Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Ceres (& Vesta) new
      #5540145 - 11/26/12 11:23 AM Attachment (55 downloads)

Taurus is now more visible to me, and as of last night I confirmed my 4th asteroid using a Questar 3.5, (1)Ceres {although I think it is now a dwarf planet}. And I again found (4)Vesta -- my observations of (2)Pallas & (3)Juno were reported earlier on CN (click here). I have found the Questar quite suitable for finding the four brightest asteroids.

I've attached the sketch I made for (1)Ceres -- low power (50x to 70x) was sufficient for viewing.

Both asteriods are in the general vicinity east and southeast of Jupiter (Sky & Telescope Dec'12, p50, has a decent finder chart). Ceres is above (N) and between 1 Gem and 3 Gem, moving NW, and it doesn't seem to be very bright (~8th magnitude), but it should brighten over the next few weeks as it reaches opposition (ditto with Vesta). Vesta is WNW of 111 Tau, moving W, and is a little brighter than Ceres (~7th magnitude). I was able to view these objects even with a bright >90% moon, so give it a try in your Questar and post your results and/or tips for others.

{Edited to correct the link}

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JimK
Skygazer

Re: Ceres (& Vesta) new [Re: JimK]
      #5540150 - 11/26/12 11:24 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

I've attached the sketch I made for (4)Vesta -- low power (50x to 70x) was sufficient for viewing.

Les
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/22/06

Loc: Maryland
Re: Ceres (& Vesta) new [Re: JimK]
      #5540951 - 11/26/12 08:13 PM

Jim,

What is the elapsed time between positions plotted? The "click here" link seems to point back to this post.

JimK
Skygazer

Re: Ceres (& Vesta) [Re: Les]
      #5541077 - 11/26/12 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info on the link -- I have corrected my error.

Each sketch shows the position of an asteroid during two observations -- the arrow on the right corresponds to the time/date in the upper right, and the arrow on left matches the time/date in the lower left. The movement is over a 24-hour time period between my observations.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 580

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics