Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
iOptron Smartstar Cube 80mm Refractor Review new
      #5533722 - 11/22/12 10:48 AM

iOptron Smartstar Cube 80mm Refractor Review

By Max Byerly

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: iOptron Smartstar Cube 80mm Refractor Review new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5541871 - 11/27/12 11:07 AM

An electric green Short Tube 80...now I HAVE seen everything.

Thanks for a great review!

ChipAtNight

Reged: 01/09/08

Loc: N.C. (Love the Blue Ridge)
Re: iOptron Smartstar Cube 80mm Refractor Review [Re: rmollise]
      #5542007 - 11/27/12 12:18 PM Attachment (156 downloads)

I have the iOptron CubePro 8200 Computerized Mount with GPS to assist in level I added a Harbor Freight laser level mount between the cube and the tripod. Sure makes it easy to level.

Driven1

Reged: 08/19/10

Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP
Re: iOptron Smartstar Cube 80mm Refractor Review new [Re: ChipAtNight]
      #5548494 - 12/01/12 09:54 AM

Great review on the 80mm iOptron.

I purchased an iOptron N114G (4.5" Newt)about 2 years ago as a starter scope. It's definitely one of their low end scopes and was available through Walmart. The "Cube" as they call their GoTo Mount is excellent as stated just as long as you get it level.

I found a few things with mine that I wasn't very happy about in the beginning but found ways to work them out. It came with a very cheap and quite unstable aluminum Tripod that has a small bubble level. I found that if I used that bubble level, the scope wouldn't track properly. After further investigation, I found that the bubble level on the tripod was WAY off. To get things perfectly level, I removed the Cube from the tripod and set it on a known perfectly level table. I then set a bubble level on the top of the GPS receiver on the top of the cube (little square box). I found that the GPS surface was off a little so I used small pieces of transparent tape where needed to get the bubble level to be dead center. I now use a bubble level on the top of the GPS receiver for leveling the Mount. Since I did this all of my tracking woes have disappeared. This thing DOES track and move from target to target amazingly well!

I also came up with a way to make the tripod nearly rock solid from a movement standpoint. Just a slight breeze would make the whole thing bounce around and was quite frustrating. What I came up with was the use of a "ground screw" and a couple of bungee cords. I screw the ground screw (from a dog tether or swing set anchor system) into the ground below the center of my tripod and then bungee the tripod spreaders to the screw. Then I make final adjustments to my leveling.

Another bit of frustration came with the focuser. It was very sloppy in side to side movement which made the scope next to impossible to collimate properly. I solved this issue by removing the focuser tube and wrapping it with a layer of aluminum tape. It's now very stable and A LOT easier to get the scope collimated. The focuser also came with a cheap plastic 1.25 tube adapter that was also very sloppy when it came to inserting lenses. I used essentially the same fix for this. The adapter was also prone to coming loose so I removed the adapter, put a couple of small dabs of glue on the tube threads and screwed the adapter back on. Problem solved.

The scope also came with a very cheap plastic "red dot" finder which was nearly impossible to keep aligned. I've since replaced that with a red dot finder designed for pistols. Stays aligned period!

I also purchased some Meade Plossle's to use along with it for more capability.

Oh! One more thing! A WARNING. If imaging, some of you may be interested in coming up with a "remote" setup so you can sit somewhere warm while the scope's outside in the freezing cold. This can be done. I'm doing it. Here's the warning. Even though the controller connecting cord looks to be a standard telephone "curly cord" it IS NOT. DO NOT CONNECT A STANDARD PHONE CORD BETWEEN THE CONTROLLER AND THE CUBE! You will fry your controller. If you look closely at the ends of your supplied controller cord and the ends of a standard phone cord, you will see that one end connector is reversed on the iOptron cord. In order to control the scope using a longer phone cord, you MUST reverse one of its ends. As stated, I purchased mine a couple of years ago. iOptron may have changed this since (at least I would hope so). So it would be best to compare the stock cord connectors with a phone cord before proceeding.

So, with all of that said, after working out all of the niggles, this is an awesome little "starter" scope. I currently even do some imaging with it using a Lifecam Studio webcam at prime focus. A relatively cheap, and easy setup for getting into Astrophotography with some surprising results.

ErnieM
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/13/04

Loc: Phoenix,AZ
Re: iOptron Smartstar Cube 80mm Refractor Review new [Re: Driven1]
      #5559340 - 12/07/12 01:51 PM

I bought a blue cube about 2 years ago and mounted an ST80mm on it.Last Christmas I bought a 130mm Vixen newt to replace the 80mm and became my favorite grab and go goto setup.Using the book "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" by Thompson and Thompson I compiled a list of seasonal objects that can be seen through a small scope. By entering the R.A and DEC. coordinates I can slew to the objects easily.I use a wide angle 30mm EP as the finder and then center the object to get a closer look using higher mags.I use a torpedo leveler on the mount to ensure accurate leveling and one on the scope to ensure accurate up position. I also mounted a Telrad on the scope for manual use.I started years ago with an ETX,though a little different I easily figured out the controller operation.I did buy this setup separately used in new condition through a retailer for under $250 and has worked perfectly for me. IMO it is a perfect setup for a beginner.I don't use batteries so I don't know how long they last.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2186

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics