Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Orion Low Profile Focuser installation Issue XT8i new [Re: BDS316]
      #5540285 - 11/26/12 01:11 PM

That is a sweet-looking scope Bryan! I was definitely considering the Moonlite as well, but found a good used deal on the focuser mentioned in this thread and was luckily able to make it work.

Do you have to use counterweights for the Moonlite? I don't see any in the pic but I know others have stated such.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Orion Low Profile Focuser installation Issue XT8i new [Re: Starman81]
      #5540313 - 11/26/12 01:33 PM

Quote:

That is a sweet-looking scope Bryan! I was definitely considering the Moonlite as well, but found a good used deal on the focuser mentioned in this thread and was luckily able to make it work.

Do you have to use counterweights for the Moonlite? I don't see any in the pic but I know others have stated such.

I have used a few different counterweight systems on GoldenEye (so named for the Golden colored Moonlite) but the focuser isn't that heavy. Balancing is for the Telrad/dew shield and the heavy eyepieces more than anything.

I got epoxy-coated doughnut magnets 3 inches diameter about half a pound each form American Science and Surplus for a few bucks each and three of them balance the scope nicely when put on the bottom of the tube opposite the focuser and Telrad, not seen in the picture.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Orion Low Profile Focuser installation Issue XT8i [Re: BDS316]
      #5540528 - 11/26/12 03:33 PM

The OP's replacement focuser is made by LongPerng in Taiwan, and is every bit as good as the GSO focusers.
The issue is the sliding focuser tube, and here is how to use it correctly.
Find out which eyepiece requires more out-movement of the focuser to achieve focus. Slide the tube out *just* to the point where this eyepiece focuses. Lock the drawtube slider in place at that point and never move it again. You can measure how far out it is at several points if you think it's not square.
Since every other eyepiece should come to focus with the focuser slightly racked in, this should allow all eyepieces to focus with the least amount of extension on the sliding tube.
By the way, the sliding tube was designed around the use of cameras, which typically require a much more Inward position of the focuser than eyepieces.
I've used this focuser and like it a lot.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2961

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics