Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: TEC 200 new [Re: Mirzam]
      #4253744 - 12/17/10 01:39 AM

Thanks Jim, appreciate the background.,

Regards,

skybsd

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #4256130 - 12/18/10 11:28 AM

Quote:

I contacted a company in Florida, the name of which was given to me by Teton Telescopes (who had nothing to do with my used scope other than being a US retailer for APM). I don't recall the name of the Florida company, but my understanding was that they did service work for APM products. Anyway they discussed the problem with me but did not agree to try and fix the problem. It's not like I was looking for warranty service--I was willing to pay them! However, the problem may also be unfixable, in which case they took the safe option.

The moral of this tale is that purchasing expensive used equipment always has some risk. If Thomas Back were still around my experience might have been different. Let's leave it at that.

JimC

That LZOS 180mm should be an awesome lens. I'd probably start calling TEC and begging them to make me a new lens cell for some $$$.

Maybe in the midst of all that lens-grinding they might have some down-time in the machine shop for custom work.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: TEC 200 new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5539786 - 11/26/12 03:35 AM

Quote:

Yuri hints that 200FL's may become available in the future, but probably not 200ED's. Either way, breathe deep do not hold breath.

In case that TEC will again bring the 200FL, what focal ratio would you prefer to see on that big boy: f/7 or f/8?

Stephan

MrGrytt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/28/05

Loc: Upstate Cuomostan
      #5539898 - 11/26/12 07:36 AM

Quote:

Well, I can tell you one problem. I have a 180mm TMB with a poorly designed lens cell that does not hold the rear element with proper centering. My reason for keeping it is to rework the cell myself one of these days to try and revive the thing. Unfortunately, when TMB passed on, APM did not take up the cause or support the scopes that they had manufactured on TMB's behalf. Long term support is one of the great benefits of dealing with TEC, although I have never heard of their scopes requiring any support. (And I have owned two).

JimC

It sounds like you have one of the early 180 f/9 scopes that was significantly cheaper than the 175 f/8. It also did not use OK4 ED glass. That is the one scope that Thomas said he wished he had never allowed to be made. It had serious cell problems and has been a pain for everyone.

Harvey

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: TEC 200 new [Re: MrGrytt]
      #5540002 - 11/26/12 09:52 AM

Yes, and I still have that scope on my to-do list--I want to modify the cell slightly to beef up the collimation screws and possibly improve the way the rear lens element is held in. The scope was brilliant when collimation is on.

JimC

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5540381 - 11/26/12 02:12 PM

I had an interesting discussion with Roland about old scopes at ASAE. He thinks people are crazy to pay a premium for his old scopes. I have the distinct impression he really never set out to be the master, and now that he is, it's an unusual situation for him.

Anyway, he is anything but sentimental about his own equipment, which I though was odd at first, but then I realized if Roland and Yuri weren't that way, they'd be insufferable fatheads. So, I'll take the versions who put serious effort into nice telescopes, and when the glass is available and things look right, they make masterpieces they're willing to sell at cost.

-Rich

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: TEC 200 new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5540451 - 11/26/12 02:48 PM

"I had an interesting discussion with Roland about old scopes at ASAE. He thinks people are crazy to pay a premium for his old scopes."

I'm glad to see that Roland and I agree on what I have been saying all along.

Edited by RodgerHouTex (11/26/12 02:49 PM)

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: TEC 200 new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5540548 - 11/26/12 03:45 PM

Quote:

"I had an interesting discussion with Roland about old scopes at ASAE. He thinks people are crazy to pay a premium for his old scopes."

The problem is, this could be said of anything. Cars, watches, musical instruments, etc, etc, etc. Quality sets the benchmark, then scarcity brings its own value. I'd love to buy a Stradivarius for 70 or so Lira or Florins or whatever was the coin 'du jour', an air worthy P-51 Mustang for the $15K or so they were made for, or a Ferrari 250 GTO for $18K, etc.

Oh, and anytime you want to dump your Astro-Physics 10"Mak-Cass or 305RH or AP175, or AP180 or . . . at original cost, be sure to let me know!

elbee
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Arizona
Re: TEC 200 new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5540571 - 11/26/12 04:00 PM

roland's scopes are harder to come by, but there really are equal quality alternatives -- TEC, for one, and TAK owners would probably argue the same. why pay $7k+ for a 'used new' AP130 when you can get a TEC140 without much trouble and $1500+ less?

i also just "don't get it"

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: TEC 200 new [Re: elbee]
      #5540632 - 11/26/12 04:37 PM

Quote:

roland's scopes are harder to come by, but there really are equal quality alternatives -- TEC, for one, and TAK owners would probably argue the same. why pay $7k+ for a 'used new' AP130 when you can get a TEC140 without much trouble and $1500+ less?

i also just "don't get it"

Lets see.
1) the AP130GT is designed to disassemble, a huge boon for those who travel via air
2) the AP130 GT is f/6.3 and the AP130EDFS is between f/6.0 to f/6.3 depending on the run. Both are faster for astrophoto use than the f/7 TEC140.
3) the faster focal ratio means that the tubes are more compact and the tubes are smaller overall.
4) a large format field flattener is available for the AP130. It is not always available for the TEC140.

So, yes the TEC140 is a WONDERFUL telescope. There are some reasons people would prefer it over the AP130. There are also some reasons people would prefer the AP130 over the TEC140.

Now the TAK TOA series is supposed to have excellent optics. It is also very heavy for its size. It is also fixed length and quite long at that with a focal ratio of f/7.7. Again, some people would prefer it over either the TEC or the AP. I'm not one of them.

I completely understand my preference! Yes, I get it!

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: TEC 200 [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5541491 - 11/27/12 03:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The problem is, this could be said of anything. Cars, watches, musical instruments, etc, etc, etc. Quality sets the benchmark, then scarcity brings its own value. I'd love to buy a Stradivarius for 70 or so Lira or Florins or whatever was the coin 'du jour', an air worthy P-51 Mustang for the $15K or so they were made for, or a Ferrari 250 GTO for $18K, etc.

Oh, and anytime you want to dump your Astro-Physics 10"Mak-Cass or 305RH or AP175, or AP180 or . . . at original cost, be sure to let me know!

I think it comes down to the intended purpose of the buyer. If it's astronomy there's no good reason to pay premium prices for old AstroPhysics telescopes.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: TEC 200 new [Re: BPO]
      #5541568 - 11/27/12 06:43 AM

Quote:

I think it comes down to the intended purpose of the buyer. If it's astronomy there's no good reason to pay premium prices for old AstroPhysics telescopes.

+1

Stephan

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: TEC 200 new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5541716 - 11/27/12 09:27 AM

When I met Roland at the ASAE I told him I wanted to shake the hand of the best refractor builder in the business and he blushed bright red!

Paul

Quote:

I had an interesting discussion with Roland about old scopes at ASAE. He thinks people are crazy to pay a premium for his old scopes. I have the distinct impression he really never set out to be the master, and now that he is, it's an unusual situation for him.

Anyway, he is anything but sentimental about his own equipment, which I though was odd at first, but then I realized if Roland and Yuri weren't that way, they'd be insufferable fatheads. So, I'll take the versions who put serious effort into nice telescopes, and when the glass is available and things look right, they make masterpieces they're willing to sell at cost.

-Rich

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: TEC 200 new [Re: BPO]
      #5542442 - 11/27/12 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess that would put you firmly into the first group. The first group doesn't own an Astro-Physics telescope and likely never will.

Now just what does all this have to do with the TEC200 anyway? I can't even imagine how I would go about handling such a beast!

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
      #5542749 - 11/27/12 08:12 PM

> I can't even imagine how I would go about handling
> such a beast!

I do it like a firewood carry. I first lift it by the top 23" dovetail plate and then I cradle it like a bundle of firewood until it is completely mounted in the tip-in saddle.

It gets heavy. In 0F weather it gets heavy and paralyzingly cold.

My TEC200 turns 5 this Christmas.

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: TEC 200 new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5543141 - 11/28/12 12:36 AM

Quote:

> I can't even imagine how I would go about handling
> such a beast!

I do it like a firewood carry. I first lift it by the top 23" dovetail plate and then I cradle it like a bundle of firewood until it is completely mounted in the tip-in saddle.

It gets heavy. In 0F weather it gets heavy and paralyzingly cold.

My TEC200 turns 5 this Christmas.

Brrr. It would stay on the mount until it was warm out. An f/7 180 is positively portable in comparison and I handle it in the same manner you describe, minus the cold weather. I drop back a size when it starts getting cold out. I just had a look at your pics on pbase. Now perspective makes the OTA look larger than it actually is, but still, your TEC200 is HUGE. Just how much does it weigh when it is ready to do the oof, I hope I don't get a hernia, on to the mount? I know for a fact that I won't even bother getting one and trying to lift it myself.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#5543201 - 11/28/12 01:38 AM Attachment (54 downloads)

The TEC200 is an astonishing 20 lbs. lighter than this 8" TMB at least.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: TEC 200 new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5543204 - 11/28/12 01:40 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

TEC200

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
      #5543240 - 11/28/12 02:39 AM

> Just how much does it weigh when it is ready

I think its 50 lbs bare and about 80 lbs dressed with all the stuff I bolt on mine.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5543245 - 11/28/12 02:50 AM

The pic two posts above this of the TEC in the driveway is awesome.

Nice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7034

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics