Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
madscientist
sage

Reged: 11/26/07

Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new
      #5530459 - 11/20/12 03:41 PM

Hi guys.

I just picked up this scope for $40 US at a yard sale just down the street from my house. The optical assembly is in great condition. It is even collimated. However, the cradle has suffered water damage and it really is non salvageable. I told the lady that I would only take the optical tube since the cradle really was falling apart. The scope had been kept in the garage since her son went to college earlier this fall but heavy rain had flooded the garage and severely affected the base of the scope. The tube, on the other hand, remained in excellent shape and was unaffected by the water. Do you guys know where I can purchase the cradle separately from the telescope? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: madscientist]
      #5530503 - 11/20/12 03:55 PM

It will be next to impossible to find a replacement base.
I would just build a new simple base out of 3/4" plywood.

madscientist
sage

Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5530514 - 11/20/12 03:59 PM

Thanks. Any ideas on how to get started on that? I am not very handy when it comes to working with wood.

GpB311
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #5530524 - 11/20/12 04:03 PM

Luckily, a dob base can be a very simple design depending on what requirements/restrictions you desire or need. Ive never made one myself, but Id start by searching the atm forum for dob base projects.

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
      #5530535 - 11/20/12 04:08 PM

you should have took the base so you could of used it as a template, would have made things simpler and you could have reused the rubber feet and maybe even the center bolt and teflon bearings off it.

building on from scratch is pretty simple. you can just build it all square to make it easier and the only curved part you would need to cut is the alt bearings where the scope sits on top of the base. check out photos of the scope on the net to give you some ideas and if you need more specific info i can take photos of parts of my XT8 base. they are the same except for the width the side panels that hold the OTA are apart distance wise is different (i had an XT6 before i got the XT8)

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: GpB311]
      #5530539 - 11/20/12 04:13 PM

I'd also just make my own. Pickup a sheet of good 3/4" Finish Grade Birch Ply; obtain the existing base if it's still available and simply trace out the patterns of each piece, copying both the pattern and connection points. Another option is to make your own pattern; a good place to start would be the book Build Your Own Telescope from Richard Berry. For uncommon hardware such as bearing material, checkout AstroSystems.biz, and of course ScopeStuff for the Ebony Star azimuth rings.

Those over in the ATM Forum would have lots of good tips too.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5530549 - 11/20/12 04:18 PM

If you are not comfortable with woodworking; there are plenty of people who are, who could cut the pieces for you for a reasonalble price. Just about any carpenter; a furniture/cabinet maker, even the average "handyman". You would be surprised at how many would take on the work....

Edited by csrlice12 (11/20/12 04:19 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5530557 - 11/20/12 04:21 PM

Just another suggestion: Contact your local Astronomy Society; I'm certain this isn't the first time they will have been asked if there is anybody around who could do the work...

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
      #5531055 - 11/20/12 09:13 PM

Contact Mark Wagner at Astrogoods.

http://www.astrogoods.com/index.html

On the home page is a picture of an aftermarket mount that he made for my XT8

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: BDS316]
      #5531272 - 11/20/12 11:09 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

I have tracings of the pieces to an XT6 stock base. I made them before shipping the original pieces to another ATMer.

You have gotten a great deal and now have a great opportunity to make this scope uniquely yours.

Look up pictures of bases I've made for different dobs. They are in my gallery here on CN. I've included one example from my Z12. Good luck!

Edited by kfiscus (11/20/12 11:14 PM)

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
      #5531282 - 11/20/12 11:14 PM

dobbstuff.com has kits for ATM.

http://www.dobstuff.com/lbrockerbox.htm

While the cost is probably more than you want to spend, he has some pictures of the kits they sell. Might give you some ideas how to DIY.

Jim

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
      #5531604 - 11/21/12 07:13 AM

Looks like you have some options whether you decide to do it yourself or have someone make it for you.

A plywood base will be stronger, lighter, and can be made water resistant by applying coats of polyeurothane. You could even make it or have it made collapsible.

One option you do not have, however, is to buy a replacement from Orion themselves, as they will not sell parts to those who are not the original owners.

Unless, of course, you can find a nearby original owner of an XT6 and have him/her order it for you. Orion ships the Dob base parts in a completely separate package from the optical tube assembly btw.

madscientist
sage

#5531671 - 11/21/12 08:26 AM

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. I will look at the different options and pursue the most affordable. By the way, it was a great deal. That's why I got the scope even without the base. It came with 3 eye pieces, a moon filter, a star chart, and a telrad.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5532271 - 11/21/12 01:26 PM

Place an ad over on Amart. I had an XT4.5 base that I wasn't using, and I saw an ad for someone looking for one. I shipped it off, and now he has a nice dob base and mine is mounted on an EQ mount. Or you can build one as others have suggested.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5532614 - 11/21/12 04:35 PM

Original Poster, where do you live (generally)? If you have no luck with other options, I'd cut out a baltic birch base for you and ship it to you (in CONUS) if you paid for the wood and freight. You could sand and finish it to taste... The postage would be the worst part.

timfiskwa

Reged: 12/22/07

Loc: Richardson, TX
Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5532927 - 11/21/12 08:39 PM

I built a very simple design for a base and cradle from the free San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers website dated @2005. All you need is 3/4" 4 X 8 plywood and tools. I did my 10" on a weekend. Very strong, durable, and reliable.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? new [Re: timfiskwa]
      #5533710 - 11/22/12 10:41 AM

Home Depot sells 2' x 4' ready-cut panels of plywood in various thicknesses between 1/2" & 3/4". I have used those to make my Dob bases in the past.

madscientist
sage

Re: Orion XT 6 Classic - Where to obtain Cradle? [Re: coopman]
      #5539279 - 11/25/12 07:13 PM

I live in South Florida. Thanks for your offer. I have been busy with work and have not had a chance to look. I have a couple of days off next week and I will use some of that time to find a base. If I can't find anything, I will take you up on that offer. Thanks, again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 755

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics