Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1
operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Black lunar x?
      #5537810 - 11/24/12 08:35 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Last April 27, I was observing the moon with friends, and one of my neighbors shot some video through my scope using an iphone. Some time later I told her that I was looking at the "lunar x" (the usual one..werner) and she replied "you mean the one that night we observed together". Well, the Werner X wasn't visible that night, so I thought she was seeing things, until I looked at her video, and there it was, an "x" plain as day, only dark, not light.
Can anyone identify the "x" for me, or at least the surrounding craters? I've tried, but without success so far. This would have been around the 6th day of lunation.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
67champ
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Black lunar x? new [Re: operascope]
      #5538568 - 11/25/12 11:32 AM

I'm thinking southern limb, maybe near Clavius or that immediate area... Search for 6 day old moon phase images on the internet; I bet you will find it.

dana t

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Black lunar x? new [Re: 67champ]
      #5539406 - 11/25/12 08:54 PM

Well... There's really no "X" at all on the moon but the one Werner imagined and the folks who join in on inventing it. With all the real things on the moon that aren't made up its a mystery to me why this interest persists. If it were some kind of fault or unusual shaped thing it'd be captivating but it's merely a cluster of craters among many clusters and still more shapes and symbols than an X.

I know it's got a following here and Godbless anything that draws attention to this place but there's so much more to it than that, ie; domes, catena, rima, flows, faults, central peaks, terraced walls, forensic crater formation study, the list goes on. The X really isn't there I'm trying to say.

Ok I'm ducking.

Pete

Hazel

Reged: 10/29/12

Re: Black lunar x? new [Re: operascope]
      #5609539 - 01/07/13 12:41 AM

That's very interesting. I found this link ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacemike/7122856291/sizes/l/in/photostream/ )which has an image of the moon on the date you noted (27 April 2012). I tried to find a crater and shadows like in your image. Look closely at Maurolycus -- I may be wrong but I believe I can see an X on the edge of the great walled plain (which looks very similar to your image). I checked Rukl's atlas and could not see any obvious formations that could lead to shadows in the shape of an X with a low sun, but it's difficult to tell that way. I will definitely be checking out Maurolycus next time it sits near the terminator (and it's not a cloudy night!).

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Black lunar x? new [Re: Hazel]
      #5613280 - 01/09/13 08:29 AM

I'm pretty sure your right that it's Maurolycus...there are 5 craters, starting with Maurolycus F on the rim, which form a rough cross, especially when they are still mostly in shadow.

I suspect that it stood out a bit more because of the low resolution of the video she took, but I'll be looking for this again for sure.

Thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics