Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
artcarter

Reged: 08/22/12

Loc: Olympia, WA
Purchase of iOptron iEQ30 - good vs bad
      #5539322 - 11/25/12 07:43 PM

I'm contemplating the purchase of iOptron iEQ30 along with a C6 OTA.

Here's my dilemma. I had a stroke a few years a ago and I'm limited on what I can lift and manipulate. I'd like to get an iEQ45 w/ a C8 but I'm not sure I can handle that size. Would like to do some planetary & DSO AP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this mount?

TIA
Art

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Purchase of iOptron iEQ30 - good vs bad new [Re: artcarter]
      #5539365 - 11/25/12 08:18 PM

I do not have this mount but I have seen one set up and it looks to be a very compact and easily managed package to me. I imagine the heaviest component would not be more than 10-12 pounds.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Purchase of iOptron iEQ30 - good vs bad new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5539380 - 11/25/12 08:30 PM

Hi Art:

Are you thinking about astrophotography, or just visual? If you're looking at visual alone, you might be better off getting something like the NexStar 6SE. Celestron is having a sale on them now, so they are $80 cheaper than normal.

-Dan

artcarter

Reged: 08/22/12

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Purchase of iOptron iEQ30 - good vs bad new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5539423 - 11/25/12 09:12 PM

I plan on doing AP.

Art

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5539543 - 11/25/12 10:35 PM

I've had the iEQ30 since it came out (one of the first). Great mount. I can one-hand the mount head easily (granted, I'm 6'2" and in good shape...but a bad back even things out, so I don't really want to push it by "weightlifting").

I'm using a 6" "Baby" PowerNewt, Borg guidescope, etc (about 15 lbs, altogether) and am just getting the AP gear "debugged," but it go-to's well (even with an ES 152mm achro that I use for visual) and tracks well. Mine doesn't play nice with TheSkyX and had to give that software up...but everything else (MaxIm DL, Sky Safari, etc.) all work well. It has a very nice controller (though, at the moment, the latest two-star alignment firmware they have is messed up, and they're fixing it), and the polarscope is not quite Tak accurate, but not far off...plus it's plain simple. The built-in GPS is nice as well. The customer service is excellent.

I'm using the pier, which is a bit bulky to transport, but is easy and light to set up - never used the tripod.

If you have any particular questions, PM me, or ask away here.

Paul

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5539603 - 11/25/12 11:16 PM

Quote:

I plan on doing AP.

Art

In that case I think the iEQ30 would be a good choice and a good match for the C6. I have the iEQ45, and 30 is just a smaller version. I love it and especially love the light weight for its carrying capacity. The 30 should be quite a bit lighter and should be easy for you to handle.

-Dan

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5539644 - 11/25/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

I'm contemplating the purchase of iOptron iEQ30 along with a C6 OTA.

Here's my dilemma. I had a stroke a few years a ago and I'm limited on what I can lift and manipulate. I'd like to get an iEQ45 w/ a C8 but I'm not sure I can handle that size. Would like to do some planetary & DSO AP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this mount?
TIA
Art

I don't have the 30 or 45 but plan to get a small AP mount in 2013. The IEQ 30 is the one I'm mainly interested in. It will be used with a pair of 80mm refractors for AP. I have an LX80 and even if it works out for beginning AP, it is just too heavy for me and my arthritic hips and knees.

Jim langley

Reged: 07/02/11

Loc: New Holland, PA
Re: Purchase of iOptron iEQ30 - good vs bad new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5542948 - 11/27/12 10:15 PM

I have been researching information on this mount for my c8 and AP. I wonder if the mount can handle this tube and associated AP equipment, (DSLR, guidescope, etc)?

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Purchase of iOptron iEQ30 - good vs bad new [Re: Jim langley]
      #5543066 - 11/27/12 11:28 PM

Jim - you going to use a guidescope or OAG? The DSLR is kinda heavy, so it'll be right on the edge for the iEQ30, would be my guess. Might make a difference on what you use to guide.

Paul

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Purchase of iOptron iEQ30 - good vs bad new [Re: psandelle]
      #5543078 - 11/27/12 11:38 PM

Jim:

I think an 8" SCT would be ok on this mount for visual use. For AP, you have to add a lot of weight with the camera, guide scope, autoguider, mounting hardware, etc. By the time you add it all up, you're probably pushing 20-25 pounds or so. For a mount that's rated at 30 pounds load, you should really only load it at 1/2 to 2/3 of that for AP use. So the iEQ30 should be at about 15-20 pounds or less for good AP performance.

Seems like you could make it work for AP with the 8" SCT, but it might be a bit on the edge. I know people who are imaging with an 8" SCT on a CG-5 and can get some reasonable results. But it will cause more frustration and you'll be throwing out more subs than if you had a higher capacity mount like the iEQ45.

-Dan

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1319

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics