Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
Kildar13x

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Maine
First look at Andromeda new
      #5537315 - 11/24/12 02:24 PM

For some reason I haven't taken a look at Andromeda before the other night and it was an awesome sight! In my C6 there wasn't mush detail but a bright core surrounded by fuzzyness but it was a cool sight nonetheless.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: First look at Andromeda new [Re: Kildar13x]
      #5537343 - 11/24/12 02:50 PM

Tought to get M31 in a SCT scope . You really need to be able to get down to about 30x to get the full view .

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: First look at Andromeda new [Re: starrancher]
      #5537647 - 11/24/12 06:32 PM

M31 is one of those large bright objects that can be seen even with a good amount of light pollution, so I think that most of us settle for that view. I have had memorable views of this galaxy with many telescopes but the one that blew my socks off was the view I had with my small 2.6-inch AT-66 semi-APO or ED refractor. I was viewing from a dark sky site on the Blue Ridge Parkway in western NC (a blue zone) with a 13mm Neglar T6 eyepiece, giving a magnification of 27x and a true field-of-view of 02 deg. 40 min.. Wow! The galaxy extended across the whole field-of-view and both dust lanes were visible with direct vision. Never saw that in my 10-inch dob. The dark sky, wide field-of-view and low magnification were the hot ticket for me.

The moral is get to a trully dark site and use your lowest magnification, largest field of view for this very large galaxy.

Kildar13x

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Maine
Re: First look at Andromeda new [Re: blb]
      #5537748 - 11/24/12 07:40 PM

Ya I can't wait to get out again and take another look. My last time out I was in a yellow zone right next to the Poland Spring bottling plant. There is a huge dome of light that surrounds it but it has a great wide field of view which is hard to come by up here without trespassing I am going to hopefully if weather permits, go up to my dark site farther north and take another look.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: First look at Andromeda [Re: Kildar13x]
      #5537786 - 11/24/12 08:16 PM

Andromeda will show something to someone virtually anywhere with a scope. In my experience with 8" and better than mag 6 sky's you get two dust lanes at roughly 50-70x and one dustlane with 6" but that's aliased claim because it can be bypassed with the right magnification and/or sky quality. You ought to be able to pick off a few of the brighter globulars tho they will stellar appearing. Still its a wild sense of satisfaction in doing it.

Pete

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 505

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics