Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Heavens Above
sage

Reged: 01/25/09

Loc: Bristol, UK
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: chrisg]
      #5526378 - 11/18/12 03:55 PM

I use the EPL and have been told this is the highest quality version. I love mine. I buy other eyepieces but always come back to these.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrisg
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Heavens Above]
      #5531173 - 11/20/12 10:21 PM

Does anybody have a source where these can be converted to 1.25" relatively cheaply?

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5535552 - 11/23/12 01:45 PM

Quote:

I recently tried a pair of the current Zeiss 16mm eps and they were not of the same performance level. But that is another story....

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am interested in your experience with the current Zeiss 16mm. Are you referring to that one?

Stephan

Space Dragon

Reged: 02/19/12

Loc: Scotland UK
      #5535579 - 11/23/12 01:58 PM

Quote:

Does anybody have a source where these can be converted to 1.25" relatively cheaply?

APM- 50 Euro each
Precise Parts- $35 each
35mm Film cannister-Free

chrisg
sage

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Space Dragon]
      #5535819 - 11/23/12 04:16 PM

Thanks - as I found, using the 35mm canister is easy and totally works. I don't feel like I'm missing any precision by using these. What I didn't realize - the lip of the canister is just wide enough to catch around the 1.25" hole, so height isn't too important. Very nice, just purchased the PL 10x/18's..

Space Dragon

Reged: 02/19/12

Loc: Scotland UK
      #5535955 - 11/23/12 05:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks - as I found, using the 35mm canister is easy and totally works. I don't feel like I'm missing any precision by using these. What I didn't realize - the lip of the canister is just wide enough to catch around the 1.25" hole, so height isn't too important. Very nice, just purchased the PL 10x/18's..

I have the PL 10x/18 as well. Mine came with a reticle crosshair pointer which sat across the field stop in the plastic barrel.
I decided to remove this glass and then also took out the fieldstop to the ID of the barrel, which is 25mm.
The edge performance isn't perfect but I prefer the wider field and no vignetting in my Earthwins.
Mileage may vary, of course.
I like the fit of the 35mm film cans as well, no movement or rotation, with a length of electrical tape around the barrel.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5537095 - 11/24/12 11:34 AM

Hi Thomas,

The webpage of APM-Telescopes lists 9 different Zeiss Astro Eyepieces 1 1/4".
According Markus Ludes, all are made in China now.

7 of them are 25mm eyepieces. Depending on the model, they are priced EUR 215.00 - EUR 1,539.00 each. Wow, that is an impressive price range. Choosing the right one is a hard task.

Thomas, could you provide me with any suggestions on the best suited 25mm e.p. model for observations with a 150mm f/7.3 APO refractor / Baader FFC / Baader Mark V binoviewer combination?

Stephan

suburbanskies
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5537230 - 11/24/12 01:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I recently tried a pair of the current Zeiss 16mm eps and they were not of the same performance level. But that is another story....

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am interested in your experience with the current Zeiss 16mm. Are you referring to that one?

Stephan

Dear Stephan,

Yes, I was referring to this eyepiece. I had a pair for binoviewer (Baader Mark V) use with a Baader FFC, prism and f/9 refractor operating at ~f/36. The problem I had was that on Mars, there were sharp reflections radiating from the planet. However, the seller did not experience this issue and kindly agreed to take the eyepieces back. It is a shame because these eyepieces were very well manufactured, with smooth diopter adjustment.

The other issue that may be important to some users (not for me because I mostly use for planetary at f/36) was that edge of field was very bad at f/9. Lots of aberrations starting at 50% from the center. At f/11, it was much better and good enough for me, but probably not good enough for some people.

Mark

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5537312 - 11/24/12 02:23 PM

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your feedback, highly appreciated.
Too bad that the 16mm's did not work well for you, and great that the seller was kind enough to take them back.

I am a strictly binoviewer observer, using a 6" f/7.3 APO refractor in combination with a Baader Mark V and the FFC set at ~f/33. Our equipment is quite similar, so I would expect to see the same reflection issue as experienced by you with the 16mm.
Too bad, because the 16mm focal length looked very atractive to me, but the reported reflection issue on Mars makes them a no-go to me.

Stephan

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5537455 - 11/24/12 04:05 PM

Hi Stephan

Quote:

7 of them are 25mm eyepieces. Depending on the model, they are priced EUR 215.00 - EUR 1,539.00 each. Wow, that is an impressive price range. Choosing the right one is a hard task.

Thomas, could you provide me with any suggestions on the best suited 25mm e.p. model for observations with a 150mm f/7.3 APO refractor / Baader FFC / Baader Mark V binoviewer combination?

Not an easy question to answer, since I haven't tried any of the eyepieces shown. The ones I use, and can highly recommend, are these:

http://www.bw-optik.de/katalog/bilder/zeiss_oberknochen.jpg

I can guarantee that they are in a class all by themselves. Totally outstanding. There's an error in the ad page shown, where they are listed as 27mm focal length, but they are 25mm.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#5537498 - 11/24/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

Hi Stephan

Quote:

Not an easy question to answer, since I haven't tried any of the eyepieces shown. The ones I use, and can highly recommend, are these:

http://www.bw-optik.de/katalog/bilder/zeiss_oberknochen.jpg

I can guarantee that they are in a class all by themselves. Totally outstanding. There's an error in the ad page shown, where they are listed as 27mm focal length, but they are 25mm.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Ok, thank you, Thomas!

Stephan

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5537887 - 11/24/12 09:34 PM

Thomas do you know where those can be purchased?

chrisg
sage

#5564192 - 12/10/12 01:25 PM

Astrojensen - Are you using a barlow to achieve higher magnification with these rather than using your short focal length eyepieces? If so, which barlow are you using and could you describe how these perform better than your shorter length lenses?

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5564286 - 12/10/12 02:31 PM

Hi Chris

When I use my 25mm Zeiss'es on my Maxbright binoviewer, I use the Baader GPCs to achieve higher magnifications. I have the 1.25x, 1.5x and 2.6x GPC and the 1.7x coma correcting GPC for newtonians. I can stack them and use extension tubes (not with the CC-GPC) to get higher magnfications. I also have a normal 2x GSO barlow, but it is not of the same quality as the Baader GPCs.

The advantage of using a rather long focal length eyepiece on a binoviewer combined with a barlow lens for high magnifications, compared to short focal length eyepieces, are manyfold. The chief advantage is that the collimation tolerances of a 25mm eyepiece with a 5x barlow in front of the binoviewer is five times less than a 5mm eyepiece and no barlow. This makes for relaxed viewing and easy merging. The longer eye relief and large eye lenses (28mm wide!) of the long focal length eyepieces also makes viewing very relaxed. It feels like looking out a window. The longer f/ratio of the light path that goes through the binoviewer prisms also introduce much less spherical aberration and false color than a faster f/ratio. The longer the better. Long focal length eyepieces are also inherently much easier to make with great precision than short focal length ones, so there are big advantages here as well.

All of this boils down to very relaxed, ultra high quality views. Sometimes I check the seeing with a pair of shorter focal length eyepieces, such as my 10mm GSO Superviews, but if the seeing is good and merit a longer view, out comes the 2.6x GPC, which turns the 25mm's into a pair of 9.6mm eyepieces with great eye relief. Of maybe the 1.5x GPC and extension tube, turning them into 13.1mm eyepieces, if the seeing can't support higher magnifications. I've got lots and lots of options with the GPCs.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

chrisg
sage

#5565072 - 12/10/12 11:05 PM

Thanks Thomas!
I was thinking of using a 1.7gpc (because I only have this one) with either a 4x or 5x powermate to catch a view of Jupiter. Would you say these eyepieces could support such a set up or am I pushing it? I'm asking because I just purchased a set of these lenses and I could clearly see that they're extremely sharp and contrasty! Or maybe I'm better off with a set of 16mm Brandons and barlowing my way down from there!

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5565379 - 12/11/12 03:39 AM

The eyepieces can take any amount of barlowing you can throw at them! It's the scope that'll give up first! Remember that with a 120mm scope, you only have so much light. I usually stop my 6" refractor down to 125mm when observing Jupiter and I find that a magnification of 120x is usually the best. A 4x Powermate and 25mm eyepieces will give 144x and by then Jupiter is starting to get a bit dim. But do try it and see what you find. It will be excellent for objects with high surface brightness, such as the Jovian satellites and the Moon. Saturn will also be superb.

The best way to find wisdom in these matters is to do a lot of experiments.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #5565513 - 12/11/12 08:21 AM

I've pushed my Burgess Binoviewer and a pair of SA LER 6mm eyepieces on my 10" f/4.8 Dob up to 600x with good results. This was for Mars when it was at about 7 arcsec and smaller last Spring. But for Jupiter I usually keep the power down to about 300x or less.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #5565521 - 12/11/12 08:33 AM

Thomas,

Quote:

I usually stop my 6" refractor down to 125mm when observing Jupiter and I find that a magnification of 120x is usually the best. A 4x Powermate and 25mm eyepieces will give 144x and by then Jupiter is starting to get a bit dim. But do try it and see what you find. It will be excellent for objects with high surface brightness, such as the Jovian satellites and the Moon. Saturn will also be superb.

Why stop down the 6" refractor? Does it have edge aberrations? If Jupiter seems too bright, there are better ways to solve that problem than stopping down the aperture. I would never give up aperture unless it's to cover up some defect at the edge of the mirror or objective, such as a turned edge. If Jupiter appears bright in a 6" telescope, I really think that the observer's eyes are not properly adjusted for observing planets.

Mike

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5565621 - 12/11/12 09:48 AM

Quote:

Why stop down the 6" refractor? Does it have edge aberrations?

Yes. It has quite a bad case of turned down edge. 125mm is the max before it shows up, determined with a ronchi grating.

Quote:

If Jupiter seems too bright, there are better ways to solve that problem than stopping down the aperture. I would never give up aperture unless it's to cover up some defect at the edge of the mirror or objective, such as a turned edge. If Jupiter appears bright in a 6" telescope, I really think that the observer's eyes are not properly adjusted for observing planets.

I agree and you're going to be happy when I tell you that I now usually observe Jupiter with a 12" dob, not stopped down. I really like the big, bright images. I am usually at 160x with it, via a 2.6x GPC and my 25mm Zeiss'es.

Thomas, Denmark

denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
      #5879837 - 05/23/13 09:34 AM

Here are my 25mm Zeiss Aspherics E-PL eyepieces 10x/20, cant wait to test them

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15013

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics