Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5533726 - 11/22/12 10:49 AM

Short answer, IMO absolutely yes!. I'm a bit disabled and it makes all the difference. As David posted, it may be the best $$ you spend in the hobby, that is how I feel. I also in an LP city environment. Amazingly a neighbor about 2 blocks away saw mine and now has his own - his is much nicer.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomo
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/14/10

Loc: Shelby Twp, Mi
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5533733 - 11/22/12 10:54 AM

Having a dome is the best decision I made. It allows instant access and increase my time under stars 10x easily.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5534554 - 11/22/12 10:25 PM

Quote:

Short answer, IMO absolutely yes!. I'm a bit disabled and it makes all the difference. As David posted, it may be the best $$ you spend in the hobby, that is how I feel. I also in an LP city environment. Amazingly a neighbor about 2 blocks away saw mine and now has his own - his is much nicer.

I had to chuckle just a little when I read your post saying your neighbor's obs was nicer than yours. Mine is as spartan as it gets. It's painted nicely and looks nice on the outside, but if you were to remove the astrohardware and the carpeting, my obs interior would be no different than a typical garden shed. However, it's water tight and has withstood three hurricanes. Besides, when all is going well, I don't spend a lot of time in it. I imaged M45 last night and it took about 20 minutes to start exposing. I went out a little over two hours later, made some flats and bias frames and came in and went to bed.

If I had to tear stuff down and move it into the house, I'd have been out there a LOT longer. If you're so inclined, build yourself an obs.

David

Dan McConaughy
sage

Reged: 11/11/06

Loc: LA
Re: Is it worth establishing an observatory? [Re: Jeff B]
      #5537953 - 11/24/12 10:23 PM

Absolutely. It's no more than a 5 minute setup to observe and shut down, which includes covering the mount and OTA with a couple sheets to minimize dust on them. If you have guests over to observe, you should get something like the 11.5' observatory as it will hold a large cassegrain and several people. I live outside Los Angeles; so it's probably darker where you are.

Edited by Dan McConaughy (11/24/12 10:26 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3685

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics