Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
mawkernow

Reged: 11/27/12

DD-1 Dual axis controller dead
      #5542366 - 11/27/12 03:48 PM

I've recently come to find my DD-1 dual axis motor controller is dead, i.e. nothing happens when connected to a power supply.

Has anyone had one of these die, and know where to start with it?

I'm using this with a GP mount with RA and Dec motors, on which an Orion (UK) Optics Newtonian is mounted. As far as I'm aware, the motors themselves are OK.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillBwithley

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: Essex, UK
Re: DD-1 Dual axis controller dead new [Re: mawkernow]
      #5542579 - 11/27/12 06:15 PM

Bad news about your Vixen Controller. What power supply were you using ? I have one of these and I use the supplied battery case that uses 8 D cell batteries with no problems.
Apparently this controller will fry if you use more than 12V unregulated. I believe this is a known problem.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: DD-1 Dual axis controller dead new [Re: BillBwithley]
      #5542980 - 11/27/12 10:29 PM

Have had one around for a while, but it seems that it should use a LM7805 for IC power. The LM7804 should handle the transients. The stepper driver uses IC power and supply power, so it'd be a suspect.

rjsc2000
sage

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: Portugal
Re: DD-1 Dual axis controller dead new [Re: Geo.]
      #5543384 - 11/28/12 08:05 AM

Was the controller working ok? Did you changed the power plug for some reason? Many times the polarity is wrong and you blow up the 7805 that should exist right after the power plug in the unit.

mawkernow

Reged: 11/27/12

Re: DD-1 Dual axis controller dead new [Re: rjsc2000]
      #5547301 - 11/30/12 02:11 PM

I did change the power plug, but it was still 12V dc. I've tried a simple 12V mains adaptor, as well as a 12V from a power tank neither works.

I don't remember any specific time it stopped working, just that it didn't on the first time I used it in a good while.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
Re: DD-1 Dual axis controller dead new [Re: mawkernow]
      #5547550 - 11/30/12 05:20 PM

I've fixed a number of these. The problem is the cheap version of 7805 voltage regulator that is used in them and the fact that the polarity of the plug uses the center pin at ground vs the more common way of having the center pin hot. It can't take it if the polarity is reversed and it gets fried. This is what most likely happened. You can get much a better quality LM7805 from Radio Shack for under $2.00 and it takes about 15 minutes to replace. It is located at the bottom of the controller and attached to a metal bracket that is used as a heat sink.

- Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 597

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics