Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Another interesting read from my friend, Neil...
      #5537754 - 11/24/12 07:49 PM

English.

Neil's third installment in Sir Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series from Springer.

This time Neil discusses Classic Telescopes: A Guide to Collecting, Restoring and Using Telescopes of Yesteryear. Much of the volume is devoted to the evolution of the author's (and my) favorite design; refractors. There also is an interesting discussion of glass type cooling properties. Despite a slight refractor emphasis, there are very interesting sections on reflectors and catadioptrics as well. The volume concludes with a section on restoration and maintenance of vintage telescopes.

Highly recommended.

- Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
7331Peg
Sirius Observer

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: North coast of Oregon
Re: Another interesting read from my friend, Neil... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5546590 - 11/30/12 01:57 AM

I've been reading through Neil's book for the past few days and am impressed with it as well. Besides the sections Jim refers to on optics, there is one heck of a lot of history here as well -- not only of telescopes, but of the key individuals of the 18th and 17th centuries as well.

It's a perfect book for a cold, rainy, winter night. Pour a cup or a glass of something warm, sit back and get comfortable, and read until dawn.

John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 538

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics