Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Ken J

Reged: 11/22/12

how does this work new
      #5538456 - 11/25/12 10:01 AM

hey I bought a 6" Edmond telescope at an auction. I thinks it a reflector. mirror at one end eye piece at the other. tells what I know about telescopes. But I always had a want to have one. It came with a few different books but no manual.I have a Sirius PlossL 17 mm eye piece also an Orion OR12.5mm and a Orion 2x-3x Barlow lens. how do these go together or am I missing parts
thanks
Ken

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: how does this work new [Re: Ken J]
      #5538471 - 11/25/12 10:16 AM

I would suggest you goog;e something like "how a reflecting telescope works" to get some basic info. Then try it out. The eyepieces go in the focuser and the shorter the focial length (number in millimeters) on the eyepiece the higher the magnification. Right now the moon is near full and visible all night -- would be a good first target for getting acquainted with your scope.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: how does this work new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5538496 - 11/25/12 10:35 AM

You can probably also Google for a manual. See if you can find a model number on it or post an image here. Great advise to practice with the Moon, it'll even be up a little before dark tonight so some practice in the daylight would be a good idea too. The best views will be along the line between dark and light on the Moon. If that all works out look at that bright light rising in the East just after dark.

Al

ps welcome to Cloudy Nights AND Astronomy

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: how does this work new [Re: Ken J]
      #5538501 - 11/25/12 10:39 AM

Ken, Welcome to Cloudy Nights! You've come to the right place to get help with your scope! The members here are eager to assist you, so that you can start enjoying your scope.

Here's a link with a drawing of a reflector telescope, showing and naming the different parts of it. This may help you a little to get familiar with it.

Link

The barlow is used to magnify the view. You would insert it in the focuser first, then an eyepiece. I would suggest getting used to the eyepieces first, then try the barlow.

Please let us know how you're doing! Also, if you could, we'd love seeing a photo of your scope!

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: how does this work new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5538992 - 11/25/12 03:47 PM

Start with the 17mm eyepiece - that's your lowest power. The 12.5 will be a medium power eyepiece, and the barlow is used to either double (2x) or triple (3x) the power of your two eyepieces.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: how does this work new [Re: SteveG]
      #5539116 - 11/25/12 05:06 PM

A trip to your local library and a request for help to the reference librarian there should get you started with some elementary books about using telescopes and viewing the night sky.

Phil

thomas68
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/25/11

Loc: North west Indiana
Re: how does this work new [Re: Phil Sherman]
      #5539176 - 11/25/12 06:00 PM

Welcome,try U-tube there are some good videos.

Tom

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: how does this work [Re: mich_al]
      #5539193 - 11/25/12 06:15 PM

Quote:

If that all works out look at that bright light rising in the East just after dark.

Al

WELL PHRASED! Quoted for emphasis

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 326

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics