Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Tony from Tulsa

Reged: 09/30/12

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. new
      #5538687 - 11/25/12 12:45 PM

Ok guys, I've had pretty good luck in the last two weeks with the scope. But I adjusted the backlash setting yesterday, and it didn't track worth a hoot last night. Should I just put the settings back to zero? I set it to 20 in base (azimuth?) and 10 in the z axis (fork arm?) it seemed to work back and forth in both axis without much slack, though it seemed to jump a little in all directions when I first pushed the directional buttons. Does any of this make any sense to anyone? Also, when I align, it tells me the starfinder is off, but it looks to be pretty close to me. How do I get it closer on center with the scope? It is the stock Celestron starfinder. Thanks for putting up with my rookie questions!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. new [Re: Tony from Tulsa]
      #5538807 - 11/25/12 02:12 PM

Hi Tony,

The backslash settings are best done in the daytime. If you can,focus on a wall or something similar with a pattern. This allows you to see what the scope is doing. Make sure you align the scope first, a mock alignment will do.

Set the slew rate fairly low (I use 3 or 4) and set each axis in turn. Just slew the scope back and forth until you are happy with the Az setting and then up and down to set the Alt setting.

What you are trying to achieve is a smooth pick up and an instant stop in both Alt and Az. It does not matter what numbers you end up with. All scopes are different. Some of the lads end up with very high numbers, mine are 5 and 5.
You will most likely find that you have a delay in the pick up. This is quite normal, I have a 3 to 4 second delay on mine.

The "Star finder off" message is the scope reminding you to turn the RDF off after alignment.

Regards. Peter.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #5538887 - 11/25/12 02:53 PM

Hi Tony:

Your Starfinder Off question made me chuckle because more than one of us has been fooled by it. It means "Turn the Starfinder off", not "The Starfinder is off from alignment".

Just for terminology, the base rotation is referred to as azimuth (as you suspected), and the fork arm axis rotation is referred to as altitude.

Peter's advice is spot on for the adjustments. The main goal is an instant stop without any jerking back and forth - don't worry about a delay for startup. However, the mount behaves differently before and after alignment. Be sure you adjust for backlash AFTER alignment. If you're adjusting during the day, you still need to do a mock alignment.

-Dan

Tony from Tulsa

Reged: 09/30/12

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5538910 - 11/25/12 03:03 PM

Haha!! Starfinder off. I got it. Geez, I'm an idiot. That made me laugh too.
Thanks for the advice, I'll do a mock alignment and set them from there. Or try to, anyway. I appreciate it, guys

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5538980 - 11/25/12 03:36 PM

Quote:

Hi Tony:

Your Starfinder Off question made me chuckle because more than one of us has been fooled by it. It means "Turn the Starfinder off", not "The Starfinder is off from alignment".

-Dan

You can count me IN.

Regards. Peter.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. new [Re: Tony from Tulsa]
      #5539813 - 11/26/12 04:54 AM

Quote:

Ok guys, I've had pretty good luck in the last two weeks with the scope. But I adjusted the backlash setting yesterday, and it didn't track worth a hoot last night. Should I just put the settings back to zero? I set it to 20 in base (azimuth?) and 10 in the z axis (fork arm?) it seemed to work back and forth in both axis without much slack, though it seemed to jump a little in all directions when I first pushed the directional buttons. Does any of this make any sense to anyone? Also, when I align, it tells me the starfinder is off, but it looks to be pretty close to me. How do I get it closer on center with the scope? It is the stock Celestron starfinder. Thanks for putting up with my rookie questions!

LOL

I'd not looked at it that way before but I can see why you thought that.

It is a puzzling message to be sure. Couldn't someone at the big C have come up with "Now turn your starfinder off" instead? Even "Turn your starfinder off" if they were short of space would do rather than the enigmatic message it currently displays.

One of my favourite sayings (although rather depressingly true) is this ...

The big trouble with common sense is ...

... it's not that common!

So come on Celestron. How about fixing this message in the next sofware update? I'm guessing that it isn't that hard to do!

Art

BuckW
journeyman

Reged: 11/23/12

Re: Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5539926 - 11/26/12 08:28 AM

Sure am glad to run across this post -- I am new to this and was considering posting the question about remembering to turn off the finder ;-) I have realigned that thing a number of times due to that same message - just knew I was doing something wrong - that was going to be another question.

Thanks to all of you for sharing and your patience.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. new [Re: BuckW]
      #5539993 - 11/26/12 09:43 AM

Hi Buck and welcome to the asylum!

Glad our discussion helped with your understanding. Never hesitate to ask a question here, no matter how simple it may seem. We've all been there and are happy to help!

-Dan

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #5540015 - 11/26/12 10:05 AM

Hi Buck,

Welcome aboard.

Dan's right, we all have questions at one time or another - but this is the safest forum where you can ask 'em as we never put anyone down and we're happy to help. We were all new too at some point.

Art

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Nexstar 8SE tracking and starfinder questions. [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5540288 - 11/26/12 01:13 PM

Yep we all have scratched our heads over that one back in the day! Strange message indeed! I know the message still comes up after alignment, but I don't even see it anymore.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 837

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics