Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
evil16v

Reged: 08/18/12

Loc: N.E. Kansas
ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new
      #5541243 - 11/26/12 10:56 PM

I'm in the market to upgrade my eyepieces (and eye-wear)and would like to discuss a few interrelated issues I am looking at.

First...I am really sold on The ES82's, as I have recently viewed through some comparable Naglers (according to some here)recently. I can't really afford the Naglers @300 odd a piece. But there is one feature Televue has that is desirable to me... The Astigmatism-Correcting Lenses. Has anyone tried to fit the Dioptrx to an ES82? Is it possible? I'm not apposed to turning an adapter ring of sort, if it is configurable. I don't know how the Dioptrx "lock" to the eyepiece. Is it an O-ring by chance?

I have an Astigmatism in both eyes of 1.5, according to a phone call to the optometrists office i got my last pair of glasses from. They made no mention of any other correction. I believe I am having problems viewing through my 9mm Plossl (Eye-relief is 6mm). I can't quite get close enough to focus w/my glasses on, and feel like i am missing out with my glasses off. Do you guy think i am really having that much issue with that amount of astigmatism? Below are the eye relief specs on the ES82s. Should I just use glasses with the increased eye-relief of the 82's?

4.7mm 14mm

6.7mm 14mm

11mm 15mm

14mm 15mm

18mm 13mm

24mm 17mm

30mm 21mm

Next week, I am getting another eye exam for a new pair of glasses. My current pair now are polycarbonate corrected by 1.5,and have an Anti glare coating that i am not sure i like. The 3 year old coating started delaminating a year or so ago, and scratches REALLY easy. Do you guys use coated Glasses? anything special i should ask for? I need to Decide what I want next week, when I order the new ones.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism [Re: evil16v]
      #5541494 - 11/27/12 03:50 AM

There is a table on the Teleview site giving the exit pupil where astigmatism becomes an issue. Dioptrix Table. For 1.5 dioptres you should not not notice astigmatism in focus with eyepieces giving an exit pupil of less than about 1.5mm, so of less than about 9mm focal length for your F/5.91.

The Explore Scientfic eye relief figures do not correspond with my experience of usability, probably because they are true eye relief figures from the centre of the last lens which is, in some cases, deeply recessed and concave. I found the 14mm to be unusable with spectacles even with a fully dark adapted eye. The 8.8mm is acceptable to me and the 4.7mm marginal at best.

I use spectacles most of the time for viewing except from critical viewing of planets at high magnifications. I have found polycarbonate in the past to be fragile. I now have multifocal spectacles with high index glass lenses (not possible in the US perhaps), but have that these do not work well for astronomy, because of the constraints on head angle. I have had a special pair of astronomy spectacles made with lenses quite close to my eye with one viewing lens on infinity and the other set close for handling equipment and viewing charts, etc.

Edited by cjc (11/27/12 04:09 AM)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new [Re: cjc]
      #5542186 - 11/27/12 01:52 PM

I too would like to know if I can fit a Dioptrx on the ES eyepieces. My preference would be with the 68 degree widefields, as the longer eye relief is necessary. We need someone to remove the rubber eyeguard, and with plastic calipers measure the diameter of the slot where the rubber eyeguard resides. The Dioptrx uses a twist compression ring to fix it into this slot.

I have 1.0 correction and currently use the Dioptrx with a Pan 27 and a Pan 22. These combo's work perfectly. I'm hoping to figure out a way to attach a Dioptrx to my 34mm Meade SWA.

evil16v

#5542603 - 11/27/12 06:35 PM

Quote:

There is a table on the Teleview site giving the exit pupil where astigmatism becomes an issue. Dioptrix Table. For 1.5 dioptres you should not not notice astigmatism in focus with eyepieces giving an exit pupil of less than about 1.5mm, so of less than about 9mm focal length for your F/5.91.

The Explore Scientfic eye relief figures do not correspond with my experience of usability, probably because they are true eye relief figures from the centre of the last lens which is, in some cases, deeply recessed and concave. I found the 14mm to be unusable with spectacles even with a fully dark adapted eye. The 8.8mm is acceptable to me and the 4.7mm marginal at best.

I use spectacles most of the time for viewing except from critical viewing of planets at high magnifications. I have found polycarbonate in the past to be fragile. I now have multifocal spectacles with high index glass lenses (not possible in the US perhaps), but have that these do not work well for astronomy, because of the constraints on head angle. I have had a special pair of astronomy spectacles made with lenses quite close to my eye with one viewing lens on infinity and the other set close for handling equipment and viewing charts, etc.

I missed that!!! I really appreciate the link. That is very useful, need to know info for a person with Astigmatism.

I wonder if my Astigmatism has worsened over the last 3 years. That would mean i am on the ragged edge with the 9MM EP. The ES8.8 would put me over the line. Not good.

Thanks for the info on the ESs and eye wear too!

evil16v

Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new [Re: SteveG]
      #5542623 - 11/27/12 06:51 PM

Quote:

I too would like to know if I can fit a Dioptrx on the ES eyepieces. My preference would be with the 68 degree widefields, as the longer eye relief is necessary. We need someone to remove the rubber eyeguard, and with plastic calipers measure the diameter of the slot where the rubber eyeguard resides. The Dioptrx uses a twist compression ring to fix it into this slot.

I have 1.0 correction and currently use the Dioptrx with a Pan 27 and a Pan 22. These combo's work perfectly. I'm hoping to figure out a way to attach a Dioptrx to my 34mm Meade SWA.

X2

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new [Re: evil16v]
      #5542832 - 11/27/12 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I missed that!!! I really appreciate the link. That is very useful, need to know info for a person with Astigmatism.

I wonder if my Astigmatism has worsened over the last 3 years. That would mean i am on the ragged edge with the 9MM EP. The ES8.8 would put me over the line. Not good.

Definitely you want to experiment with it. I have 1.25 diopters of astigmatism. I've found that a 1.4mm exit pupil is just bothersome enough that I prefer glasses still. Below 1.2mm astimatism is no longer a problem for me.

Dave

ji4m

Reged: 12/29/10

#5543002 - 11/27/12 10:42 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I only have the 16mm eyepiece, but the width of the slot is 29.0mm with an axial length of 3.5mm. The top ring is 31.9mm wide and 1.35mm thick.

cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new [Re: ji4m]
      #5543251 - 11/28/12 02:56 AM

The 4.7mm and 8.8mm have the same top dimensions as the 16mm, and as I recall the 14mm does also. I guess they all do up to 16mm.

The 16mm is very marginal with spectacles for me, like the 4.7.

SteveG
Post Laureate

#5543877 - 11/28/12 01:15 PM

Quote:

You may have this backwards. You scope, at f6, delivers about a 1.5mm exit pupil with a 9mm eyepiece. This is the cut-off point, or smallest exit pupil where you would likely notice astigmatism. Shorter focal lengths would show less - or none. It's the longer focal lengths that will show your astigmatism.

Oh, and after 3 years you could be off on your astigmatism. I would get it checked. I'm currently waiting on buying another Dioptrx until my next eye exam.

evil16v

Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new [Re: russell23]
      #5544465 - 11/28/12 08:03 PM

Thank you. That kinda gives me a benchmark.

I have an eye appointment next week. I'll have all the current specs and maybe a discussion about this with the doc by this time next week.

evil16v

Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new [Re: ji4m]
      #5544468 - 11/28/12 08:06 PM

Quote:

I only have the 16mm eyepiece, but the width of the slot is 29.0mm with an axial length of 3.5mm. The top ring is 31.9mm wide and 1.35mm thick.

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Now i need the nagler/dioptrix specs.

evil16v

#5544474 - 11/28/12 08:09 PM

Quote:

The 4.7mm and 8.8mm have the same top dimensions as the 16mm, and as I recall the 14mm does also. I guess they all do up to 16mm.

The 16mm is very marginal with spectacles for me, like the 4.7.

OK... now we know those! This is just getting better. thank You!

evil16v

#5544516 - 11/28/12 08:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You may have this backwards. You scope, at f6, delivers about a 1.5mm exit pupil with a 9mm eyepiece. This is the cut-off point, or smallest exit pupil where you would likely notice astigmatism. Shorter focal lengths would show less - or none. It's the longer focal lengths that will show your astigmatism.

Oh, and after 3 years you could be off on your astigmatism. I would get it checked. I'm currently waiting on buying another Dioptrx until my next eye exam.

Your right... I do. Now this makes better sense. Now I understand how the 'Eye Pupil Size vs. Age' chart on the TV site relates to this. I now understand why they suggest this is a lesser issue as we age.

I also now see why everyone is talking about longer focal Length EPs. The only two EPs i have yet, are the 9mm and the 30mm. Now, trying to remember... I go back and fourth with my glasses, but i think a majority of the time I have glasses on with the 30mm. It has pretty good eye relief. The 9mm not at all. That must be why i singled out the 9mm. So at this point, the 8.8 would in fact be better, and more so, the 6.7 and 4.7. I think I have it! Thank you for straightening me out on that! I'm just getting started so I have a lot to learn.

evil16v

#5544526 - 11/28/12 08:51 PM

This thread has good some useful info... particularly posts #6 and #11.

'Only one Dioptrx'

Apparently, an O-ring will make a dioptrx fit an ES 100* 20mm EP. I kinda wondering if that would work on an ES82*.I don't have dimensions on those.
I have a selection O-rings in a couple different size formats to try (i.e. metric vs. iso).

Edited by evil16v (11/28/12 08:55 PM)

evil16v

#5563502 - 12/10/12 02:49 AM

Ok time for an Update:

I went to the optometrist and he did change my prescription a bit. I discussed the Dioptrix with him and he said go for the 2.0.

the prescription:

side sphere cyl axis dist pd
OD -.50 -2.25 005 34
OS -1.00 -1.75 020 34

I went with Trivex lenses and hoya EX# anti-glare.

Still need the nagler/dioptrix Dimensions. Anyone?
\
Long Eye-Relief Tele Vue Eyepieces that Accept DIOPTRX™
Plössl 55, 40, 32mm
Radian 18, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3mm
Panoptic 41, 35, 27
Delos all
Nagler Type 4 22, 17, 12mm
Nagler Type 5 31, 26,
Ethos all

I may have to sit on this for a while anyway... Christmas is starting to kill the budget...

SteveG
Post Laureate

#5564353 - 12/10/12 03:13 PM

The inside diameter of the Dioptrx is 43.5mm loose, 41mm tight. I believe it will fit the ES 68 deg 28mm.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5565159 - 12/10/12 11:47 PM

Quote:

The inside diameter of the Dioptrx is 43.5mm loose, 41mm tight. I believe it will fit the ES 68 deg 28mm.

I ordered a DIOPTRX to use on my Ethos. I'll try it on my ES68 28mm when it comes in and let you know.

evil16v

Re: ES82's, Tele Vue Dioptrx, and Astigmatism new [Re: Starman81]
      #5566949 - 12/12/12 03:27 AM

Thanks guys!!

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5576637 - 12/17/12 11:49 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

I ordered a DIOPTRX to use on my Ethos. I'll try it on my ES68 28mm when it comes in and let you know.

For those who were wondering, DIOPTRX fits just fine on the ES68 28. Personally, I am fine with the ER and wearing my glasses with the ES68 28.

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
      #5576720 - 12/18/12 01:24 AM

Interesting, does it screw into the top? Is it securely attached?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
39 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1886

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics