSA vest. Don't know how I missed it the first time (probably measured the upper pocket) but the lower left pocket is perfect! I won't need to remove any stitching.

Chucky
sage

#5506384 - 11/06/12 07:04 AM

<< experience was as perfect as >>

Nothing in life is perfect.

deepskytraveler

Reged: 12/25/05

Loc: Worthington, OH
      #5507417 - 11/06/12 07:11 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Here's a photo of Chucky's iPad Mini resting securely in one of the lower pockets of my Dark Skies Apparel hooded observing vest. Incredibly it is a perfect fit.

-Mark

Edited by deepskytraveler (11/06/12 07:19 PM)

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: deepskytraveler]
      #5508064 - 11/07/12 09:06 AM

Mark, just double-checked to make sure I didn't leave my Mini at your house last Saturday. I know you want one!

kurat

Reged: 05/07/08

#5508969 - 11/07/12 08:16 PM

Quote:

<<
As for the premium one would pay.....again to me it's worth it to reduce problems down the road with SF upgrades (they always seem to battle with Android), and have tons more tablet designed apps available at my fingertips (275,000 specifically designed for the iPad -- and the largest collection of music available in one place, 1.5 million iBooks).

But the good news is that we customers have choices...many....and that's not all bad!

Don't feel bad for spending a little more money, I paid a premium for the iPhone 5, $799 + 13% tax =$902.87, for the luxury of having no contract, a 10% total rate plan savings (I don't think the carriers in the U.S offer this) and the fact when I do some traveling, I can purchase prepaid sims for the country Im in since the phone is unlocked.

Sure I could have paid $299 and be locked into a 3 year contract (yes 3 years in Canada), and have to submit to every thing the carriers contract tells me to do, as a matter of fact, since I own the phone outright, I can change to different rate plans when ever I want, you may be thinking can I make things more efficient, because if I went for the contract, how long would it take to pay off the $400, or how much does the damn phone really cost?, also it makes you wonder, is the carrier really subsidizing the phone, or are you paying off a loan where you have no idea what the interest rate is, or how much of the phone is actually getting paid off each month, and this is why I like to own my stuff outright.

Its not that bad when you have to pay extra for something you like or for contractual freedom.

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5513174 - 11/10/12 01:06 PM

I use SkySafari Pro and SkyFi hooked up to my Meade controller and use the iPad mini to surf the night sky. It works like magic. Use the LXD75 protocol and Equatorial settings on Sky Safari Pro for the LX 80. I love the size of the mini and it fits in my pocket. Loving this combo. Also got it working on my 18" Obsession.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow [Re: Chucky]
      #5536812 - 11/24/12 08:46 AM

Quote:

Anyone else getting the Mini?

I took the plunge yesterday for wifi/cellular model 32GB. I'll be using it with SkyFi to drive my ServoCAT Dob.

With Apple's Black Friday price on the regular base model it was a harder decision, but size and weight won out. The Mini will be much more manageable at the top of a Dob ladder. Half the weight and fits easily into either my parka or Dark Sky Apparel observing vest pockets.

It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. But it's so good for the economy when you buy everything twice, and this economy needs all the help it can get.

Chucky
sage

#5537459 - 11/24/12 04:10 PM

<< It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. >>

Jeff, I highly doubt it'll make that much difference just using the Mini at night with a scope. The current screen is very adequate for such use.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4809

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics