Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Haus of glass - new born.
      #5538283 - 11/25/12 05:17 AM Attachment (82 downloads)

In the early hours of this morning, a new family member arrived in the form of a 100mm f/13 Carton lens build.
I've always had an interest in this lens, so went and built a scope just to check it out.

Going to put it up against my Chinese made Sky-watcher scopes. My 120mm f/8.3 and 150mm f/8 will be fitted with
a 100mmm aperture mask, really looking forward to the results.
Also got a Tak 102mm f/8 APO to add into the mix.
Here a couple of pictures, more pictures of the scope build and be found in the ATM forum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Haus of glass - new born. new [Re: Rutilus]
      #5538285 - 11/25/12 05:18 AM Attachment (53 downloads)

another.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5538353 - 11/25/12 07:54 AM

Very nice!

Bill

Jeronimo Cruz
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Haus of glass - new born. new [Re: la200o]
      #5538500 - 11/25/12 10:37 AM

Great job!

Why are the rings so thick? Do they rotate? Also, is that a mod to your mount? It looks like a WO+TV alt/az hybrid. How well does it work?

SAL
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/13/03

Re: Haus of glass - new born. new [Re: Jeronimo Cruz]
      #5538516 - 11/25/12 10:49 AM

Beautiful scope!

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Haus of glass - new born. new [Re: SAL]
      #5538623 - 11/25/12 12:08 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.
Jeronimo - With the tube cradle being made from wood, I
wanted the glueing area for the dovetail bar bracket to be as large as possible.
To save money I just used a piece of wood that was in the workshop. The rings don,t rotate, but the scope does.

If the scope turns out to be a stunner, then at some point I will buy some proper metal tube rings.

The mod on the mount has a spring within the handle for adjusting the tension. Works well, and in the dark I often find it easier to use.

While the whole scope is twice the length of my Tak 102mm f/8 they are both virtually identical in weight.

Just set the lens up and been doing some daytime viewing, the lens has given a nice sharp image. Just about to take it out to look at the moon.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

#5539018 - 11/25/12 04:04 PM

Well, after 7 hours of totally clear sky today, it's now cloudy. However I did manage some observing.

The star test looks very good, I did suspect a very, very, small amount of over-correction in the lens.
On double stars the scope takes high magnification very well.
At 260x, Vega displayed a very nice Airy disc which had
a yellow tint in colour. A very small amount of C.A. was present around the star.
Epsilon Lyrae was wonderful at 130x, and the companion of Delta Cygni showed at 200x.

Moving onto the moon, a very thin blue fringe was visibleround the edge. Sharpness and contrast are excellent.
Using binoviewers at 148x, I easily observed four of the white craterlet markings in Plato.
Mare Frigoris displyed hues of olive and brown.

Sadly I was not able to observe Jupiter due to the cloud.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

#5544235 - 11/28/12 05:11 PM

Now had more time using the Carton. The lens does show a very small amount of over-correction,
I've read two other reports/reviews on the net and the owners report the same thing.
However if you are considering the purchase of a lens, then don't let that put you off, for this is one very impressive piece of glass.

The views of double stars in this scope are sublime, right up there with my TSA 102. Tonight the companion of
Delta Cygni was easily seen sitting on the edge of an extremely delicate first diffraction ring at 130x power.
While observing the doubles I've taken the power up to 525x.

On the past two occassions Jupiter has shown nice detail at 148x in binoviewers. I've been really impressed
by the tiny amount of C.A. seen around Jupiter and the jet black background. Festoons and detail in the
Equatorial zone along with belt detail was good for a 4 incher.

The highlight tonight was observing the full Moon.
The lens has superb contrast and crispness. An extremely small amount of C.A. is visible running around the limb edge.
The moon was seen (almost 3D like) against a pure black background. Features on the surface were excellent.
Colouration hues visible, ranging from fawn to light brown, olive, greys of different intensity and noticeable blue/grey.
The view of Lunar tonight in the Carton easily matched that of my 80mm f/7 triplet and Tak APO.

For several decades I used some very nice Achro's from Towa to Vixen, but I have to say that the Carton seems
to be a notch above the views I had in my previous Japanese made Achro's.

One very impressive lens.

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 869

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics