Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5539257 - 11/25/12 06:56 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

And a shot with the reducer. Both are 150 frame/10fps stacks using Sharpcap freeware instead of the provided Amcap, and running the AVI output through Avistack2.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skylook123
Postmaster

#5539270 - 11/25/12 07:09 PM Attachment (70 downloads)

Here is a solar shot I took about a year ago. The amount of effort to get the settings to capture an image is quite a lot, but it is a $90 device.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#5539280 - 11/25/12 07:14 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

Finally, setting the gamma to zero brings out the prominences while wiping out the solar disk, but it was setting behind Sombrero Peak, about 15 miles from my back yard.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV [Re: Skylook123]
      #5540565 - 11/26/12 03:56 PM

Jim,

Great shots. I love the Saguaro silhouettes.

Interesting comments about the sensitivity of the adjustments. I've noticed something similar with some video capture apps and a webcam. Changing the app really helped me ... for example using Sharpcap made things quite a bit easier.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5573317 - 12/15/12 10:13 PM

Thanks, Mark. I was a bit surprised at the time to see the relatively close cactus in focus, so I stopped shutting everything down and grabbed 150 or so frames. And Sharpcap not only made the adjustments easier, but it saves a companion text file with the AVI file that gives the settings used. With Amcap, I had to make my own notes in Excel.

Two weeks ago I tried Jupiter with the 90mm, but there was not enough focuser travel outward without the reducer, nor inward with the reducer. Then clouds came in so I couldn't try some extension tricks without the reducer, nor pulling off the diagonal to get more in-travel with the reducer, and I haven't had time to go back and try Jupiter again. But, as with the sun and moon, focus is right up there with the other parameters on all or nothing in the eyepiece. The image at full in-travel was like a basketball, with the two available moons right where they should be, but it would have needed another 1/8" of in travel to get bands on the image in focus. Now we're in three days of rain. Figures.

ohioalfa64
sage

Reged: 08/16/12

Loc: Ohio (NW)
      #5942243 - 06/26/13 10:27 PM

Has anyone captured Jupitor or Saturn through this? Has anyone tried it attached through a large Dob?

Atl
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/12

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #5942295 - 06/26/13 11:04 PM

This camera is a severely over priced web cam.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#5942360 - 06/26/13 11:59 PM

Quote:

Has anyone captured Jupitor or Saturn through this? Has anyone tried it attached through a large Dob?

If I recall correctly, the native 5mm equivalent focal length means that even with a 0.5X Antares focal reducer on the camera, the sky flies through the image; tracking is essential to even get the image into the FOV. I was using it on an 18" f/5 Teeter dob with no tracking. Maybe with a lot of practice one could develop the human powered skill to keep the object centered, but life is too short for me to work at it. I reverted to the 10" SCT.

ohioalfa64
sage

#5943796 - 06/27/13 08:47 PM

Any alternate thoughts on an economical means ($100)of capturing images through the focuser of a Dob for planetary viewing? I was thinking of using a 2x Powermate instead of focal reducer. At 10 to 15 shots per second, can't you capture the planetary image rather quickly (instantaneously).

ohioalfa64
sage

#5944838 - 06/28/13 01:48 PM

Does using a Flip mirror diagonal help with the manual focusing and keeping image in sight prior to focusing on computer?

Skylook123
Postmaster

#5944903 - 06/28/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

Any alternate thoughts on an economical means ($100)of capturing images through the focuser of a Dob for planetary viewing? I was thinking of using a 2x Powermate instead of focal reducer. At 10 to 15 shots per second, can't you capture the planetary image rather quickly (instantaneously).

I should clarify. My comments were related to using the SSSSI IV one night on the big 18" f/5. I have acquaintances who in fact use web cams to take image bursts with 8" f/6 and 10" f/4.8 dobs and post process the image stack. I just couldn't believe how fast the image field blew across the monitor screen so I gave up immediately. Dob and web cam use on planets is often done. I just had no patience to try, with the small, high power field of view of the Orion device.

ohioalfa64
sage

#5945006 - 06/28/13 03:21 PM

I completely understand and its part of the paradox of trying with the SSSCI IV or NexImage 5 in a Dob. They are both relatively cheap and obviously not made for the problems associated with Dobs and accuracy in tracking.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid, David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4939

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics